Re: Need advice on buying bike for 360 lbs bloke

Blue Gator

> Hi all,
>
> some advice on bikes for big blokes please.
> I am 180 kg, and 1,88 m tall. Thats 6"17' and 30 stones.
> (Hope I go the conversion right. I am sure about the metric ones.)
>
> So far I have been able to find only two bicycles so far that will
> support my weight:
>
> Schauff Sumo (English language website)
> http://www.schauff.de/schauff2002.de/index.php?language=e&action=fahr...
> and
>
> Utopia London (German language only, but nice pictures)
> http://www.utopia-fahrrad.de/Fahrrad_Html/Kapitel_Html/81_London_104....
>
> I will see the only UK dealership offering Schauff Sumo tomorrow.
>
> Do you know of any other bicycles that will be OK?
> I do not want to build a bike by myself, but buy a ready-made one.
>
> Thanks,
> JanMartin
>
> P.S.:
> Excuse my English, I am a German in UK.

For us Americans, 1.88m=6'2" and 180kg=397lb.

I had the same concerns when I bought my bike a few years ago. I'm
taller than you at 6'4" (1.93m) but lighter, 295lb (134kg) at that time.
I also asked for advice in the forums, got little helpful information,
and ended up checking at the LBS. None of them were particularly
concerned with my weight and I ended up with a Fuji aluminum framed road
bike with 28 spoke wheels. I haven't had any problems yet. My
experience doesn't necessarily apply to you, since you outweigh me by
30%, but if I were you I'd talk to a few local shops, pick the one you
think will back up their advice and product, then buy there. I did that
and I haven't regretted it.