Re: Near Miss from Trying to Signal

Claire Petersky

Guest
"loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> That reminds of something I've been pondering in a 'Pinky and The Brain'
> fashion:
>
> How long should one hold the signal? Sometimes, like on an up slope, I

don't
> want to have my hands off the handlebar for very long so I can keep my
> forward momentum consistant and stable.

I have the opposite situation, every morning, entering our building's
parking garage. There's always pedestrians on the sidewalk, a fair number
of cars, and often a bus stopped just there near or at the curb cut. The
street, Madison, is very steep* and I need to turn right. If I take the
hands off of the brake, I can't make the turn, so I never use a hand signal.
What I mostly do is yell, "Turning!" This will alert the pedestrians at
least, and possibly is loud enough to attract the attention of someone
leaving the garage (the sound, not the exact words). The cars and the buses
will just have to tough it.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

*How steep is Madison between 2nd and 3rd? Two nearby office buildings that
have a first floor on 2nd have a fourth floor on 3rd.

Colin Petersky wrote:
:: Claire Petersky wrote:
::
::: Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com
::
:: So it's you!
::

Are you two related? :)

"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Colin Petersky wrote:
> :: Claire Petersky wrote:
> ::
> ::: Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com
> ::
> :: So it's you!
>
> Are you two related? :)

Generally Peterskys in North America are blood relatives, descendents of my
great-grandfather Simon Petersky (ne Schmaje Pietezky) who emigrated to
Canada in the early 1880s. However, there are Peterskys from central
European countries (no relation that I know of), some of whom have emigrated
elsewhere. I suspect Colin is one of these. However, as someone with
genealogy as a hobby, I'd be interested to be proven wrong.

Claire Petersky wrote:

> Generally Peterskys in North America are blood relatives

And generally the "Colin Petersky" in question was an amusing bit of
sock-puppetry ;-)