Re: More U.S. Children Vaccinated Than Ever

"abacus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "fred & michele" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...

> > I see both sides to the question of regulating substances like tobacco,
> > alcohol, cocaine, even heroin. While the consequences of illness &
> > addiction physically belong to the user, society as a whole *is*

burdened
> > by the financial cost of treatments for these consequences & lost
> > productivity. It is a balance of freedom & cost to the public that

probably
> > satisfies few.

> I find the economic arguments for allowing individuals freedom of
> choice to be very convincing. While it's not obvious at first glance,
> the mathematics indicate that optimum good for society can only be
> achieved by allowing individuals the ability to make those decisions
> for themselves. Have you studied that aspect of it at all?

Yes, working for years with people who made decisions that society pays for
dearly (substance abusers/addicts) is a real eye opener. Examining the
monies budgeted for just some of the consequences of bad choices like we've
mentioned is staggering. The amazing costs -- which are not only about
treatment, but the $$ used to pick up the pieces of the lives they effect
(like feeding, housing, clothing their children) & the non-monetary costs
like the family strife such behavior commonly includes as part of the
package -- are very real. Unless we as a society simply decide that people
who make stupid decisions (as well as the families they're supposed to be
responsible to) are also "free" to bear the burdens those decisions entail,
there is a real reason for reasonable limits.

> > I used to believe that seat belt laws should be abolished until

presented
> > with facts like drivers secured in a vehicle increased the probablity

that
> > they could maintain *some* control of the auto in the event of an
> > accident --an ejected or unconscious driver certainly can't do much to
> > mitigate the circumstances or outcome of an MVA. The lives of other
> > motorists or pedestrians could well depend on a driver being in their

car
> > making the effort to swerve, brake, or otherwise avoid a worse situation
> > than already presented with. Delaware was very slow in mandating seat

belt
> > laws. I was even slower in complying (<G>), until I fully understood a
> > decision I felt only effected me could actually cost someone else their
> > life.

> This is an argument I haven't heard before; I will ponder it.
> However, it would only apply to the driver, not any passengers.

Passengers flying about the vehicle during an MVA present a very real
hazard. Not to mention any person being thrown from a vehicle into the path
of another motorist, involving that vehicle & those in it in the accident as
well. Any paramedic/EMT can tell you the incredible impact a body being
hurled at high speed can cause.

>> Do the people footing the bills have a
> > say, or only those who run them up?

> The problem here is that individuals who choose to accept risks
> voluntarily are not given the option of doing so with the penalty of
> having to pay the price on their own. I'm not sure how to deal with
> this particular problem, but I'd like to hear others' ideas.

We can refuse to provide foster care to the kids of those who make crummy
decisions. We can allow people to die in the streets of the illnesses
caused by bad choices & injuries sustained as a result of stupidity coupled
with unfettered freedom. We can create lists of people who insist upon
doing whatever they want & refuse to be of any assistance to them when their
choices bite them & their loved ones in the ass. But few of us could turn
our backs on a hungry kid abandoned by their parents or tell somebody's
husband "Sorry, your wife was stupid & didn't buckle up -- so now that she's
paralyzed, you'll need to figure out how to take care of her & pay the bills
for it. Don't ask for any help from the insurance co.or the gov't, 'cause
it's YOUR problem."

> > Once again the question arises over whether the people whose money pays

for
> > the consequences of the individual's choice is entitled to any input.

Or
> > are they expected to simply pull out their wallets & pony up the $$$$?

> The main concern that I have with this particular argument is that it
> applies quite well to lots of other behaviors - like smoking tobacco,
> eating too much, not exercising, etc. Do you really want to open the
> door to having society exert legal control over those behaviors
> because they are *footing the bills* for health problems caused by
> obesity and smoking? Can you think of a logical way to differentiate
> between what behaviors it's reasonable to control by such laws and
> what behaviors it is not?

