Re: Loch Lomond & Ben Nevis

Adrian Tupper

Guest
Sophie <[email protected]> wrote in news:0tx4e.8756$S9.6925
@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net:

> Next week I will be at the southern tip of Loch Lomond and wondered if
> anyone could suggest some good hill-walks in the area. We are aiming

> do Ben Lomond & Ptarmigan one day, and would like to do another couple
> of walks. My idea of a good walk is similar in size to the Brecon
> Beacons - a decent amount of uphill, a nice ridge walk, no scrambling,
> and home in time for tea (or beer). I have the Landranger map of Loch
> Lomond but no other information on which bits are particularly pretty,
> boggy, or otherwise.
>
> We are also thinking of doing Ben Nevis while we're there. Does anyone
> know what the current state of snow is on the tourist route? Is the
> tourist route worth doing for the walk itself, or only in order to bag
> the peak?
>
> Thanks,
> Sophie

Sophie, further up the west shore of Loch Lomond are some fine hills
including Ben Vorlich. Around the corner at Arrochar is The Cobbler and
Beinn Narnain / Beinn Ime. Not exactly ridge walks but enough high
level wandering to enjoy.

For Ben Nevis, the tourist path is precisely that. It will be busy and
not especially interesting. But it is fairly easy going. The
alternative is to approach the summit from the Carn Mor Dearg (CMD)
arrete but this is a tougher walk and much more enjoyable.

--
Adrian