Re: Low Carb (Paleo) Half Marathon Report

Barf Bag

Guest
>Agriculture, for many native peoples, who were conceivably our
>descendants, started even later than 10,000 years ago.

That's ORGANIZED agriculture. We ate plants much earlier.

Ignoramus29063 wrote in message ...
>In article <[email protected]>, Barf Bag wrote:
>>>Agriculture, for many native peoples, who were conceivably our
>>>descendants, started even later than 10,000 years ago.

>> That's ORGANIZED agriculture. We ate plants much earlier.

>Um, and this paleo diet completely allows eating all of those plants
>that can be obtained by foraging, most vegetables and fruits. Paleo
>diet is not a no-plant diet, by any means. Personally, I eat a few lbs
>of vegs per day (about 3 pounds or so), because I like vegetables.

There's a enough carbs in 3 pounds of vegetables to keep your glycogen
stores full.

- Tony

wrote:

>>>Um, and this paleo diet completely allows eating all of those plants
>>>that can be obtained by foraging, most vegetables and fruits. Paleo
>>>diet is not a no-plant diet, by any means. Personally, I eat a few lbs
>>>of vegs per day (about 3 pounds or so), because I like vegetables.

>> There's a enough carbs in 3 pounds of vegetables to keep your glycogen
>> stores full.

>My calculations show that I eat approximately 60 grams of carbs per
>day. Sometimes less, rarely more. Will it keep my glycogen stores full
>or not is a good question. Would be easy to answer if I ate, say, a
>normal quantity of calories, plus an extra bowl of pasta, and then
>noted any weight changes.

It's a good question if you think you're training and racing with your
glycogen stores empty.

- T

news:[email protected]...

wrote:

> >>Um, and this paleo diet completely allows eating all of those plants
> >>that can be obtained by foraging, most vegetables and fruits. Paleo
> >>diet is not a no-plant diet, by any means. Personally, I eat a few lbs
> >>of vegs per day (about 3 pounds or so), because I like vegetables.

> > There's a enough carbs in 3 pounds of vegetables to keep your glycogen
> > stores full.

> My calculations show that I eat approximately 60 grams of carbs per
> day. Sometimes less, rarely more. Will it keep my glycogen stores full
> or not is a good question. Would be easy to answer if I ate, say, a
> normal quantity of calories, plus an extra bowl of pasta, and then
> noted any weight changes.

A decently active person can store upwards of 500 g of glycogen in skeletal
muscle. 60 g per day will not do a lot to keep your glycogen stores full.
It does not even fill up the liver (which holds about 100g).

Sam wrote in message ...

>"Ignoramus29063" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...

>> > There's a enough carbs in 3 pounds of vegetables to keep your glycogen
>> > stores full.

>> My calculations show that I eat approximately 60 grams of carbs per
>> day. Sometimes less, rarely more. Will it keep my glycogen stores full
>> or not is a good question. Would be easy to answer if I ate, say, a
>> normal quantity of calories, plus an extra bowl of pasta, and then
>> noted any weight changes.

>A decently active person can store upwards of 500 g of glycogen in skeletal
>muscle. 60 g per day will not do a lot to keep your glycogen stores full.
>It does not even fill up the liver (which holds about 100g).

Yes 60g might not keep them full, but 3 pounds of most vegetables contains
far more than 60gm carbs, even subtracting the fiber out. Some nuts also
contain fairly high percentages of carbs. I believe Ig also said he eats
fruit sometimes. I doubt he's eating only 60gm/day.

- Tony