It's quite obvious that smoking regulations are an attempt to control the
behavior & its outcome. It certainly doesn't cost $31.00 + for a carton of
Marlboros. Taxes, money mandated to be used for anti-smoking education by
recent court cases against the tobacco companies are just two compromises
between an outright ban on tobacco use & promoting it as an acceptable
behavior. In the case of obesity, regulating eating is much trickier. Any
food, even healthy stuff, can be misused & lead to being overweight -- & one
cannot decide to not eat at all, so we need to encourage moderation & common
sense as the only realistic way to go. It seems you assume regulation must
be in the form of restriction or punishment, but WRT eating & exercise, the
idea of *reward* makes far more sense. Tax credits for maintaining a
healthy weight/body fat percentage (verified just as many other deductions
require verification) -- deductions for the costs of health club
memberships (accompanied by documentation of attendance) -- proof of regular
check ups to spot any problems early on. There would be no "punishment" for
being fat, just as there is no "punishment" for throwing away one's receipts
that could be utilized as deductions. Those who go the extra mile to stay
healthy would be rewarded just as those willing to go to the trouble of
itemizing, saving receipts, & looking for ways to save on their taxes are.
Nobody's "punished" for renting their home, but there sure are rewards for
home ownership -- the pursuit of good health could be rewarded in the same
ways.

Here in DE, one can't smoke in any public buildings (including in what many
wouldn't believe possible to make smoke-free = BARS & NIGHTCLUBS!). Lots of
people *****ed & moaned about their rights, many businesses claimed they'd
go under, & it was predicted the end of the world was near! Hardly. The
bars in our area have full parking lots like before. People still want to
go out dancing & socializing. One nearby country western tavern came up
with a clever solution to satisfy customers who simply "couldn't" go without
lighting up -- they actually purchased an old DelDOT bus, parked it outside
the bar, stocked it with plenty of ashtrays & put a banner on it that read
"smokin' bus". Anybody can go on that bus (weather's no problem) & smoke
up -- then go back into the smoke free bar. It's a compromise that
satisfies everyone, as well as the law.

> If you look at the Netherlands as an example of a society where use is
> not necessarily considered abuse and abuse is treated as a health
> problem, not criminal behavior, legalization seems a better approach
> with fewer ancillary problems than ours.

Use ISN'T abuse. Many people smoke pot regularly all their lives while
holding responsible jobs, paying their bills, & raising children without any
problems. They obviously are able to regulate themselves as to where & when
to use. Ditto for many moderate alcohol users. Heroin & cocaine are
different in the scheme of abuse & addiction -- with very high rates of
addiction & other health problems & little benefit to their use, it makes
sense to discourage their use. And while the Netherlands handles the
*criminalization* of substance use differently than the U.S., I would be
very surprised if the abuse/addiction surrounding heroin & cocaine didn't
impact the taxpayers there WRT paying for treatment, money for the
associated health issues, & taking care of the responsibilities neglected by
abusers/addicts.

> I'm not sure that a compromise regarding rules that affect everyone is
> going to be possible between folks like JG and Jeff. I'm currently
> pondering the feasibility for people to choose what laws they wish to
> live under such as depicted in "Snow Crash" by Neil Stephenson (I
> think I spelled that right).
>
> The idea is that people choose the society they live in. That is,
> people who decide they want to be free to take certain risks can do
> so, but then their society is not obliged to pay for the consequences.

Our society frequently pays for the consequences of the freedom without a
care so many people practice. Most people would be hard pressed to stick
with the idea expressed above. And it doesn't address what should be done
WRT those who were directly effected by the stupid decisions of others. The
kids left parentless -- the mother faced with caring for a young adult son
or daughter left paralyzed because seatbelts were left unbuckled -- the
babies born to addicted mothers who aren't fit to have a dog let alone a
child in their care. These are consequences dumped on people who didn't
make dumb choices -- who pays for them? Let's face it, we have to.
Otherwise we are punishing people whose innocence doesn't merit it.

> Those who agree to live with more constraints get more security in
> terms of a safety net when adverse events occur.

> The only example I can think of in our society would be the laws for
> Covenant marriage that were proposed about 10(?) years ago. Covenant
> marriage was an optional type of marriage that was more binding than
> our current laws - i.e. the justifications to get a legal divorce were
> severely limited. I haven't heard anything about that in some time, so
> I don't know how that issue turned out.
>
> Anyway, interesting post ma'am. Thanks for the food for thought.

It's definitely a sticky web, isn't it? While repression of freedom is
something most reasonable people don't favor, giving folks unlimited freedom
WRT unwise decisions that society is often left paying the tab for isn't
exactly a great option either. It'll no doubt always require compromise, a
careful balancing of independent choice & the responsibility of the
individual -- & the burden on others for those choices.

