Re: MUni Shoes!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by ColDawG, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. ColDawG

    ColDawG Guest

    I've been looking around for an awesome MUni shoe, and this one looks
    like it fits the bill: The '05 Sawpit (Specialized)
    Stiff sole, designed to grip pedals for extreme mountain bikers. It also
    has ankle protection, and although it's for clipless pedals, you can
    just cover the cleat.
    Tell me what you think or if you have it how you like it

    http://tinyurl.com/5zqu8

    --
    ColDawG - Level 4 after 2 months

    Looking for MUni buddies!
    ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

  2. markf

    markf Guest

    probably too stiff to get *that* much grip. wouldn't be comfortable to
    walk in. probably pretty pricey. other than that it looks good. try a
    high top or mid skate type shoe. you'll probably have better luck and
    spend less cash. also there's the 661 high top shoe that people seem to
    like retail is around $80 but can often be found for less.

    --
    markf - movie nerd

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  3. tholub

    tholub Guest

    ColDawG wrote:
    > *I've been looking around for an awesome MUni shoe, and this one looks
    > like it fits the bill: The '05 Sawpit (Specialized)
    > Stiff sole, designed to grip pedals for extreme mountain bikers. It
    > also has ankle protection, and although it's for clipless pedals, you
    > can just cover the cleat.
    > Tell me what you think or if you have it how you like it
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5zqu8 *

    I haven't seen this shoe in person, so it is hard to say. My experience
    of looking at MTB shoes is that their soles are too chunky; they would
    grip the pedal but wouldn't be easy to adjust your foot position, but
    I'd really have to look at the tread bottom to get an idea.

    Oh, and where in the Bay Area are you if you're looking for MUni
    buddies? We've got a sizable group that rides out of Oakland/Berkeley.

    --
    tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

  4. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Any MTB shoe that fit the clipless pedal cleats is going to be way too
    stiff to grip the pedals. Even the BMX style shoes that fit a clipless
    pedal cleat are too stiff. The shoe sole will not get good grip even on
    a pinned platform pedal. Your feet will skate around on the pedals and
    every time you hit a bump your shoe will move on the pedals. Not a good
    type of shoe for muni. There are, however, some people who like the
    real stiff bike shoes for Coker riding.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

  5. Checkernuts

    Checkernuts Guest

    I have a pair of Intense Downhill shoes that I dont believe are made
    anymore but are basically light boots with 5.10 flat bottom soles. They
    both provide ankle protection and support and have a good amount of grip
    (much better than your average boots) I have had mine for about a year
    now and they are holding up well. If you are looking for Muni specific
    boots you should deffenatlly check them out.

    These five ten shoes look to be the closest thing in production to the
    ones I have...

    http://www.fiveten.com/product/impacthi.htm

    [image: http://www.fiveten.com/product/large/impacthi.jpg]

    --
    Checkernuts - Breakdancer Extraordinar

    No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
    odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
    to do it right. H20

    Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

  6. Tim

    Tim Guest

  7. DK

    DK Guest

    Checkernuts wrote:
    > *I have a pair of Intense Downhill shoes that I dont believe are made
    > anymore but are basically light boots with 5.10 flat bottom soles.
    > They both provide ankle protection and support and have a good amount
    > of grip (much better than your average boots) I have had mine for
    > about a year now and they are holding up well. If you are looking for
    > Muni specific boots you should deffenatlly check them out.
    >
    > *

    You beat me to it... the intese shoes are the BEST shoes for flat
    pedals... period.
    --
    The problem is they arent currently in production.- though I have heard
    they will start maikng them again soon. Check the net and search

    --
    DK - Team YAMS Member

    -Hunter-
    Im a Yamsta.
    DK's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8054

  8. ColDawG

    ColDawG Guest

  9. unicyclepa

    unicyclepa Guest

  10. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Checkernuts wrote:
    > *http://www.fiveten.com/product/impacthi.htm
    >
    > [image: http://www.fiveten.com/product/large/impacthi.jpg] *

    The 'Downhill Zone' (http://www.downhillzone.net/) (A Seattle DH bike
    shop) has those shoes in stock. They used to carry the Intense shoes
    that had the same sole.

    The Five Ten shoes do look good. I may give them a try. They're just a
    tad expensive at about $90. At least if I get them at the Downhill Zone
    I'll be able to try them on before buying them.

    I find my current combination of Vans and 661 Ankle Biters to work well.
    The 661 Dually also works well if you add in a Dr. Scholl's Advantage
    Sport insole. The Five Ten shoe looks to be better constructed than the
    661 Dually so could be a better value in the long run.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

  11. GizmoDuck

    GizmoDuck Guest

    I think those shoes with the velcro straps over the laces are a good
    thing. Nothing worse than getting your laces caught in the axle/crank
    when you're pedalling fast :eek: .

    I've been using similar shoes to these for MUni for about three years-
    The Salomon lace free system works great:
    http://tinyurl.com/4pm8s

    --
    GizmoDuck - NZUNI

    o-kO
    'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

  12. unicyclepa wrote:
    > *Monty makes nice ones for trials and there cool blue
    >
    > [image:
    > http://www.dressler.cz/obchod/images/accessories/shoes/monty_shoe.jpg]
    >
    > *

    Those are impossible to find (the monties).

