Hopping onto things is a Trials skill. BMX is primarily rolling, around
a relatively small track.
For jumping/hopping onto things, the only other word I hear is "up." But
it might be better just to keep things specified, so people don't need
to check a glossary to know what the skill levels are saying. There is
jump to a certain height, jump over a bar, and jump onto something, all
of which require different levels of skill.
The difference between hop and jump is not clear either. To me a hop is
something small and a jump is big, but there is no hard definition in
any "official" unicycling lexicon. We have our High Jump competition
event, which is obviously jumping as high as you can (big jump). In that
one you have to clear a bar, in case anyone was wondering.
I hear "sidehop" used all the time, but not "sidejump." So if you're
trying to clear some distance, it's either a sidehop or a long jump (as
in the Long Jump competition). A long jump is generally done going
forward, while a sidehop is obviously done to the side.
--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge
John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com
"Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
whole van!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/31205