Michele
I ENJOY being a cranky *****.

"abacus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I find the economic arguments for allowing individuals freedom of
> choice to be very convincing. While it's not obvious at first glance,
> the mathematics indicate that optimum good for society can only be
> achieved by allowing individuals the ability to make those decisions
> for themselves. Have you studied that aspect of it at all?

The mathenatical models only work if the individuals are making accurate
assessmentsa of what id good for them. If you get a good number of people
making bad decisions they go right out the window.

..

> The problem here is that individuals who choose to accept risks
> voluntarily are not given the option of doing so with the penalty of
> having to pay the price on their own. I'm not sure how to deal with
> this particular problem, but I'd like to hear others' ideas.

I have no problem with people assuming risks and then paying the price on
their own. When a parent is making the decision for the child it is the
child who pays the price.

> > Once again the question arises over whether the people whose money pays

for
> > the consequences of the individual's choice is entitled to any input.

Or
> > are they expected to simply pull out their wallets & pony up the $$$$?

> The main concern that I have with this particular argument is that it
> applies quite well to lots of other behaviors - like smoking tobacco,
> eating too much, not exercising, etc. Do you really want to open the
> door to having society exert legal control over those behaviors
> because they are *footing the bills* for health problems caused by
> obesity and smoking? Can you think of a logical way to differentiate
> between what behaviors it's reasonable to control by such laws and
> what behaviors it is not?

I agree with you and that is why I find the arguments about hospital bills
and EMS etc to be weak in reagrds to seatbelt laws and helmets. There are
just too many other closely releated examples that we cannot legislate and
no way to distinguish them. I think one useful distinction is when your
decision directly affects other people. Not wearing yuor own seatbelt may
not affect others directly but failure to restrain or force the use of
helmets in your kids will directly affect them. Similarly, the decision not
to vaccinate has direct effects on the others around them.

> I'm not sure that a compromise regarding rules that affect everyone is
> going to be possible between folks like JG and Jeff. I'm currently
> pondering the feasibility for people to choose what laws they wish to
> live under such as depicted in "Snow Crash" by Neil Stephenson (I
> think I spelled that right).

I once had a lawyer tell me that a good compromise leaves both sides a
little dissatisfied.

--
CBI

"abacus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You mistake an argument against having laws regarding certain
> behaviors, such as using seatbelts or drinking, as being the same as
> an argument for or against the activity itself (i.e. using seatbelts,
> drinking). They are not the same. I've been wearing a seatbelt since
> they were made available - I can remember the first car my father
> purchased that had them. Just because I used a seatbelt for decades
> before it was required by law, doesn't mean that I agree with the law.

No, I am just saying that in any issue you must weight both sides. Sometimes
the argument for one side is weak but that for the other is even weaker. In
that case that prudent thing to do is to follow the less weak argument. I
think this applies to helmet and seatbelt laws in adults (but not kids).

> BTW, if you accept your argument, then tobacco should be illegal and
> marijuana legal (at least by prescription). The latter has some
> beneficial effects whereas the former does not.

Yes, I would accept that.

--
CBI, MD

"CBI" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I agree with you and that is why I find the arguments about hospital bills
>and EMS etc to be weak in reagrds to seatbelt laws and helmets. There are
>just too many other closely releated examples that we cannot legislate and
>no way to distinguish them. I think one useful distinction is when your
>decision directly affects other people. Not wearing yuor own seatbelt may
>not affect others directly

Yes, it does. It makes my insurance rates go up because of the
injury claims of the helmet-less and unbelted. It makes my taxes
go up because their medical bills often end up bieng covere dby
public funds. If they want to have the "freedom" to endanger
themselves, they should also declare their freedom from being
supported by the rest of us.

And I stopped to give first aid to someone who was "thrown clear"
of an accident ... clear through the windshield of another
vehicle, causing that vehicle to crash and spewing blood and
brains all over the passengers.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

"CBI" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "abacus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I find the economic arguments for allowing individuals freedom of
> > choice to be very convincing. While it's not obvious at first glance,
> > the mathematics indicate that optimum good for society can only be
> > achieved by allowing individuals the ability to make those decisions
> > for themselves. Have you studied that aspect of it at all?

> The mathenatical models only work if the individuals are making accurate
> assessmentsa of what id good for them. If you get a good number of people
> making bad decisions they go right out the window.

