UK and Europe · Public discussion

Re: my 8 year unbeaten run

Started by Simon Brooke · · Last activity · 1 post · 400 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
23 December 2005
Last activity
23 December 2005
Original author
Simon Brooke
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
400
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. in message <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven

    (') said:
    Simon Brooke said:

    in message <[email hidden]>, ctz

    (') said:


    (Does anybody wear a helmet with chin protector? Would you recommend
    it?)

    I wear one of these
    <URL:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2407>, as
    do a number of other people in my club. However, I've never worn it
    (or any other helmet) for a road journey, and I don't usually wear it
    off road unless I'm intending to do something silly.

    I've no idea how much difference the chin protector would make in
    practice, although in a simple fall I think it would be effective.
    It's not very much heavier than a helmet without, but you do look
    slightly more wierd than the average cyclist and the wind noise around
    your ears is quite high.

    But IMHO if you're going to wear a helmet at all it might as well
    protect your face, since that tends to be the bit of the head that
    takes damage in falls from bikes.

    There is evidence from the motorbike world though that a chin bar
    prevents injury to the chin at the expense of transferring the energy
    to
    the neck and creating spinal hyperextension. I would rather ask the
    doctor to repair a broken chin than a broken neck.

    Yeah. We're talking about two quite different engineering structures
    here, however; one is a very solid piece of laminated composite integral
    with the equally solid helmet, and the other is a thin piece of
    (apparently) press-moulded ABS with some foam on the inside, held onto
    the equally flimsy helmet by four bolts.

    There's no way it's strong enough to transfer enough force to break your
    neck. I don't believe it's strong enough to protect you from a broken
    chin, any more than the rest of the helmet is going to do much about a
    broken skull. What it may protect you from, however, like the rest of
    the helmet, is gouges, scrapes and scratches, which on the face can
    leave unsightly scarring.

    While I agree that far more research is needed on cycle helmet safety and
    that the outcomes of such research are often counter-intuitive, on the
    whole I think a chin guard of this sort is /probably/ a good thing, for
    journeys where any helmet is merited at all. For example, I think it
    would have protected the OP from finding 'a rather large chunk of flesh
    hanging from my chin', but I question whether that would have been worth
    the hassle of wearing the bloody thing every ride for eight years.

    It's a judgement call, of course, and I'm certainly not trying to
    persuade anyone else to wear one. It might help, but, as you say,
    equally it might not.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
    ;; it isn't furry.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.