Re: Load carrying devices.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Jun 8, 2008.

  1. On Jun 7, 12:50 pm, !Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In your opinion, what are the best rigs for carrying significant loads
    > by pedal power?  By "load", I mean a shopping cart with a week's
    > supply of groceries or similar... too much for a pannier.
    >
    > Here are a couple that I like:
    >
    > The B.O.B. trailer.http://www.bobgear.com/trailers/index.php
    > I own one of these and it pretty well lives up to its claims.  I have
    > hauled up to 60 lb in it.  (It's rated to 80.)  I find that it tracks
    > very well... we use it with a tandem and it tracks better than the
    > bike does!  It's easy to attach and drop.  Downside: it's difficult to
    > back with a load and it's a tricky balancing act getting the load into
    > the trailer.  Once you're loaded and pointed in the right direction,
    > it's great.
    >
    > The triciclo de carga built in Mexico.  Mine is like this one:http://seguro.coppel.com/coppel/info_muebles.php?codigo=516783;
    > however, different manufacturers have different configurations.  These
    > are *dangerously* unstable at high speed and have ugly turning
    > charaisterics when pedaled.  That said, they are a very good platform
    > when you need to carry loads beyond the BOB's capacity.  If you're
    > straight and level and on a good surface, they can be pedaled
    > effectively in a low gear.  If that's not so, then get off and push
    > it... it pushes easily and is quite stable for that operation.  I
    > regularly carry two carts of groceries and 15 gallons of drinking
    > water home from the store... two miles... through the snow... uphill
    > both ways...
    >
    > Others?
    >
    > Jones

    You might find some helpful ideas here:-

    http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=261

    Hope this helps.

    Lewis.

    *****

    Tags:

  2. !Jones

    !Jones Guest

    On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 07:22:19 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech

    >You might find some helpful ideas here:-
    >
    >http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=261
    >
    >Hope this helps.
    >
    >Lewis.

    Yes, I follow that one regularly.

    Thus far, in the US, anyway, we have tended to think of bicycle
    equipment as sporting goods. Bicycle racing is OK, I suppose;
    however, there are few useful innovations that follow from it... I
    can't think of any offhand, anyway. I applaud fitness riding;
    however, the people I know who ride in such groups will drive to the
    meeting point... kind of defeating the idea, IMHO.

    I suspect that as the economy continues to sour, people will tend to
    come back to the utility of the bicycle as basic transportation... I
    predict that the $4,000 bicycle will become extinct along with the
    Hummer. We will need good fenders, chain guards, and luggage carrying
    capacity. We also need well designed bicycle clothing that we can
    wear in public and keep a straight face, as well as dual-purpose shoes
    in which one can pedal effectively *and* walk. If I'm running
    errands, I really don't want to have to change my shoes at every
    destination.

    Our bicycle techies should quit thinking about how to build them
    faster where cost is not a criterion and start thinking about basic
    utility. A high-tech, CF racing bicycle is useless if I have to carry
    a laptop and a projector to a meeting and I really can't hobble in
    looking like a candy cane in spandex. It's time to look over the next
    horizon.

    Jones

  3. TBerk

    TBerk Guest

    On Jun 8, 9:19 am, !Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    <snip>
    > Our bicycle techies should quit thinking about how to build them
    > faster where cost is not a criterion and start thinking about basic
    > utility. A high-tech, CF racing bicycle is useless if I have to carry
    > a laptop and a projector to a meeting and I really can't hobble in
    > looking like a candy cane in spandex. It's time to look over the next
    > horizon.
    >
    > Jones

    Me To!, (despite it being bad form)

    TBerk
    ..

  4. Eric Vey

    Eric Vey Guest

    !Jones wrote:
    > On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 07:22:19 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech
    > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> You might find some helpful ideas here:-
    >>
    >> http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=261
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Lewis.

    > Yes, I follow that one regularly.

    That's where you will get the best info. I realize that all the Xtra
    people hang out there, but if you ignore them, you will get other views.
    Sorry.

  5. !Jones

    !Jones Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 19:04:51 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech Eric Vey
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >!Jones wrote:
    >> On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 07:22:19 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech
    >> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> You might find some helpful ideas here:-
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=261
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps.
    >>>
    >>> Lewis.

    >> Yes, I follow that one regularly.

    >That's where you will get the best info. I realize that all the Xtra
    >people hang out there, but if you ignore them, you will get other views.
    >Sorry.

    "Sorry"? I honestly cannot imagine why. Methinks that it's
    appropriate to this forum also.

    Jones