Whereas, here we have a man who has read about that aspect, but didn't
understand it.

> > The problem here is that individuals who choose to accept risks
> > voluntarily are not given the option of doing so with the penalty of
> > having to pay the price on their own. I'm not sure how to deal with
> > this particular problem, but I'd like to hear others' ideas.

> I have no problem with people assuming risks and then paying the price on
> their own. When a parent is making the decision for the child it is the
> child who pays the price.

True. But there are risks involved with every choice. When the
government makes the decision, it is still the child who pays the
price. Who is more likely to make better decisions about an
individual child?

> [...]

> > > alcohol, cocaine, even heroin. While the consequences of illness &
> > > addiction physically belong to the user, society as a whole *is*

> burdened
> > > by the financial cost of treatments for these consequences & lost
> > > productivity. It is a balance of freedom & cost to the public that

> probably
> > > satisfies few.

> > I find the economic arguments for allowing individuals freedom of
> > choice to be very convincing. While it's not obvious at first glance,
> > the mathematics indicate that optimum good for society can only be
> > achieved by allowing individuals the ability to make those decisions
> > for themselves. Have you studied that aspect of it at all?

> Yes, working for years with people who made decisions that society pays for
> dearly (substance abusers/addicts) is a real eye opener.

I gather the answer is actually no. I'm was referring to studying the
mathematical models economists have constructed. Your experience,
while quite informative, is not the same thing at all.

> Examining the
> monies budgeted for just some of the consequences of bad choices like we've
> mentioned is staggering. The amazing costs -- which are not only about
> treatment, but the $$ used to pick up the pieces of the lives they effect
> (like feeding, housing, clothing their children) & the non-monetary costs
> like the family strife such behavior commonly includes as part of the
> package -- are very real. Unless we as a society simply decide that people
> who make stupid decisions (as well as the families they're supposed to be
> responsible to) are also "free" to bear the burdens those decisions entail,
> there is a real reason for reasonable limits.

Yes, the models I'm referring to can and do incorporate the costs you
are describing.

> > > I used to believe that seat belt laws should be abolished until

> presented
> > > with facts like drivers secured in a vehicle increased the probablity

> that
> > > they could maintain *some* control of the auto in the event of an
> > > accident --an ejected or unconscious driver certainly can't do much to
> > > mitigate the circumstances or outcome of an MVA. The lives of other
> > > motorists or pedestrians could well depend on a driver being in their

> car
> > > making the effort to swerve, brake, or otherwise avoid a worse situation
> > > than already presented with. Delaware was very slow in mandating seat

> belt
> > > laws. I was even slower in complying (<G>), until I fully understood a
> > > decision I felt only effected me could actually cost someone else their
> > > life.

> > This is an argument I haven't heard before; I will ponder it.
> > However, it would only apply to the driver, not any passengers.

> Passengers flying about the vehicle during an MVA present a very real
> hazard. Not to mention any person being thrown from a vehicle into the path
> of another motorist, involving that vehicle & those in it in the accident as
> well. Any paramedic/EMT can tell you the incredible impact a body being
> hurled at high speed can cause.

I'll continue to reflect on the argument. However, it seems to me to
be a bit of a stretch to use this argument as a justification for seat
belt laws. The usual justification is that it is to protect the
individual wearing the seat belt.

> >> Do the people footing the bills have a
> > > say, or only those who run them up?

> > The problem here is that individuals who choose to accept risks
> > voluntarily are not given the option of doing so with the penalty of
> > having to pay the price on their own. I'm not sure how to deal with
> > this particular problem, but I'd like to hear others' ideas.

> We can refuse to provide foster care to the kids of those who make crummy
> decisions. We can allow people to die in the streets of the illnesses
> caused by bad choices & injuries sustained as a result of stupidity coupled
> with unfettered freedom. We can create lists of people who insist upon
> doing whatever they want & refuse to be of any assistance to them when their
> choices bite them & their loved ones in the ass. But few of us could turn
> our backs on a hungry kid abandoned by their parents or tell somebody's
> husband "Sorry, your wife was stupid & didn't buckle up -- so now that she's
> paralyzed, you'll need to figure out how to take care of her & pay the bills
> for it. Don't ask for any help from the insurance co.or the gov't, 'cause
> it's YOUR problem."

