Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: New Habits/Road Safety

Started by David L. Johnson · · Last activity · 2 posts · 337 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
16 June 2005
Last activity
16 June 2005
Original author
David L. Johnson
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
337
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Robert S. Dean said:

    I decided to come back down the hill be a different route, and waited at
    the top for a clear space (it's the low traffic direction, and 6:15,
    after all), but didn't make it to the bottom before being overtaken by a
    car. The driver swung wide around me, which was OK, but crossed the
    double yellow centerline and nearly met an oncoming vehicle,

    Last time I checked a drivers' manual, a double yellow line means
    NO PASSING. You can't be responsible for someone else breaking the law to
    get around you, rather than wait until it is legal to pass, or at least
    until he can see that the road is clear.

    And, yes, take the lane. You are not obstructing traffic. You are part
    of traffic. Some traffic moves faster than others. If a driver can't
    abide waiting 5 seconds to safely pass a cyclist, tell him to go drive on
    the interstate where bikes are not allowed.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
    _`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
    (_)/ (_) |

  2. Sometimes I gesture to a motorist--no, not that gesture--with a
    palms-down motion that says, "slow down, wait a minute," to tell the
    driver that it's not safe to pass at that moment. It also lets them
    know that, as I am aware of their presence and desire to pass me, I
    will "cooperate" and move to the right as soon as it's safe. But I
    don't over-rely on this understanding. --Roy Zipris

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.