Re: Most comfortable saddle?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Mar 20, 2005.

  1. BROOKS B17 Standard. I suffrered for years with poor saddle comfort.
    With a Brooks you will ride until legs fail not stop because of butt
    pain

    Tags:

  2. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > BROOKS B17 Standard. I suffrered for years with poor saddle comfort.
    > With a Brooks you will ride until legs fail not stop because of butt
    > pain

    I'm one of a lot of people who found Brooks to be about the most
    uncomfortable saddle they've ever tried. My theory is that I need a
    saddle that is relatively flat front-to-back. I like Flites and similar
    saddles. On my MTB I have a Titec "Beserker" which is like an oversize
    Flite, which another large (6'4") friend also swears by. I had a little
    less luck with WTB saddles, but my wife finds them "perfect" so she
    rides them both on & off-road. I also find Terry saddles less
    comfortable, like the WTB saddles, they have a bit of sag
    front-to-back, but nowhere near what leather saddles have. My current
    favorite is a Selle Italia "Tri-matic" (very much like a Turbomatic, I
    guess), very flat. I've done double centuries and beyond on this one. I
    swapped with my sister for the B17, we both wound up happy.

    A funny anecdote: I was looking for a saddle for my (road) beater, and
    in my box of discards was a woman-specific MTB saddle that I bought
    years ago & my wife hated. I threw it on my bike and found it to be
    pretty confortable, so there it will stay. It's a very small saddle,
    and I'm a very large (6'10", 235) guy, but it's flat, and that seems to
    be the key for me.

  3. Aman

    Aman Guest

    I have tried Many Many saddles. My current saddle is a Selle Italia
    Prolink Gel Flow. I really like it, it a nice cross between a
    narrower racing style and a wider more comfortable saddle. Another
    saddle I really like is the Avocet O2 Air 40 Men's saddle. Its
    wider and more of a touring saddle. They also make it in a narrower
    racing style, that I have not tried but I'll bet it would be good.

    Both of these have the anatomical cut out or recession which is
    key to comfort and avoiding future sorrows.

    -Alex

    On 20 Mar 2005, Peter Cole wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > BROOKS B17 Standard. I suffrered for years with poor saddle comfort.
    > > With a Brooks you will ride until legs fail not stop because of butt
    > > pain

    > I'm one of a lot of people who found Brooks to be about the most
    > uncomfortable saddle they've ever tried. My theory is that I need a
    > saddle that is relatively flat front-to-back. I like Flites and similar
    > saddles. On my MTB I have a Titec "Beserker" which is like an oversize
    > Flite, which another large (6'4") friend also swears by. I had a little
    > less luck with WTB saddles, but my wife finds them "perfect" so she
    > rides them both on & off-road. I also find Terry saddles less
    > comfortable, like the WTB saddles, they have a bit of sag
    > front-to-back, but nowhere near what leather saddles have. My current
    > favorite is a Selle Italia "Tri-matic" (very much like a Turbomatic, I
    > guess), very flat. I've done double centuries and beyond on this one. I
    > swapped with my sister for the B17, we both wound up happy.
    >
    > A funny anecdote: I was looking for a saddle for my (road) beater, and
    > in my box of discards was a woman-specific MTB saddle that I bought
    > years ago & my wife hated. I threw it on my bike and found it to be
    > pretty confortable, so there it will stay. It's a very small saddle,
    > and I'm a very large (6'10", 235) guy, but it's flat, and that seems to
    > be the key for me.

    \

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    Aman wrote:

    > Both of these have the anatomical cut out or recession which is
    > key to comfort and avoiding future sorrows.

    You obviously took the blue pill.

  5. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I like Flites and similar
    > saddles. On my MTB I have a Titec "Beserker" which is like an oversize
    > Flite, which another large (6'4") friend also swears by.

    I've arrived at the same solution -- Flites on my road bikes, a Titec
    Berserker on my MTB. For me, the Titec feels like an oversized Flite
    with more padding for shock absorption.

    Rick

  6. StaceyJ

    StaceyJ Guest

    I rode with an old flite ti for several years, until I developed a
    severe UTI after a particularly long ride. Apparently some scarring
    resulted (psychological or otherwise), as I was never able to get comfy
    on that saddle again - at least, not on my road bike with a 2-4" saddle
    to bar drop (It's happily perched on my MTB now). I then tried a flite
    gel (the older style with three distinct gel pads), and while I was not
    blown away, It served for a few years. In time, however, the gel seems
    to have hardened. My latest acquisition is a Terry Fly Ti, which I've
    spent several hours on the trainer and a few 1.5-2 hour rides on thus
    far. Much more comfortable than the flite gel, but the profile is
    taking some adjustment - very flat, rather than the slight upward flare
    that the Selle Italia saddles had