Re: My Hat is Off To London Bicyclists

Martin Dann

Guest
x-posted from rec.bicycles.misc to uk.rec.cycling

Stephen Harding wrote:
> Spent a week in London last week and besides the
> fantastic public transport (Tube and bus), I was
> most impressed by the bicyclists of the city!
>
> They were everywhere!
>
> And they weren't timid souls poking along desperately
> trying to stay a few inches from the curb to
> accommodate speeding motor vehicles; they were right
> out in the lanes, moving back and forth for left and
> right turns, and in every since of the word, behaving
> like vehicles with a right to the road!
>
> Very impressive.
>
> The London motorists, while going quite fast IMHO,
> seemed to be very tolerant of the bicyclists as well,
> so kudos to them too.
>
> I saw only one occasion where a Mercedes laid on the
> horn when a very nicely dressed woman in long skirt,
> boots and jacket "took the lane" ahead of him.
>
> All the riders seemed to really move along. Equipped
> with head and tail lights, they zipped along the sides
> of city streets making great progress.
>
> Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to
> be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
> no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!

This is completely different to the impression of cyclist you will read
about in the British press. The popular impression is that we all cycle
without lights, on the footpath, always jumping red lights and
deliberately holding up (already queuing) motorised traffic.

> They were simply [presumably] commuting to and from work
> by the seeming hundreds. Don't know if London has always
> had such a large bicycle commuting population or if this
> is the result of the city charging cars that come into
> town, but it was good to see.

> Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to
> > be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
> > no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!

I find this a bit surprising, perhaps he went in nice weather .

While those whose journey is short may wear their office clothes, I
always wear tough cycle clothes for a full length commute, especially
through town in winter.You'd look like a bundle of tattered rags after
a week of 20mile days in a 2 piece suit.I suppose being a merkin he
may mistake the commuting outfit for normal dress.
Is it true that most of the london commuters are wearing their day
clothes?
TerryJ

On Nov 20, 11:09 pm, TerryJ <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to

> > > be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
> > > no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!

> I find this a bit surprising, perhaps he went in nice weather .
>
> While those whose journey is short may wear their office clothes, I
> always wear tough cycle clothes for a full length commute, especially
> through town in winter.You'd look like a bundle of tattered rags after
> a week of 20mile days in a 2 piece suit.I suppose being a merkin he
> may mistake the commuting outfit for normal dress.
> Is it true that most of the london commuters are wearing their day
> clothes?
> TerryJ

IME no but I suspect your impression varies a great deal depending on
the time, location and road type on which you make you observations

best wishes
james

TerryJ wrote:
> > Finally, no "bicycling outfits"! They all seemed to
>>> be wearing fairly nice "go to work" clothes. No jerseys,
>>> no SPDs, no tights or leggings, and no helmets!

> I find this a bit surprising, perhaps he went in nice weather .
>
> While those whose journey is short may wear their office clothes, I
> always wear tough cycle clothes for a full length commute, especially
> through town in winter.You'd look like a bundle of tattered rags after
> a week of 20mile days in a 2 piece suit.I suppose being a merkin he
> may mistake the commuting outfit for normal dress.
> Is it true that most of the london commuters are wearing their day
> clothes?
> TerryJ

And no-one serious cycles without SPDs :)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> IME no but I suspect your impression varies a great deal depending on
> the time, location and road type on which you make you observations

go down to my comment on gardening