Re: Murrarie crits - 30July2005

Mick

Guest
"Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote
> Finally - I can call myself a Cat 2 rider!!

[snip]

That was a great effort AH! I knew we must have been working
pretty hard so as soon as we crossed the finish line I tucked my
computer into my jersey pocket - figured the avg would be a
keeper. 39.12! That's an official world record for me.

> Since then, I've been walking around with a silly grin on my face...

I'm still smilin'. That race was fantastic! I can't wait to get out there
and do it again.

I was really nervous at the start. Had no idea what to expect for
my first crit. I had read other peoples advice about not hanging
around the back so I started in about the front third. My only goals
were to try to stay in touch, out of the wind, and upright.

What surprised me the most initially was how easy it was to find
yourself moving steadily towards the back of the bunch. After a
few laps I figured out that there were places where the bunch
surged and places where they eased up. So when they eased up
I rolled around the side to work my way forward.

I don't if anyone stayed away off the front. There were a few
breaks but I think they all got chased down. I kinda lost track at
the end. With 3 laps to go things got very bunched up and I was
just concentrating on holding a line. I managed to finish with the
bunch and haven't stopped smiling since.

It was great to finally meet Paul, Tam and Lotte. Nice to put faces
to the names. It made the whole first race jitters thing a lot easier.

Thanks guys. Look forward to doing to all again soon.

Mick

Mick wrote:

> "Absent Husband" <[email protected]> wrote
> > Finally - I can call myself a Cat 2 rider!!

> [snip]
>
> That was a great effort AH! I knew we must have been working
> pretty hard so as soon as we crossed the finish line I tucked my
> computer into my jersey pocket - figured the avg would be a
> keeper. 39.12! That's an official world record for me.

It was a smidgey faster than Cat 2 normally is... I'd love to see how
fast our average would be if we hadn't been braking through every
corner.

> > Since then, I've been walking around with a silly grin on my face...

> I'm still smilin'. That race was fantastic! I can't wait to get out there
> and do it again.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I said to Abby that you rode really well, not
just fast but nice bunch skills too. Abby said you do repeats up Mt
Gravatt. Smartarse.

> I was really nervous at the start. Had no idea what to expect for
> my first crit. I had read other peoples advice about not hanging
> around the back so I started in about the front third. My only goals
> were to try to stay in touch, out of the wind, and upright.

That's so brave for your first. I knew to do that.... but I still
didn't!

> What surprised me the most initially was how easy it was to find
> yourself moving steadily towards the back of the bunch. After a
> few laps I figured out that there were places where the bunch
> surged and places where they eased up. So when they eased up
> I rolled around the side to work my way forward.

Yeah... that's my trick. Hence the oops-breakaway.

> I don't if anyone stayed away off the front. There were a few
> breaks but I think they all got chased down. I kinda lost track at

Hehehehe that was me!

> the end. With 3 laps to go things got very bunched up and I was
> just concentrating on holding a line. I managed to finish with the
> bunch and haven't stopped smiling since.
>
> It was great to finally meet Paul, Tam and Lotte. Nice to put faces
> to the names. It made the whole first race jitters thing a lot easier.
>
> Thanks guys. Look forward to doing to all again soon.
>
> Mick

See you next weekend. Are we all backing up for Nundah crit in the
afternoon?!

"See you next weekend. Are we all backing up for Nundah crit in the
afternoon?! "
<snip>

I was talking to my wife about next weekend. Told her about Nundah, and
said, "So, not sure which one to do - we'll have to work out what we're
doing next Saturday".

And SHE said, "Why don't you race both?".

WTF?? Maybe I've been talking up my prowess a little more than I
thought *laughing*

I'm keen to try out Nundah. It'll be nice to try somewhere different,
and compare standards.

Abby

Absent Husband wrote:

> "See you next weekend. Are we all backing up for Nundah crit in the
> afternoon?! "
> <snip>
>
> I was talking to my wife about next weekend. Told her about Nundah, and
> said, "So, not sure which one to do - we'll have to work out what we're
> doing next Saturday".
>
> And SHE said, "Why don't you race both?".

Oh, she is SOOOOO cool. AB is going to ride to both, but he lives
central. I don't really feature riding back from Nundah to Eight Mile
Plains after my second crit for the day...

