Re: Moustache Bars - theory and practice ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ken, May 7, 2006.

  1. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Bob <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    4ax.com:
    > So... how do these work out in practice? Are they better or worse for
    > general touring ?

    Better or worse than what? If you're comparing them to dropped handlebars, I
    think the lack of a drop position is a significant handicap on hilly rides.
    On short, flat rides around town, 1 or 2 hand positions is fine.

    BTW - isn't the whole purpose of these bars to evade Japanese tax laws? They
    had different tax rates on racing bikes (with dropped handlebars) and
    commuting bikes (with flat handlebars), so the moustache bars were invented
    to sell sportier bikes at the lower tax rate. In the USA, I don't see any
    reason to buy moustache bars unless you have back problems that prevent you
    from using dropped handlebars.

    Tags:

  2. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Ken <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Bob <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected] 4ax.com:
    > > So... how do these work out in practice? Are they better or worse
    > > for general touring ?

    > Better or worse than what? If you're comparing them to dropped
    > handlebars, I think the lack of a drop position is a significant
    > handicap on hilly rides. On short, flat rides around town, 1 or 2
    > hand positions is fine.
    >
    > BTW - isn't the whole purpose of these bars to evade Japanese tax
    > laws? They had different tax rates on racing bikes (with dropped
    > handlebars) and commuting bikes (with flat handlebars), so the
    > moustache bars were invented to sell sportier bikes at the lower tax
    > rate. In the USA, I don't see any reason to buy moustache bars
    > unless you have back problems that prevent you from using dropped
    > handlebars.

    Moustache bars were prevalent in Europe on bicycles, but in particular
    on dernys. They were resurrected by Bridgestone for the U.S. market in
    the early 90s. I don't know if they were even sold on Bridgestone bikes
    in Japan, but no doubt someone here will.