Yes, that's another option for society to take. In fact, it is the
option usually advocated by strict libertarians. I am not a strict
libertarian. However, they have a valid point in that whenever
society decides to take up the slack for those that suffer as a result
of poor choices, the cost of those choices goes down for the
individual and more people will decide to abrogate their personal
responsibilities as a result. The economic models on this point are
quite illuminating.

> [...]

> ways.
>
> Here in DE, one can't smoke in any public buildings (including in what many
> wouldn't believe possible to make smoke-free = BARS & NIGHTCLUBS!). Lots of
> people *****ed & moaned about their rights, many businesses claimed they'd
> go under, & it was predicted the end of the world was near! Hardly. The
> bars in our area have full parking lots like before. People still want to
> go out dancing & socializing. One nearby country western tavern came up
> with a clever solution to satisfy customers who simply "couldn't" go without
> lighting up -- they actually purchased an old DelDOT bus, parked it outside
> the bar, stocked it with plenty of ashtrays & put a banner on it that read
> "smokin' bus". Anybody can go on that bus (weather's no problem) & smoke
> up -- then go back into the smoke free bar. It's a compromise that

Some interesting food for thought here. You are right, I have been
generally thinking of the regulation/punishment aspect rather than
rewarding good behavior. Thanks for the new ideas.

> > If you look at the Netherlands as an example of a society where use is
> > not necessarily considered abuse and abuse is treated as a health
> > problem, not criminal behavior, legalization seems a better approach
> > with fewer ancillary problems than ours.

> Use ISN'T abuse. Many people smoke pot regularly all their lives while
> holding responsible jobs, paying their bills, & raising children without any
> problems. They obviously are able to regulate themselves as to where & when
> to use. Ditto for many moderate alcohol users. Heroin & cocaine are
> different in the scheme of abuse & addiction -- with very high rates of
> addiction & other health problems & little benefit to their use, it makes
> sense to discourage their use. And while the Netherlands handles the
> *criminalization* of substance use differently than the U.S., I would be
> very surprised if the abuse/addiction surrounding heroin & cocaine didn't
> impact the taxpayers there WRT paying for treatment, money for the
> associated health issues, & taking care of the responsibilities neglected by
> abusers/addicts.

I'm certain it does, but I think overall the expense is considerably
less particularly since they don't have the prison/crime expenses that
we do that are a result of our drug laws.

> > I'm not sure that a compromise regarding rules that affect everyone is
> > going to be possible between folks like JG and Jeff. I'm currently
> > pondering the feasibility for people to choose what laws they wish to
> > live under such as depicted in "Snow Crash" by Neil Stephenson (I
> > think I spelled that right).
> >
> > The idea is that people choose the society they live in. That is,
> > people who decide they want to be free to take certain risks can do
> > so, but then their society is not obliged to pay for the consequences.

> Our society frequently pays for the consequences of the freedom without a
> care so many people practice. Most people would be hard pressed to stick
> with the idea expressed above. And it doesn't address what should be done
> WRT those who were directly effected by the stupid decisions of others. The
> kids left parentless -- the mother faced with caring for a young adult son
> or daughter left paralyzed because seatbelts were left unbuckled -- the
> babies born to addicted mothers who aren't fit to have a dog let alone a
> child in their care. These are consequences dumped on people who didn't
> make dumb choices -- who pays for them? Let's face it, we have to.
> Otherwise we are punishing people whose innocence doesn't merit it.

"We" aren't punishing them at all. As a society, we simply decide
what support "we" are willing to provide for those in need. The
person who's poor choice impacted their life is the one who was
*punishing* them if, indeed, punishment is the correct term. I don't
think it qualifies as *punishment* anymore than a parent who died of
cancer is a *punishment* on the child.

> > Those who agree to live with more constraints get more security in
> > terms of a safety net when adverse events occur.

> > The only example I can think of in our society would be the laws for
> > Covenant marriage that were proposed about 10(?) years ago. Covenant
> > marriage was an optional type of marriage that was more binding than
> > our current laws - i.e. the justifications to get a legal divorce were
> > severely limited. I haven't heard anything about that in some time, so
> > I don't know how that issue turned out.
> >
> > Anyway, interesting post ma'am. Thanks for the food for thought.

