Re-living the TdF "horses racing the peloton" scene

Mike Jacoubowsky

Guest
It seems like every year the 'Tour coverage has a shot of people on
horseback (or horses on their own) in an adjacent field, racing the riders
for a bit. On today's Primavera 100K, it was just like that! On Calaveras,
my son and I were zipping along while, just up the hill, there they were,
racing us!

Not horses.

Cows.

But hey, a couple of the younger ones get going at a pretty respectable
clip.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> It seems like every year the 'Tour coverage has a shot of people on
> horseback (or horses on their own) in an adjacent field, racing the riders
> for a bit. On today's Primavera 100K, it was just like that! On Calaveras,
> my son and I were zipping along while, just up the hill, there they were,
> racing us!
>
> Not horses.
>
> Cows.
>
> But hey, a couple of the younger ones get going at a pretty respectable
> clip.

Cows running look pretty funny. Did you see any turkeys (um, of the bird variety)?
Last time I was out there I saw a group of about 30.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

| "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
|
| > It seems like every year the 'Tour coverage has a shot of people on
| > horseback (or horses on their own) in an adjacent field, racing the
riders
| > for a bit. On today's Primavera 100K, it was just like that! On
Calaveras,
| > my son and I were zipping along while, just up the hill, there they
were,
| > racing us!
| >
| > Not horses.
| >
| > Cows.
| >
| > But hey, a couple of the younger ones get going at a pretty respectable
| > clip.
|
| Cows running look pretty funny. Did you see any turkeys (um, of the bird
variety)?
| Last time I was out there I saw a group of about 30.

Quite a few turkeys actually. My son was mad that I missed seeing one right
next to the roadway, but when I'm pulling the train, I'm focused more
directly on the road ahead and don't have a whole lot of time for
sight-seeing.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| In article <[email protected]>,
| "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
|
| > It seems like every year the 'Tour coverage has a shot of people on
| > horseback (or horses on their own) in an adjacent field, racing the
riders
| > for a bit. On today's Primavera 100K, it was just like that! On
Calaveras,
| > my son and I were zipping along while, just up the hill, there they
were,
| > racing us!
| >
| > Not horses.
| >
| > Cows.
| >
| > But hey, a couple of the younger ones get going at a pretty respectable
| > clip.
|
| Cows running look pretty funny. Did you see any turkeys (um, of the bird
variety)?
| Last time I was out there I saw a group of about 30.
|
| --
| tanx,
| Howard
|
| Whatever happened to
| Leon Trotsky?
| He got an icepick
| That made his ears burn.
|
| remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

I almost forgot the best part of the ride.

At the final rest stop, I tell my son, who's sitting in a chair resting,
that it's time to head out. To which he replies, very matter of factly-

"Dad, I'm on break."

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> It seems like every year the 'Tour coverage has a shot of people on
>> horseback (or horses on their own) in an adjacent field, racing the
>> riders
>> for a bit. On today's Primavera 100K, it was just like that! On
>> Calaveras,
>> my son and I were zipping along while, just up the hill, there they were,
>> racing us!
>>
>> Not horses.
>>
>> Cows.
>>
>> But hey, a couple of the younger ones get going at a pretty respectable
>> clip.

> Cows running look pretty funny. Did you see any turkeys (um, of the bird
> variety)?
> Last time I was out there I saw a group of about 30.
>
> --
> tanx,
> Howard
>
> Whatever happened to
> Leon Trotsky?
> He got an icepick
> That made his ears burn.
>
> remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> It seems like every year the 'Tour coverage has a shot of people on
> horseback (or horses on their own) in an adjacent field, racing the riders
> for a bit. On today's Primavera 100K, it was just like that! On Calaveras,
> my son and I were zipping along while, just up the hill, there they were,
> racing us!
>
> Not horses.
>
> Cows.
>
> But hey, a couple of the younger ones get going at a pretty respectable
> clip.

And then there's always that one fan, who, unwilling to show respect for
the riders and stay by the side of the course, has to make a horse's ass
of themselves:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-xR1HErmH8