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - SWAT

    'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
    'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
    'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
    'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

    \"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
    him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

    \"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
    mental

    *disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
    are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
    feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
    everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
    criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*

  13. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "john_childs" <[email protected]> writes:

    > The Five Ten shoes do look good. I may give them a try. They're just a
    > tad expensive at about $90. At least if I get them at the Downhill Zone
    > I'll be able to try them on before buying them.

    I like the ankle protection on those Five Ten shoes. Any rock climber
    can tell you that the soles are very sticky - a property I just
    confirmed in a test ride down the bike path on my cruiser with old
    beartrap pedals. Just be aware that the dots on the sole limit the
    positions and angles that you can use to grip the pedals, just like
    lug soled hiking boots or trail shoes will.

    Ken

  14. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "john_childs" <[email protected]> writes:

    > The Five Ten shoes do look good. I may give them a try. They're just a
    > tad expensive at about $90. At least if I get them at the Downhill Zone
    > I'll be able to try them on before buying them.

    I like the ankle protection on those Five Ten shoes. Any rock climber
    can tell you that the soles are very sticky - a property I just
    confirmed in a test ride down the bike path on my cruiser with old
    beartrap pedals. Just be aware that the dots on the sole limit the
    positions and angles that you can use to grip the pedals, just like
    lug soled hiking boots or trail shoes will.

    Ken

  15. MuniAddict

    MuniAddict Guest

    I've been using the Five Ten "High Impact" shoes for almost 8 months now
    and I love 'em! Fantastic fit and durability, but after 8 months of
    almost *daily* Muni and contact with my Drillium pedals :)eek:) I'm
    ready for another pair! Many websites sell them for over $100, but I
    found a place locally that sells them for only $79.98! So I'm picking
    them up tomorrow and save shipping. These are flat out the best, most
    comfortable shoes I've ever owned!:D

    'http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/145...pact-Shoes.htm'
    (http://tinyurl.com/2djxzd)

    |Filename: D_285 FIVHI5.jpg |

    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man.")

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. I've been using Five-Ten Impacts for about 18 months and I'm very
    impressed as well - mine have hardly any pedal spike damage from my DMR
    V8s, so perhaps Terry's pedals are sharper (and his riding is probably
    more aggressive than mine!). The soles on the previous pair of boots I
    used were ripped to shreds in the same time. Some people find them too
    grippy, but I like the secure feeling and it's easy enough to move your
    foot by "tilt and swivel".

    They're expensive here, about £60 (or at least they were when I bought
    mine - haven't checked the latest prices) - although I suppose that's
    cheap compared with chav's trainers.

    The only bad point for me is that when they get wet (which is a lot
    round here) they take forever to dry, even stuffed with paper - they
    seem to soak up a ridiculous amount of water. There was a discussion
    about them in the reviews forum some time ago and most people seemed to
    disagree with me on that one, so perhaps you have different water in
    the USA :p

    Rob

    --
    rob.northcott
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. gkmac

    gkmac Guest

    rob.northcott wrote:
    > The only bad point for me is that when they get wet (which is a lot
    > round here) they take forever to dry, even stuffed with paper - they
    > seem to soak up a ridiculous amount of water. There was a discussion
    > about them in the reviews forum some time ago and most people seemed to
    > disagree with me on that one,

    I agree that if they do get wet, they do soak up water like a sponge and
    take forever to dry out.

    What's strange is that despite the above, I've only had to dry mine out
    on two occasions, unlike the ordinary trainers I was wearing before.
    I've had a few mid-puddle UPDs both with the ordinary trainers and then
    the Five-Tens, yet the trainers were a lot more likely to get wet.

    --
    gkmac

    "Those who can, do. Those who can't, take the pictures." - tomblackwood
    "As it only hurts when you walk, will you be riding everywhere now?" -
    mikepenton
    "Well, not everything is as practical as making your cranks flip around
    I guess." - Brian MacKenzie
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. vivalargo

    vivalargo Guest

    Go to the five ten site (Fiveten.com) and check out the Sam Hill low
    tops. Expensive (120 bucks), but the hottest thing going for DH bikers
    and munieers. Not only do they work fantastic but you can get them
    resoled for 30 bucks.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. oddsends

    oddsends Guest

    5-10's are the way to go. They are very comfy for riding, not so much
    for walking. After several months of use I am starting to see signs of
    damage from the pins. After getting used to riding with them it feels
    squirrelly to ride with anything else.

    --
    oddsends
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. MuniAddict

    MuniAddict Guest

    vivalargo wrote:
    > Go to the five ten site (Fiveten.com) and check out the Sam Hill low
    > tops. Expensive (120 bucks), but the hottest thing going for DH bikers
    > and munieers. Not only do they work fantastic but you can get them
    > resoled for 30 bucks.
    >
    > JL

    Nah, I'll stick with the Mids; they provide much more ankle
    protection...well, the Sam Hill has nada.