> WTF?? Maybe I've been talking up my prowess a little more than I
> thought *laughing*
>
> I'm keen to try out Nundah. It'll be nice to try somewhere different,
> and compare standards.
>
> Abby

Where's Adam85?

Dude, what's the circuit like there... are we talking kerbs or not?

Tam

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Absent Husband wrote:
>>
>> "See you next weekend. Are we all backing up for Nundah crit in the
>> afternoon?! "
>> <snip>
>>
>> I was talking to my wife about next weekend. Told her about Nundah, and
>> said, "So, not sure which one to do - we'll have to work out what we're
>> doing next Saturday".
>>
>> And SHE said, "Why don't you race both?".

> Oh, she is SOOOOO cool. AB is going to ride to both, but he lives
> central. I don't really feature riding back from Nundah to Eight Mile
> Plains after my second crit for the day...
>
>> WTF?? Maybe I've been talking up my prowess a little more than I
>> thought *laughing*
>>
>> I'm keen to try out Nundah. It'll be nice to try somewhere different,
>> and compare standards.
>>
>> Abby

> Where's Adam85?
>
> Dude, what's the circuit like there... are we talking kerbs or not?
>
> Tam

[Pate Biscuit voice] Here's a picture boys and girls..
http://www.hamiltonwheelers.com/page2.html

Lovely fast smooth surface and no bumps or kerbs,
but be a bit careful round the back of the circuit where it
weaves through some chicane-type corners. It's a clockwise
direction. If there is a large field don't try and move up through
those corners on the inside, just hold your line, play nice and
give everyone heaps of room. There is some handrail near some
culverts that really shouldn't be there, it's too close to the track.
I'll make a suggestion to use some some sort of padding there
even if it's haybales. Crashing sucks big time...remember that
bloke in our TTT? Three C1 fractures, and 12 weeks in
traction poor bloke!

Anyhow it's good to see all you guys out there racing and talking
da ****!! :)

Adam

adam85 wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Absent Husband wrote:
> >>
> >> "See you next weekend. Are we all backing up for Nundah crit in the
> >> afternoon?! "
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> I was talking to my wife about next weekend. Told her about Nundah, and
> >> said, "So, not sure which one to do - we'll have to work out what we're
> >> doing next Saturday".
> >>
> >> And SHE said, "Why don't you race both?".

> > Oh, she is SOOOOO cool. AB is going to ride to both, but he lives
> > central. I don't really feature riding back from Nundah to Eight Mile
> > Plains after my second crit for the day...
> >
> >> WTF?? Maybe I've been talking up my prowess a little more than I
> >> thought *laughing*
> >>
> >> I'm keen to try out Nundah. It'll be nice to try somewhere different,
> >> and compare standards.
> >>
> >> Abby

> > Where's Adam85?
> >
> > Dude, what's the circuit like there... are we talking kerbs or not?
> >
> > Tam

> [Pate Biscuit voice] Here's a picture boys and girls..
> http://www.hamiltonwheelers.com/page2.html

I couldn't make out much except the shape... I could see text but it's
pretty small (at least on my browser)... maybe there was something about
a camel?

> Lovely fast smooth surface and no bumps or kerbs,
> but be a bit careful round the back of the circuit where it
> weaves through some chicane-type corners. It's a clockwise
> direction. If there is a large field don't try and move up through
> those corners on the inside, just hold your line, play nice and
> give everyone heaps of room. There is some handrail near some

Ta for tips

> culverts that really shouldn't be there, it's too close to the track.

I nearly got taken out near uni by a ******** cyclist who thought he
would fit past me where they have slow-rails up. Except then he decided
to go right down the middle, and I was left coasting through with my
body twisted around to the side so as to not gut or elbow myself.
******. I hate rails. I even hated those rails at the top on the
velodrome.

> I'll make a suggestion to use some some sort of padding there
> even if it's haybales. Crashing sucks big time...remember that
> bloke in our TTT? Three C1 fractures, and 12 weeks in
> traction poor bloke!

Ouch!

> Anyhow it's good to see all you guys out there racing and talking
>
> Adam

Ciao...