> It's definitely a sticky web, isn't it? While repression of freedom is
> something most reasonable people don't favor, giving folks unlimited freedom
> WRT unwise decisions that society is often left paying the tab for isn't
> exactly a great option either. It'll no doubt always require compromise, a
> careful balancing of independent choice & the responsibility of the
> individual -- & the burden on others for those choices.

Indeed, it is a sticky web. But I have given up on the politicans
doing anything other than getting our society emeshed in it to the
point of no return. If anyone will be working out reasonable
compromises, I think it will be folks like you and I.

Regards.

"abacus" <[email protected]> wrote
> Whereas, here we have a man who has read about that aspect, but didn't
> understand it.

No surprise -- CBI is an innumerate.

> > When a parent is making the decision for the child it is the
> > child who pays the price.

> True. But there are risks involved with every choice. When the
> government makes the decision, it is still the child who pays the
> price. Who is more likely to make better decisions about an
> individual child?

The parents. Physicians sometimes have trouble with the concept
because they are trained in a very authoritarian manner.

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "abacus" <[email protected]> wrote
> > Whereas, here we have a man who has read about that aspect, but didn't
> > understand it.

> No surprise -- CBI is an innumerate.

Really? What has CBI ever said about math that is incorrect? And who was it
who said that the rotavirus vaccine caused a statistically significant
increase in the rate of intussecption, but was unable to tell us the name of
the statistical test?

> > > When a parent is making the decision for the child it is the
> > > child who pays the price.

> > True. But there are risks involved with every choice. When the
> > government makes the decision, it is still the child who pays the
> > price. Who is more likely to make better decisions about an
> > individual child?

> The parents. Physicians sometimes have trouble with the concept
> because they are trained in a very authoritarian manner.

Really. Can you show us data that show that parents make better decisions
about vaccinations than doctors?

"Tsu Dho Nimh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> [email protected] (abacus) wrote:
>

> >> The mathenatical models only work if the individuals are making

accurate
> >> assessmentsa of what id good for them. If you get a good number of

people
> >> making bad decisions they go right out the window.

> Thyre is absolutely no way anyone has time or knowledge to
> research all the options and pick the best one.

Correct. A group of experts in a particular field, most of whom are
physicians who have a well-rounded knwoledge of physiology and pathology and
most of whom are experts in the field of vaccines or immunology or
infectious disease would be able to make better decisions than lay people.

Just like I would expect a laywer to be able to make better legal decisions
than I would.

Jeff

In <[email protected]>, abacus wrote:

> True. But there are risks involved with every choice. When the
> government makes the decision, it is still the child who pays the
> price. Who is more likely to make better decisions about an
> individual child?

Those with the best information. In areas where individual
variations are significant *AND* those variations are apparent
to people close to them, that would be parents (a good example
is educational direction.)

Immunology doesn't fit either criterion.

--
| Microsoft: "A reputation for releasing inferior software will make |
| it more difficult for a software vendor to induce customers to pay |

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (abacus) wrote:

> > > I find the economic arguments for allowing individuals freedom of
> > > choice to be very convincing. While it's not obvious at first
> > > glance,
> > > the mathematics indicate that optimum good for society can only be
> > > achieved by allowing individuals the ability to make those decisions
> > > for themselves. Have you studied that aspect of it at all?

The math says exactly the opposite.

"A bad nomenclature (Pareto-optimum) in the literature, together
with much carelessness in textbooks, often misleads people into
thinking that there is some theorem which claims that a
competitive equilibrium is socially optimal. There is no such
claim...

...For instance, there are many accounts to be found that a
free-trade equilibrium is Pareto-efficient for the world as a
whole. Very rarely do these textbooks spell out completely
and precisely what is required to reach this result, in
particular, absence of increasing returns and a complete set
of Arrow-Debreu markets. If these assumptions were stated and
discussed, they might be less inclined to declare free trade
'optimal'".
-- Frank Hahn, "General Equilibrium Theory", in "The Crisis
in Economic Theory". Basic Books, 1981.

