Re: Liquigas team, interesting chemistry

Tom D.

Guest
sonarrat wrote:
> It's still early in the season, but doesn't it seem like the new
> Liquigas team have taken a bunch of also-rans and raised their level?
>
> They've got no fewer than 9 exiles from the now-dead Vini Caldirola
> team, including Stefano Garzelli and sprinter Marco Zanotti. They've

> got ex-Alessio men like Magnus Backstedt and Franco Pellizotti.

There
> are riders from De Nardi, Fassa, Saeco, Lampre, Amore e Vita, Tenax,

and
> of course Cipollini from Domina Vacanze.
>
> So it might seem like it's a slapped-together collection of riders

that
> range from passable to dire, with maybe one or two exceptions... but

now
> they're making more of a dent in the scene as a unit than they ever

did
> individually. Or am I just dreaming things?

Definitely an odd mix, but there is talent. In addition to those you
mentioned, Dario Cioni had a very good 2004, and I was surprised to see
him leave Fassa (Pozzato too, for that matter). I thought Danilo Di
Luca (ex-Saeco) was headed for great things two or three years ago; he
stalled out, but may have something left.