Re: negative drag

Tom Sherman

Guest
Andrew Muzi wrote:

> I'll put some cash on a bet that anything you add to your bicycle's
> frontal area reduces speed for any given constant effort. Magic fans,
> ducts, rotors, ouija boards, windscreens and sails included. Name it.
> How's $100 sound to you??...

Not a good bet. For example, the Varna Diablo II [1] has more frontal
area with the fairing on than off. Yet, Sam Whittingham's reported top
speed on an unfaired lowracer similar to the Diablo chassis is in the
low 40 mph range, while he has gone a verified 81 mph on the faired
Diablo without the benefit of wind or gravity assist.

I know from experience this bicycle [2] is much faster with the front
fairing and sock, which I have to believe increases frontal area.

[1] <http://www.varnahandcycles.com/gallery/varna_diablo_01.jpg>.
[2] <http://www.ransbikes.com/Gallery/Archive/images/Sherman1.jpg>.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

"... and it has a fiberglass engine and it runs on water, man!"

Tim McNamara wrote:
> "... and it has a fiberglass engine and it runs on water, man!"

What are you talking about?