Re: need some beginner help here

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Donovan Rebbechi, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. On 2005-01-17, Conrad <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I'm going to be joining the police academy in the summer and I need
    > some advice on beginning a running program that will help me prepare.
    > I have almost no running experience and I'm in my mid-thirties. I also
    > have about forty pounds to lose. The good news is that I have six
    > months to get ready. My three main objectives are;
    >
    > Be able to jog an easy 2-3 miles a day when the academy starts
    > Be able to run a mile and a half in ~14:00
    > Be able to spring 300 meters in ~70 seconds

    The good news is that those times are actually very easy for a runner your
    age. Once you've nailed the first goal, the others will come much more
    easily.

    As another poster noted, there are several schedules out there that start
    with a very modest walk/run program. I'd recommend Bob Glover's book, or
    anything you can find on the runningtimes.com website.

    The key is to gradually build up to a consistent schedule of daily running.

    Regarding the bike -- go for it. Ride at will. Keep in mind that transfer from
    cycling fitness to running fitness is limited (so running/walking should be
    the primary goal) but the bike will help you lose weight.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

    Tags:

  2. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
    > The good news is that those times are actually very easy for a runner

    your
    > age. Once you've nailed the first goal, the others will come much

    more
    > easily.
    >
    > As another poster noted, there are several schedules out there that

    start
    > with a very modest walk/run program. I'd recommend Bob Glover's book,

    or
    > anything you can find on the runningtimes.com website.
    >
    > The key is to gradually build up to a consistent schedule of daily

    running.

    > Regarding the bike -- go for it. Ride at will. Keep in mind that

    transfer from
    > cycling fitness to running fitness is limited (so running/walking

    should be
    > the primary goal) but the bike will help you lose weight.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Donovan Rebbechi

    The Runner's Handbook: The Best-Selling Classic Fitness Guide for
    Beginner and Intermediate Runners, by Bob Glover?

    It looks like it's gotten good reviews on Amazon, I'll see if I can
    find it at the local B&N tonight. I'll also check out the websites
    mentioned for beginner's programs.