General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Mayor's Midnight Marathon - Anchorage

Started by Dot · · Last activity · 2 posts · 440 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 June 2005
Last activity
8 June 2005
Original author
Dot
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
440
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dan Harris said:

    Newbie here!

    I'm flying to Anchorage to run in the half on June 18. I'll be
    staying for several days after the race. I'm looking for any
    interesting hiking or outdoor activities.

    I did the tourist train / cruise trip to Alaska a few years ago with
    the family and had a great time. Now I'll be by myself and looking to
    get off the beaten track.

    Any ideas!

    Hmmm, define "beaten track" and how far "off" would you like to get?

    Realistically, in Alaska in a few days, you won't get too far off the
    beaten track. For instance, you could get a tour to Prudhoe, Barrow,
    Nome, or Kotzebue, but you'll be on their beaten track. Or you could go
    on trails from Anchorage and get in some of the Chugach backcountry and
    off trails and maybe not see anyone all day, but within 15 min as the
    crow flies from Anchorage.

    Were you looking for something in Anchorage area? Will you be driving or
    dependent on rental, taxi, bus, ...? Doing your own logistics or
    dependent on a guide? Backpacking, day hiking? Rafting? Sea kayaking?

    Anchorage is adjacent to some fine hiking trails and there's more both
    north (Mat-Su Valley) and south (Kenai Peninsula) from there. However,
    the kings and maybe reds will be running on the Kenai - and that isn't
    off any body's beaten track (read "combat fishing", which you're
    probably familiar with if you've been here before). Have you been to
    Hatcher Pass - lots of hiking, historical gold mine, etc? Visited Knik
    or Matanuska Glaciers? Exit Glacier? Recreational gold panning?

    Need more hints as to what you've done, what you want to do.

    If you were going to be here over July 4, going to Seward and watching
    the Mt. Marathon race has to be a priority for any runner (except those
    of us that live here and don't like crowds). But it's a madhouse - town
    of about 2,000 swells to about 10,000 (or at least I think those are the
    numbers I've heard). 1000 total runners race that in 4 races (men,
    women, seniors, juniors) (300 in each of sr races, 200 in jr).

    Dot

    --
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

  2. Dan Harris said:


    Sorry it took so long to respond. Had a total system crash!

    I'll be staying in Anchorage until the 19th, and returning home
    Thursday 6/23 so I have several days to goof off. I was thinking of
    taking the train to Denali for a few days.

    That would be a good option since there's a lot of things based there.
    There may even be guided hikes by NPS or private tour company. I know
    there's tons (seems that way) of wildlife tours that start early.
    Another option might be something based out of Talkeetna - south side. I
    haven't been to Talkeetna in about 20 yr, but it probably still has far
    more Alaskan charm than glitter gulch at entrance to Denali.
    Flightseeing tours are usually based out of Talkeetna.

    Quoted message said:


    Ideally, I would like a guided trip to a wilderness area. I can take
    a plane or rent a car if necessary. I could also do a few day trips.
    I will be traveling alone.

    I'm not that familiar with guides, but a couple thoughts for
    consideration. I'm also assuming that after running a marathon, you're
    probably not going to be up for an intense backpack trip into trailless
    wilderness, nor want to bother with bringing a lot of gear.

    I've never gone with these folks but they have a first rate reputation.
    Our natural resource students go out on one of their early season tours.
    Kenai Fjords is gorgeous. I've spent a lot of time at Exit Glacier for
    research and a little at some of the glaciers farther south in KFNP.
    http://www.kenaifjords.com/

    That seems to be an option within this tour company, which might have
    something of interest to you.
    http://www.alaskaheritagetours.com/644.cfm

    These folks out of Valdez are good for Columbia Glacier and Prince
    William Sound. I've been out with them a couple times (15-20 yr ago).
    Columbia Glacier is significant as one of the last ("the" last?)
    tidewater glaciers to undergo catastrophic retreat (no, not global
    warming). Their lunch served on Growler Island is super. Doesn't look
    like they have tour options that include hiking, though.
    http://www.stanstephenscruises.com/

    Mahay's river boat service in Talkeetna may have something of interest.
    We've used these folks 20+ yr ago also.
    http://tinyurl.com/cgq2c

    This Katmai trip intrigues me (volcanic landscape), is more land based
    than others. Not sure if they have shorter versions. Looks like you
    could fly over, then have your own itinerary, but maybe not.
    http://www.lifetimeadventures.net/Katmai.htm

    I've never been with this group, but am considering a day trip sometime
    as a reasonable way of dealing with logistics. As you can tell from
    their staff page, these folks are very experienced. It might be more
    than you want after the marathon, but there is a hiking option also.
    http://www.runningalaska.com/southcentral_runs.htm?53,27

    These folks are another name I trust, but they're more rafting.
    http://www.alaska.net/~nova/home.htm

    Another place that might be out of the way, but still have some local
    guides is the Kennecott and McCarthy area in Wrangell-St. Elias NP. I've
    never been there, but hope to some day - maybe next year. There's a half
    marathon there Labor Day.

    I've only listed the ones I'm a little familiar with and within a day's
    drive of Anchorage. With just a few days, it doesn't make sense to fly
    up north or out west. Those of us that live here don't usually use
    guides on land, but may use water-based tours or companies for logistics
    to get to field locations, hence the little bit of experience I do have
    is with water- or air-based companies, but 15-20 yr ago when I was doing
    that type work.

    The Alaska Heritage tours looks like it's large enough that they have a
    trip going out every day, which may make it easy to schedule with.
    Denali also would have lots of tours, but may be part of larger tour
    packages.

    Quoted message said:


    Coming from Florida, I'm always blown away with the natural beauty of
    Alaska.

    We're partial to it 🙂

    Dot

    --
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
    away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.