Re: Multi-sport, all-around jacket/shell?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Stewy, Sep 21, 2004.

  1. Stewy

    Stewy Guest

    PCB wrote:

    > I bought the $40 ³seam sealed rain jacket² from PerformanceBike. It
    > has a very functional design. The fabric it is made out of is supposed
    > to be breathable, but it¹s not even close to that.
    >
    > So, who can tell me what options I have to choose from?

    get a lightweight shell made form E-Vent material.
    this stuff DOES breath when wet, goretx wont.

    Tags:

  2. Ellis

    Ellis Guest

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:38:51 -0500, PCB <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Stewy
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> get a lightweight shell made form E-Vent material.
    >> this stuff DOES breath when wet, goretx wont.

    >Thanks. I'm actually looking for suggestions of sprecific garments.
    >Are there any jackets made with this 'E-vent' material that have
    >pit-zips, drop-tail, removable hood, and perhaps extra long sleeves
    >(cycling style)? The only jacket I could find on the WWW made with
    >"E-vent" is this parka-length garment (e.g. too long for cycling).
    >http://www.klattermusen.se/eng/products/megin.shtml
    >
    >The parka that I had was a "TH-4" garment, made by Red Ledge. The
    >multi-layer fabric was great for waterproofness and breathability.
    >
    >I don¹t actually mind if a garment is unbreathable while Œsaturated¹
    >because I¹m less likely to be working up a sweat during cold rain
    >showers. The problem with the Red Ledge garment was just that a parka
    >is too long in the torso to wear while cycling.

    This looks like a nice jacket:

    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/2325/V/1/SP/328965336791364895254

    Apart from Montane, other eVENT jacket makers include Rab, Lowe
    Alpine, North Face, Pearl Izumi - many others. Most well-known
    outdoor clothes manufacturers do one now. Google your head off.

    Despite what somebody said above, Goretex, particularly the PacLite
    stuff, is very breathable - not as breathable as eVENT, but cheaper
    and pretty good.

    Ellis