RE: Mirage 9 Speed

I was thinking of getting an older Mirage 9 Speed gruppo. It has
aluminum shifter handles and dual pivot brakes. The setup looks ok,
but I wondering about the shifting. I had a Centaur gruppo and it
worked very well. I sold the bike with the Centaur gruppo and bought
another bike with Shimano 105. After riding it one season, I found
myself missing the Centaur shifting. Especially being able to shift up
or down more than one gear with one shift.

Does anyone know if the Mirage is capable of changing multiple gears
with one shift?

Can anyone recommend a good web site about the differences between
Campy gruppos?

[email protected] writes:

> Does anyone know if the Mirage is capable of changing multiple gears
> with one shift?

9-speed (2006 and earlier), yes. 10-speed (2007/8), no. Towards
smaller sprockets, that is, in the other direction both can shift
across multiple gears.

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:47:00 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] wrote:

>I was thinking of getting an older Mirage 9 Speed gruppo. It has
>aluminum shifter handles and dual pivot brakes. The setup looks ok,
>but I wondering about the shifting. I had a Centaur gruppo and it
>worked very well. I sold the bike with the Centaur gruppo and bought
>another bike with Shimano 105. After riding it one season, I found
>myself missing the Centaur shifting. Especially being able to shift up
>or down more than one gear with one shift.

I know this is an older post, but I've been away a bit. I've been using 2006
Mirage on my 'cross bike and it does shift well. It doesn't have the "niceness"
of feel of the higher range Campy stuff, sorta like comparing a Glock to an all
steel HK, but works perfectly (sorta like the Glock). All the 2006 and earlier
Campy will do the multiple shift which is very much appreciated for cross and
trail riding. The front shifter ratchets for any gear spacing so you won't have
front der / chainwheel compatibility issues.

Ron

On Mar 20, 5:26 pm, Hobbes@spnb&s.com wrote:
> All the 2006 and earlier
> Campy will do the multiple shift which is very much appreciated for cross and
> trail riding. The front shifter ratchets for any gear spacing so you won'thave
> front der / chainwheel compatibility issues.

All except Xenon, which had the Escape Mechanism before they called it
that.

And the Flat-bar shifters, which had QS before they called it that.