Re: Low Carb (Paleo) Half Marathon Report

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Barf Bag, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >Agriculture, for many native peoples, who were conceivably our
    >descendants, started even later than 10,000 years ago.

    That's ORGANIZED agriculture. We ate plants much earlier.

    Tags:

  2. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Ignoramus29063 wrote in message ...
    >In article <[email protected]>, Barf Bag wrote:
    >>>Agriculture, for many native peoples, who were conceivably our
    >>>descendants, started even later than 10,000 years ago.

    >> That's ORGANIZED agriculture. We ate plants much earlier.

    >Um, and this paleo diet completely allows eating all of those plants
    >that can be obtained by foraging, most vegetables and fruits. Paleo
    >diet is not a no-plant diet, by any means. Personally, I eat a few lbs
    >of vegs per day (about 3 pounds or so), because I like vegetables.

    There's a enough carbs in 3 pounds of vegetables to keep your glycogen
    stores full.

    - Tony

  3. Tony

    wrote:

    >>>Um, and this paleo diet completely allows eating all of those plants
    >>>that can be obtained by foraging, most vegetables and fruits. Paleo
    >>>diet is not a no-plant diet, by any means. Personally, I eat a few lbs
    >>>of vegs per day (about 3 pounds or so), because I like vegetables.

    >> There's a enough carbs in 3 pounds of vegetables to keep your glycogen
    >> stores full.

    >My calculations show that I eat approximately 60 grams of carbs per
    >day. Sometimes less, rarely more. Will it keep my glycogen stores full
    >or not is a good question. Would be easy to answer if I ate, say, a
    >normal quantity of calories, plus an extra bowl of pasta, and then
    >noted any weight changes.

    It's a good question if you think you're training and racing with your
    glycogen stores empty.

    - T

  4. Sam

    Sam Guest

    news:[email protected]

    wrote:

    > >>Um, and this paleo diet completely allows eating all of those plants
    > >>that can be obtained by foraging, most vegetables and fruits. Paleo
    > >>diet is not a no-plant diet, by any means. Personally, I eat a few lbs
    > >>of vegs per day (about 3 pounds or so), because I like vegetables.

    > > There's a enough carbs in 3 pounds of vegetables to keep your glycogen
    > > stores full.

    > My calculations show that I eat approximately 60 grams of carbs per
    > day. Sometimes less, rarely more. Will it keep my glycogen stores full
    > or not is a good question. Would be easy to answer if I ate, say, a
    > normal quantity of calories, plus an extra bowl of pasta, and then
    > noted any weight changes.

    A decently active person can store upwards of 500 g of glycogen in skeletal
    muscle. 60 g per day will not do a lot to keep your glycogen stores full.
    It does not even fill up the liver (which holds about 100g).

  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Sam wrote in message ...

    >"Ignoramus29063" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]

    >> > There's a enough carbs in 3 pounds of vegetables to keep your glycogen
    >> > stores full.

    >> My calculations show that I eat approximately 60 grams of carbs per
    >> day. Sometimes less, rarely more. Will it keep my glycogen stores full
    >> or not is a good question. Would be easy to answer if I ate, say, a
    >> normal quantity of calories, plus an extra bowl of pasta, and then
    >> noted any weight changes.

    >A decently active person can store upwards of 500 g of glycogen in skeletal
    >muscle. 60 g per day will not do a lot to keep your glycogen stores full.
    >It does not even fill up the liver (which holds about 100g).

    Yes 60g might not keep them full, but 3 pounds of most vegetables contains
    far more than 60gm carbs, even subtracting the fiber out. Some nuts also
    contain fairly high percentages of carbs. I believe Ig also said he eats
    fruit sometimes. I doubt he's eating only 60gm/day.

    - Tony