Re: Motobecane hierarchy

Ken

Guest
morlok <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> What is/was the order of precedence (in terms of quality) of the
> Motobecane bicycle line?
> I had a Moto Grand Jubile(e), circa 1978

Motobecanes of today are not related to the Motobecanes of the 1970s. Back
in the day, Motobecane was a French company that made their bikes in France
using mostly French components (Simplex, Huret, etc.). During the 1990s,
Motobecanes were made in Canada (possibly licensing the brand name from the
French company). I don't know if the French company still exists. The
Motobecanes you see on the market today are made in Taiwan.

You have to be careful with model names. As the brand name moved from
continent to continent, model names may have moved up and down the price
ladder.

Ken wrote:
> morlok <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>>What is/was the order of precedence (in terms of quality) of the
>>Motobecane bicycle line?
>>I had a Moto Grand Jubile(e), circa 1978

> Motobecanes of today are not related to the Motobecanes of the 1970s. Back
> in the day, Motobecane was a French company that made their bikes in France
> using mostly French components (Simplex, Huret, etc.). During the 1990s,
> Motobecanes were made in Canada (possibly licensing the brand name from the
> French company). I don't know if the French company still exists. The
> Motobecanes you see on the market today are made in Taiwan.
>
> You have to be careful with model names. As the brand name moved from
> continent to continent, model names may have moved up and down the price
> ladder.

I have a Motobecane that seems like it is from the 50s. The top tube
isn't one tube at all but two tubes that converge at the rear of the
bike and shifters that are mounted at the middle of the bars, which BTW
are not drop bars but sort of up swept swoopy things. Late 50s or early
60s I think. If anyone is confused over that (I am ) I will post a
picture on my web site for the old bike experts to look at. It is all
French with maybe a German or Swiss part, but no Japanese parts at all.
Bill Baka

In article <[email protected]>,
Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ken wrote:
> > morlok <[email protected]> wrote in
> > news:[email protected]:
> >
> >>What is/was the order of precedence (in terms of quality) of the
> >>Motobecane bicycle line?
> >>I had a Moto Grand Jubile(e), circa 1978

> I have a Motobecane that seems like it is from the 50s. The top tube
> isn't one tube at all but two tubes that converge at the rear of the
> bike and shifters that are mounted at the middle of the bars, which BTW
> are not drop bars but sort of up swept swoopy things. Late 50s or early
> 60s I think. If anyone is confused over that (I am ) I will post a
> picture on my web site for the old bike experts to look at. It is all
> French with maybe a German or Swiss part, but no Japanese parts at all.
> Bill Baka

Sounds like a mixte with a moustache or priest bar.

As it happens, I have a Motobecane touring model, probably mid-70s.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> morlok <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>> What is/was the order of precedence (in terms of quality) of the
>> Motobecane bicycle line?
>> I had a Moto Grand Jubile(e), circa 1978

> Motobecanes of today are not related to the Motobecanes of the 1970s.
> Back
> in the day, Motobecane was a French company that made their bikes in
> France
> using mostly French components (Simplex, Huret, etc.). During the 1990s,
> Motobecanes were made in Canada (possibly licensing the brand name from
> the
> French company). I don't know if the French company still exists. The
> Motobecanes you see on the market today are made in Taiwan.
>
> You have to be careful with model names. As the brand name moved from
> continent to continent, model names may have moved up and down the price
> ladder.

Indeed, I bought one a year ago based upon the nostalgia of this formerly
premier name. I'd been away from cycling for too long & found out that the
current models aren't very special, and are unrelated to the name I valued.

Buyer beware. I had to rebuild rear wheel after 6 months of riding, and I
would not buy or recommend another Motobecane -- though it's still fun to
say the name!

-- M Powell

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Bill Baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Ken wrote:
>>
>>>morlok <[email protected]> wrote in
>>>news:[email protected]:

>>I have a Motobecane that seems like it is from the 50s. The top tube
>>isn't one tube at all but two tubes that converge at the rear of the
>>bike and shifters that are mounted at the middle of the bars, which BTW
>>are not drop bars but sort of up swept swoopy things. Late 50s or early
>>60s I think. If anyone is confused over that (I am ) I will post a
>>picture on my web site for the old bike experts to look at. It is all
>>French with maybe a German or Swiss part, but no Japanese parts at all.
>>Bill Baka

> Sounds like a mixte with a moustache or priest bar.
>
> As it happens, I have a Motobecane touring model, probably mid-70s.

So is there a site where I can go look and try to identify what I have?
It is a fairly simple ten speed with the rear gears going from 14 to
maybe 26 or 28. Not a real big spread there and a 14 is not too high a
gear either. The front has two rings, a 52 and a 38 (9?) and is pretty
conventional. The brakes are standard side pull but the handlebars are
what is confusing me with the swoop up, unless they were made for us
backwards American riders. Were they made in the 50s and sent to the
states or was that just the way they started out, as ten speed comport
bikes? It seems unlikely that they would have been selling non-drop bars
when my first ten speed was a vintage about 1960 Peugeot with drops.
Web sites? Info?
Thanks,
Bill Baka
I am mainly missing the shifter arms and the screws/nuts to hold them
and may have to have some made to be strictly correct. Some of those
parts looked to be solid brass.