General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Marathon and LC -- found an interesting post

Started by curt · · Last activity · 5 posts · 255 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
17 September 2004
Last activity
17 September 2004
Original author
curt
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
255
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just to elaborate on how I feel on this subject. Keeping in mind that I am
    talking about my own experience. I feel many people can run a marathon on
    LC and some people can run a marathon on no food at all. It depends on what
    kind of shape a person is in. I can ride my bike for 40-50 miles on an LC,
    but after that time I need food (carbs) and fast. Now there was a time
    earlier that I couldn't ride nearly that far on LC. I am convinced that if
    I was in better shape, I could ride for 60, 70 or more on LC, but right now
    I can't due to the shape I am in.

    So IMHO, you can run a marathon on LC, but you need to be in very good
    shape. I feel if you can run 26 miles on LC, you can run 36 on a carb rich
    diet. Just my findings for myself.

    Curt

    "Ignoramus474" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    From a guy who ran a marathon on LC...

    http://tinyurl.com/4f7fb

  2. curt said:

    Just to elaborate on how I feel on this subject. Keeping in mind that I
    am
    talking about my own experience. I feel many people can run a marathon
    on
    LC and some people can run a marathon on no food at all. It depends on
    what
    kind of shape a person is in. I can ride my bike for 40-50 miles on an
    LC,
    but after that time I need food (carbs) and fast. Now there was a time
    earlier that I couldn't ride nearly that far on LC. I am convinced that
    if
    I was in better shape, I could ride for 60, 70 or more on LC, but right
    now
    I can't due to the shape I am in.

    So IMHO, you can run a marathon on LC, but you need to be in very good
    shape. I feel if you can run 26 miles on LC, you can run 36 on a carb
    rich
    diet. Just my findings for myself.

    Curt

    I also think it depends on what your output is. If you're time trialing
    up a mountain, you'll have higher carb requirements than if you're biking
    on flat ground with no wind.

    --
    Bob in CT
    Remove ".x" to reply

  3. Bob in CT wrote:
    :: On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:54:35 GMT, curt <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: Just to elaborate on how I feel on this subject. Keeping in mind
    ::: that I am
    ::: talking about my own experience. I feel many people can run a
    ::: marathon on
    ::: LC and some people can run a marathon on no food at all. It
    ::: depends on what
    ::: kind of shape a person is in. I can ride my bike for 40-50 miles
    ::: on an LC,
    ::: but after that time I need food (carbs) and fast. Now there was a
    ::: time earlier that I couldn't ride nearly that far on LC. I am
    ::: convinced that if
    ::: I was in better shape, I could ride for 60, 70 or more on LC, but
    ::: right now
    ::: I can't due to the shape I am in.
    :::
    ::: So IMHO, you can run a marathon on LC, but you need to be in very
    ::: good shape. I feel if you can run 26 miles on LC, you can run 36
    ::: on a carb rich
    ::: diet. Just my findings for myself.
    :::
    ::: Curt
    :::
    ::
    :: I also think it depends on what your output is. If you're time
    :: trialing up a mountain, you'll have higher carb requirements than if
    :: you're biking on flat ground with no wind.

    When I haul my butt up a hill on a bike, I expend more wattage than a
    lighter person would who is going the same speed. Conditioning factors into
    ones ability to output watts. My guess is that you can train your body to
    convert fat to usage energy more readily up to a certain point, but sooner
    or later carbs will be needed (once you go anaerobic).

  4. Roger Zoul wrote in message <[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Bob in CT wrote:
    :: On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:54:35 GMT, curt <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: Just to elaborate on how I feel on this subject. Keeping in mind
    ::: that I am
    ::: talking about my own experience. I feel many people can run a
    ::: marathon on
    ::: LC and some people can run a marathon on no food at all. It
    ::: depends on what
    ::: kind of shape a person is in. I can ride my bike for 40-50 miles
    ::: on an LC,
    ::: but after that time I need food (carbs) and fast. Now there was a
    ::: time earlier that I couldn't ride nearly that far on LC. I am
    ::: convinced that if
    ::: I was in better shape, I could ride for 60, 70 or more on LC, but
    ::: right now
    ::: I can't due to the shape I am in.
    :::
    ::: So IMHO, you can run a marathon on LC, but you need to be in very
    ::: good shape. I feel if you can run 26 miles on LC, you can run 36
    ::: on a carb rich
    ::: diet. Just my findings for myself.
    :::
    ::: Curt
    :::
    ::
    :: I also think it depends on what your output is. If you're time
    :: trialing up a mountain, you'll have higher carb requirements than if
    :: you're biking on flat ground with no wind.

    When I haul my butt up a hill on a bike, I expend more wattage than a
    lighter person would who is going the same speed. Conditioning factors


    into

    Quoted message said:

    ones ability to output watts. My guess is that you can train your body to
    convert fat to usage energy more readily up to a certain point, but sooner
    or later carbs will be needed (once you go anaerobic).

    Glycogen is burned even before you go anaerobic. Because burning glycogen
    requires 10% less oxygen for the same energy output, as your pace increases
    the body will start to burn it, far before you go anaerobic. For example,
    in the 50km race I did last week, my effort level was very high, but
    probably anaerobic for only a few minutes out of over 5.5 hours. I burned
    alot of fat and alot of glycogen, and I ate 800+ cal of mostly glucose, with
    some protein during the race. Still, a majority of my energy came from fat.

    - Tony

  5. Tony wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote in message <[email hidden]>...
    ::: Bob in CT wrote:
    ::::: On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:54:35 GMT, curt <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :::::
    :::::: Just to elaborate on how I feel on this subject. Keeping in mind
    :::::: that I am
    :::::: talking about my own experience. I feel many people can run a
    :::::: marathon on
    :::::: LC and some people can run a marathon on no food at all. It
    :::::: depends on what
    :::::: kind of shape a person is in. I can ride my bike for 40-50 miles
    :::::: on an LC,
    :::::: but after that time I need food (carbs) and fast. Now there was
    :::::: a time earlier that I couldn't ride nearly that far on LC. I am
    :::::: convinced that if
    :::::: I was in better shape, I could ride for 60, 70 or more on LC, but
    :::::: right now
    :::::: I can't due to the shape I am in.
    ::::::
    :::::: So IMHO, you can run a marathon on LC, but you need to be in very
    :::::: good shape. I feel if you can run 26 miles on LC, you can run 36
    :::::: on a carb rich
    :::::: diet. Just my findings for myself.
    ::::::
    :::::: Curt
    ::::::
    :::::
    ::::: I also think it depends on what your output is. If you're time
    ::::: trialing up a mountain, you'll have higher carb requirements than
    ::::: if you're biking on flat ground with no wind.
    :::
    ::: When I haul my butt up a hill on a bike, I expend more wattage than
    ::: a lighter person would who is going the same speed. Conditioning
    ::: factors into ones ability to output watts. My guess is that you
    ::: can train your body to convert fat to usage energy more readily up
    ::: to a certain point, but sooner or later carbs will be needed (once
    ::: you go anaerobic).
    :::
    ::
    :: Glycogen is burned even before you go anaerobic. Because burning
    :: glycogen requires 10% less oxygen for the same energy output, as
    :: your pace increases the body will start to burn it, far before you
    :: go anaerobic. For example, in the 50km race I did last week, my
    :: effort level was very high, but probably anaerobic for only a few
    :: minutes out of over 5.5 hours. I burned alot of fat and alot of
    :: glycogen, and I ate 800+ cal of mostly glucose, with some protein
    :: during the race. Still, a majority of my energy came from fat.

    You're correct.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.