Re: Mountain biker killed by bear in BC

OzCableguy wrote:
> "Mike Vandeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 09:34:46 -0700
>>Subject: Mountain biker killed by bear in BC
>>

> Crikey! Over here the scariest thing in the forest is me, with the possible
> exception of magpies in nesting season (which starts next month. Gulp!)

Give you a tip, if you ever go campng in Northern Australia, do not camp
near water. Make it a few hundred metres away.

Rather unpopular one bicycle trip when I insisted.
NO arguments the next morning from anyone in the group. It was a big
******* that left tracks right where they wanted to camp.

"Terryc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Give you a tip, if you ever go campng in Northern Australia, do not camp
> near water. Make it a few hundred metres away.
>
> Rather unpopular one bicycle trip when I insisted.
> NO arguments the next morning from anyone in the group. It was a big
> ******* that left tracks right where they wanted to camp.

I forgot about those. Saying "crikey" should have brought it to mind. :)
There have been verified sightings as far down as Rockhampton too
(http://tinyurl.com/2z8wff) but not down this far yet (Brisbane) thank
goodness.

But I guess there's other scary stuff like the fierce snake, taipans, king
browns, red belly black, death adders, redbacks, funnelwebs, blue ringed
octopus, irukandji, stonefish... hmmm... maybe we'd be better off with bears
and cougars...

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

"OzCableguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Terryc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Give you a tip, if you ever go campng in Northern Australia, do not camp
>> near water. Make it a few hundred metres away.
>>
>> Rather unpopular one bicycle trip when I insisted.
>> NO arguments the next morning from anyone in the group. It was a big
>> ******* that left tracks right where they wanted to camp.
>>

> I forgot about those. Saying "crikey" should have brought it to mind. :)
> There have been verified sightings as far down as Rockhampton too
> (http://tinyurl.com/2z8wff) but not down this far yet (Brisbane) thank
> goodness.
>
> But I guess there's other scary stuff like the fierce snake, taipans, king
> browns, red belly black, death adders, redbacks, funnelwebs, blue ringed
> octopus, irukandji, stonefish... hmmm... maybe we'd be better off with
> bears and cougars...
>
> --
> www.ozcableguy.com
> www.oztechnologies.com

Shoot mate. Most of the stuff living in your Outback will either bite you,
stick you, or sting you! I spent two years in the NT and let me tell you,
you ain't living until you're sitting around a campfire in the evening and
someone tells you there's a snake under your chair. After a few minutes
FROZEN to my seat I used a flashlight to get him to move. I focused it on
the ground and he thought it was warm. He kept trying to move into the light
until he was a few feet away and I could move and change my skivvies!!

That was "invigorating".

Marty