"Hahn, in The Notion of Equilibrium in Economics (1973), argues
that Arrow-Debreu equilibria have a negative usefulness, because
they help us understand what the world would have to look like
in order for certain contentions to be acceptable, e.g. that
real economies are Pareto-efficient: he argues that Arrow-Debreu
theory shows that in order to obtain Paretian efficiency there
ought to exist complete contingent intertemporal markets, and
thus - since these markets do not exist - the claim that real
economies are Pareto-efficient is falsified. This argument is
far from fully convincing; but even conceding to Arrow-Debreu
theory some ngative usefulness of this kind, the really
important question remains totally unanswered: how do real
economies work?"
-- Fabio Petri, "Professor Hahn on the 'Neo-Ricardian'
Criticism of Neoclassical Economics", in "Value,
Distribution and Capital: Essays in Honour of
Pierangelo Garegnani". Routledge, 1999.

Vaccinations have an important dimension of non-excludability
and externalities. So, if one wanted to be guided by "the
mathematics", one who understood "the mathematics" woould
not have written in this context what "abacus" writes above
(assuming I have the context right).

--
Try http://csf.colorado.edu/pkt/pktauthors/Vienneau.Robert/Bukharin.html
To solve Linear Programs: .../LPSolver.html

"Jeff Utz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Tsu Dho Nimh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...

> accurate

> people

> > Thyre is absolutely no way anyone has time or knowledge to
> > research all the options and pick the best one.

> Correct. A group of experts in a particular field, most of whom are
> physicians who have a well-rounded knwoledge of physiology and pathology and
> most of whom are experts in the field of vaccines or immunology or
> infectious disease would be able to make better decisions than lay people.
>
> Just like I would expect a laywer to be able to make better legal decisions
> than I would.
>
> Jeff

If your lawyer was also reaping significant rewards from doing
business with the party that was opposing you, you wouldn't be able to
trust his judgement because while he might have superior knowledge he
also might NOT have your best interests as his primary goal in making
those decisions. Likewise, we have a similar problem with the bias of
the experts who are making vaccine policy recommendations. In the
end, I trust the people who are most likely to have the best interests
of the child at heart more than I do experts in the field.

Robert Vienneau <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> The math says exactly the opposite.

Given your reputation with those on this newsgroup whom I respect, I
must conclude that I am on the right tract. Thanks.

In <[email protected]>, abacus wrote:

> In my opinion seat belt laws, helmet laws, and most drug laws should
> be abolished. I consider the lives lost to be part of the price of
> the freedom and those who die to be those who chose to take that risk
> in the same way that many of our forefathers chose to risk their lives
> in battle for our freedoms. The line is crossed when others are
> endangered, as for example to drink and drive. Then they are risking
> not just their own health and life, but that of others who have not
> voluntary accepted the risk.

First get the liability laws changed to "assumed risk." As long as
I'm being held responsible for /your/ risky behavior, I have a say
in whether those behaviors are legal.

We very nearly had (what I consider to be) the perfect seat belt
law in Arizona: the courts would hold any damages borne by those
not wearing them which exceeded the norm for those wearing seat
belts to be self-inflicted. Got shot down, so we now have a
mandatory seat belt law instead.

Ball in your court.

Now, as far as assumption of risk for children, please note that
some risks that affect children qualify as criminal endangerment.
Insisting that parents /explicitly/ assume that risk is not
unreasonable, if only to avoid them later whining that they didn't
_mean_ to put their children in danger.

--
| Microsoft: "A reputation for releasing inferior software will make |
| it more difficult for a software vendor to induce customers to pay |
| for new products or new versions of existing products." |
end

"Jonah Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote
> > those decisions. Likewise, we have a similar problem with the bias of
> > the experts who are making vaccine policy recommendations. In the
> > end, I trust the people who are most likely to have the best interests
> > of the child at heart more than I do experts in the field.

> This is a serious problem. Expertise is not enough and good will is not
> enough. Unless you can find one person that you are sure has both, your
> results will be quite uncertain.

You may not find such a person. The best solution is to let the
parents decide, and let them use the best available info.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (abacus) wrote:

> Robert Vienneau <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> > The math says exactly the opposite.

> Given your reputation with those on this newsgroup whom I respect, I
> must conclude that I am on the right tract. Thanks

It would be in vain to ask "abacus" what he is talking about. How
could my "reputation" change whether or not Debreu (1959) proves
the first and second Welfare theorems in a model with complete
contingent intertemporal markets? What does my "reputation" have
to do with whether or not one obtains some benefit if one's
neighbors are vaccinated?

[...]

[email protected] (David Wright) wrote in
news:D[email protected]:

>>You may not find such a person. The best solution is to let the
>>parents decide, and let them use the best available info.

