Re: Multi-sport, all-around jacket/shell?

David L. Johnson

Guest
On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:38:36 -0500, PCB wrote:

> Is there a good, uninsulated, waterproof/breathable jacket, patterned for
> cycling, but with a removable hood?

The extent to which it is breathable is, advertising aside, the extent to
which it is not waterproof.

I have a USPS-branded windbreaker/parka that is pretty good, but once the
rain gets bad enough, I'm gonna get soaked. Since that happens less often
than getting soaked from the inside when wearing a plastic bag or
equivalent, I live with it.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:38:36 -0500, PCB wrote:
>

> The extent to which it is breathable is, advertising aside, the extent to
> which it is not waterproof.

I used to work at REI and later MSR (R & D), and this is my understanding.

Waterproofness and breathability are two measures of the same characteristic
from different ends of the specturm (if it's waterproof it won't breath, and
if it's very breathable it can't be very waterproof.)

Further, no fabric can breath once the outer or inner surface is covered
with water in the liquid phase. It might pass a small amount of liquid water
the cloth, but it can't "breath" in any sense that we'd call "breathing".

Ironically, one of the best compromises I've ever run across was the
old-fashioned 60/40 cloth, which breathed very well and was also essentially
waterproof once the fabric became saturated with liquid water, but by then
it was also clammy. C'es le vie.

- Lance

PCB wrote:

> *Windproof*, breathable, and water-resistant. That's all I really need
> for a shell.

You might look here for either designs, materials, ideas, or possibly
custom garment if you're really particular about what you're looking
for. NFI, and I haven't used her services, but she is a mtn biker and
posts in alt.mountain-bike.

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/about/whatis.asp

I wouldn't think it would be that hard to find the hood design you're
looking for since that's what I see in a lot of stores - and looks
exactly like what I'm *not* looking for ;) It looks like the hood
doesn't close fully in the front to come up over chin, but maybe the
looks are deceiving. I like my hoods attached, stowable out of the way,
and full closure in the front to keep 50 mph winds out. I've never had
an attached, stowed hood get in my way for running or biking that I
remember. (Runners in Alaska and other places do wear hoods *if* the
weather warrants it.)

FWIW, I'm currently testing Patagonia Krushell. It's definitely
windproof and water-resistant (definitely not waterproof in a steady
rain), but not sure yet about breathability for winter use (can't handle
sweat-load in cool rain, but I think it'll be able to handle winter
sweat-loads, at least I think based on brief test last winter). I
haven't biked in it yet, at least not that I remember, to know if
there's any issues with it being too long (no double zip in front, I
don't wear my good running/biking gear for everyday commuting). I got it
about 1/2 price on close-out at end of last winter so it hasn't been
through all seasons yet. Definitely wouldn't pay full price for it, but
it's a big improvement for me over what I had been using. I'll probably
be looking for something lighter for summer wear (3-4oz). Technology is
constantly improving.

Good luck in your search.

Dot

--
"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste
away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog