Re: Light Weight, Long Distance, Durable Road Wheels - Recommendations?

Josh McClure

Guest
Mavic CXP-33 w/ Chris King Hubs 14-15-14 DT spokes. The CK hubs give
you the opportunity to customize the appearance and give you the sealed
cartridge bearings that you are asking for. CXP-33 rims are very long
lasting, I have them built up for my winter wheels.

Josh McClure
Durst Cycles

Josh McClure wrote:
> Mavic CXP-33 w/ Chris King Hubs 14-15-14 DT spokes. The CK hubs give
> you the opportunity to customize the appearance and give you the sealed
> cartridge bearings that you are asking for. CXP-33 rims are very long
> lasting, I have them built up for my winter wheels.
>
> Josh McClure
> Durst Cycles

May want to mention that any service to CK hubs requires not only an
expensive tool but also the innards for these hubs are not cheap. A
complete set just purchased from CK was in the $125 range.

Fir sealed bearings,there are many other, cheaper, less complicated answers.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> May want to mention that any service to CK hubs requires not only an
> expensive tool but also the innards for these hubs are not cheap. A
> complete set just purchased from CK was in the $125 range.

Doesn't the whole hub come apart with an allen wrench? Or is the tool to R&R
the bearings?

Also, don't CK hubs require special lube (of exactly the right viscosity)?

Matt O.

Peter Chisholm wrote:

> Fir sealed bearings,there are many other, cheaper, less complicated
> answers.

I understand that spruce and pine bearing seals are superior to fir
bearing seals.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Peter Chisholm wrote:

>> Fir sealed bearings,there are many other, cheaper, less complicated
>> answers.

> I understand that spruce and pine bearing seals are superior to fir
> bearing seals.

Well, there *are* FIR rims...
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>

>>May want to mention that any service to CK hubs requires not only an
>>expensive tool but also the innards for these hubs are not cheap. A
>>complete set just purchased from CK was in the $125 range.

> Doesn't the whole hub come apart with an allen wrench? Or is the tool to R&R
> the bearings?
>
> Also, don't CK hubs require special lube (of exactly the right viscosity)?
>
> Matt O.

The tool is for bearing removal and reinstallation and yes they insist
on their grease. WAY over pricerd for any hub, IMO.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Peter Chisholm wrote:

>> Fir sealed bearings,there are many other, cheaper, less complicated
>> answers.

> I understand that spruce and pine bearing seals are superior to fir
> bearing seals.

Sorry, I was tiping and laughing while I was looking at a recumbent.

Peter Chisholm wrote:

> Tom Sherman wrote:
>
>> Peter Chisholm wrote:

>>> Fir sealed bearings,there are many other, cheaper, less complicated
>>> answers.

>> I understand that spruce and pine bearing seals are superior to fir
>> bearing seals.
>>

> Sorry, I was tiping and laughing while I was looking at a recumbent.

^^^^^^

Peter,

Were you still laughing after you tipped over?

Falling over on an upright bicycle hurts a lot more than falling over on
a recumbent bicycle.

--

Tom Sherman wrote:
\

> ^^^^^^
>
> Peter,
>
> Were you still laughing after you tipped over?
>
> Falling over on an upright bicycle hurts a lot more than falling over on
> a recumbent bicycle.

I would rather walk or fall over on an upright before ever owning a
'bent'. This from a guy that had his back broken( burst fracture of L3,
cracked L1, cracked C4) after being nailed by a pickup truck from
behind, whilst on a bicycle...

Course there are three wheelers, one of which I passed yesterday. Really
liked the two rear view mirrors..made me think of a old VW..while i was
laughing.