> That second half is the real killer -- the idea that all parents will
> go out an use the "best available info." Instead, they might
> unwittingly use something like your lamentable "FAQ" and conclude that
> they, like you, should find flimsy excuses for not vaccinating their
> own kids, then pray that everyone else *does* vaccinate, thus allowing
> them to be the same sort of parasite you are.

Even if they've got the best of intentions, the fact is that parents tend
to deal with potential risks to their children emotionally rather than
rationally. Protecting one's children was an important function long
before the cerebral cortex evolved much, so it tends to be a midbrain
function. That's why, for example, one of the classic propaganda
techniques for stirring up hatred against a group is to claim that they
pose a threat to children; it gets parents to think emotionally rather
than rationally. In the absence of complete knowledge, parents will go
with whatever is the most emotionally compelling. And all too often that
means going with whoever has the best salesmanship. Plus, we all have a
built-in bias that causes us to perceive the risk of doing something as
greater than it actually is, and the risk of not doing something as less
than it actually is.

In <[email protected]>, Eric Bohlman wrote:

> Even if they've got the best of intentions, the fact is that parents tend
> to deal with potential risks to their children emotionally rather than
> rationally. Protecting one's children was an important function long
> before the cerebral cortex evolved much, so it tends to be a midbrain
> function. That's why, for example, one of the classic propaganda
> techniques for stirring up hatred against a group is to claim that they
> pose a threat to children; it gets parents to think emotionally rather
> than rationally. In the absence of complete knowledge, parents will go
> with whatever is the most emotionally compelling. And all too often that
> means going with whoever has the best salesmanship. Plus, we all have a
> built-in bias that causes us to perceive the risk of doing something as
> greater than it actually is, and the risk of not doing something as less
> than it actually is.

Keep in mind that that emotional response also tends to heavily
color how we weigh facts, so that even those (very) few in
posession of "complete facts [1]" won't necessarily come to
objectively justifiable conclusions.

Considering the amount of effort and expertise that goes into
making usable sense of those "complete facts," it's very
telling that anyone would seriously propose that each and
every parent take the time to master them before making
life-and-death decisions about their children.

[1] Rog has often complained that researchers haven't forwarded
him their complete datasets, including personal identifying
details. Free, of course.

--
| Microsoft: "A reputation for releasing inferior software will make |
| it more difficult for a software vendor to induce customers to pay |
| for new products or new versions of existing products." |
end

"Eric Bohlman" <[email protected]> wrote
> than rationally. In the absence of complete knowledge, parents will go
> with whatever is the most emotionally compelling. And all too often that
> means going with whoever has the best salesmanship. Plus, we all have a

So parents hear emotional arguments for and against vaccines.
They also hear emotional arguments about where to live, what
to eat, whom to vote for, etc. They still manage to make reasonable
decisions.

Roger Schlafly wrote:
> "Jonah Thomas" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>those decisions. Likewise, we have a similar problem with the bias of
>>>the experts who are making vaccine policy recommendations. In the
>>>end, I trust the people who are most likely to have the best interests
>>>of the child at heart more than I do experts in the field.

>>This is a serious problem. Expertise is not enough and good will is not
>>enough. Unless you can find one person that you are sure has both, your
>>results will be quite uncertain.

> You may not find such a person. The best solution is to let the
> parents decide, and let them use the best available info.

I tend to agree with you. Since parents have a direct stake in their
children, the result is at least that when they mess up they get a lot
of the consequences themselves. "Think of it as evolution in action."

Perhaps it would be even better, for children who're 8 years old or
older, to let the children themselves make the best informed choice they
can. By the same logic that says the parents have the child's best
interest at heart, we can say that the children themselves definitely
have their best interest at heart.

If we admit that we don't really know about long-term consequences of
things like vaccines, then it would follow that for the society as a
whole it's wrong to force people to get vaccinated. Better to prevent a
random half of the people from getting vaccinated, until we get enough
data to actually see what's happening. If half-vaccinated is not enough
to prevent occasional outbreaks among the unvaccinated half then we'd
get more data about the nature of the disease also, which is definitely
a good thing. If, over a generation or two, the advantages of
vaccination when half the population is vaccinated are obvious, then we
could gradually increase the percentage who are allowed access to
vaccines up to say 95%.