Re: low heart rate

Jaja

Guest
I trained for the London Marathon this year (ran a PB!) and since then
have had loads of trouble getting motivated. I had hoped to switch to
triathlon training but just cannot get going. What I have been doing
over the last six weeks is about 5.75 hrs per week cardio (say 2 hrs
slow cycling to and from work per week; 2-2.5 hrs per week hard
running; 1-1.5 hrs other mainly walking briskly) plus 1.5 hrs of
weighttraining per week. I had a holiday recently too (not included
in figures where we hiked and backpacked in the Basque Pyrenees -
lovely but hot and hard work). Also about 30 mins per day
stretching/pilates etc. It's not as much as I have done last year
when I trained for an Olympic distance tri.

What I seem to remember reading somewhere is that 'over training' is a
bit of a misnomer as it can be brought on by other factors such as
stress. If so, I feel this could be the reason as I've had rather a
'bumpy' time lately:

2.5 years ago - Dad diagnosed with cancer AND I lost my job in
banking,

2 years ago - retrained and begun work as Personal Trainer/Sports
Massage Therapist AND Mum crippled by a bungled back operation

1 year ago - Dad died AND Mum had a heart attack five days later
(survives, but it still obviously in need of lots of support). I
break my PB for Olympic Tri a week later and again a month later!!
Sacked from my job as gym instructor for "Not being cheerful
enough..."

This year - PBs for Marathon and Half Marathon.

I'm extremely lucky that I have a very supportive
husband/sister/brother-in-law (and an absolutely useless brother and
sister-in-law.) and Mum has a good support group helping her.

So could this lack of motivation/overtraining syndrome thingy be
connected with all that stress????

Thanks for all the feedback you have all provided so far. I'm taking
the rest of this week off as you suggest and seeing how I go at a
sprint tri on Sunday.