Re: MOEPED3 is ready to hit the road

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by DGoncz 22044-0394, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Hey. Nice weather. Cold and clear.

    The system really pumped some power today.

    I admit I was scared. Putting around 100 watts into a chain drive I built
    myself and a motor mount made out of plastic pipe at speeds sufficient to
    generate that much power, after the chain drop problems I have had, was a
    concern. As it turned out, the bevled pinion teeth did their job for around
    three miles.

    I navigated Greenwood Drive in ZIP code 22044 to the sidewalk on Patrick
    Henry Drive and headed out along the Long Branch on the grass next to Brook
    Drive where the road is interrupted. This isn't shown on any map I have
    seen. On Brook Drive, I made a left on Olin Drive, then another right onto
    Brook Drive down hill, and took my feet off the pedals. The motor worked!

    There's a little rise there so I pedaled up and over, then it gets steeper,
    so I tried it again, and noticed that 120 VAC 1 A does put some drag on the
    bike.

    I crested the hill at Lebanon Drive, ran the motor again around the curve on
    Brook Drive, and headed back.

    The motor seems to have changed positions somehow. I can't shift into high
    front gear. We'll see what that is about later.

    I am considering mounting my fog light.... I still haven't tried
    self-excitation mode. I need to brace the kickstand.

    --Doug

    Tags:

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    DGoncz 22044-0394 wrote:

    > I am considering mounting my fog light.... I still haven't tried
    > self-excitation mode....

    That is rumored to harm your vision! ;)

    --
    Tom Sherman - Rock Island County Illinois
    Tetrahedral carbon lattices are not forever.