Re: New (sort of) here - is there a faq ??

Mark T

Guest
Donnie writtificated

> Used to be on here about a decade ago on and off, but since spraining my
> ankle, fathering a few kids, leaving a **** job, now working for myself
> etc ad nauseum, im getting a hankering for a bike again to get fit
> before im 40 and to encourage the kids (10 and 8) out on their bikes.

> 3. Should i just start a new thread i wonder looking for recommendations?

S'pose this thread'll do. You didn't mention budget, but the standard
advice is look to spend at least £200 for something half decent. If you're
going to be riding a lot then £300 or so is the sweet point. You might
want to raise that a bit if you're after a drop bar bike.

For road-only use the Specialized Sirrus range is excellent. Their Sirrus
Sport range is good if you want to do Sustrans type tracks as well (wider
tyres).

On 29 Jan 2008 00:48:16 GMT, Mark T
<pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Donnie writtificated
>
>> Used to be on here about a decade ago on and off, but since spraining my
>> ankle, fathering a few kids, leaving a **** job, now working for myself
>> etc ad nauseum, im getting a hankering for a bike again to get fit
>> before im 40 and to encourage the kids (10 and 8) out on their bikes.

>> 3. Should i just start a new thread i wonder looking for recommendations?

>S'pose this thread'll do. You didn't mention budget, but the standard
>advice is look to spend at least £200 for something half decent. If you're
>going to be riding a lot then £300 or so is the sweet point. You might
>want to raise that a bit if you're after a drop bar bike.
>
>For road-only use the Specialized Sirrus range is excellent. Their Sirrus
>Sport range is good if you want to do Sustrans type tracks as well (wider
>tyres).

A while back I had a look at a Sirrus. The wheel bearings had loads
of drag so I avoided them.

M.

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:45:51 -0000, Rob Morley <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Mark
>[email protected] says...
>
>> A while back I had a look at a Sirrus. The wheel bearings had loads
>> of drag so I avoided them.

I spun the wheels and they slowed down to a standstill very quickly. I
checked that there was nothing rubbing (e.g. brakes). On other bikes
the wheels rotated for a long time before stopping. I assumed
it was poor bearings. Otherwise I really liked the bike.

M.

"Mark" wrote
>>> A while back I had a look at a Sirrus. The wheel bearings had loads
>>> of drag so I avoided them.
>>>

> I spun the wheels and they slowed down to a standstill very quickly. I
> checked that there was nothing rubbing (e.g. brakes). On other bikes
> the wheels rotated for a long time before stopping. I assumed
> it was poor bearings. Otherwise I really liked the bike.

I've had mine for about 2 1/2 years and am still very happy with it for a
daily 25 mile commute. However, the original wheels weren't that great.
There was a dodgy batch of spokes which meant I had to get the back wheel
rebuilt after a few months and the bearings went after little over a year.

On 30 Jan, 11:11, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:45:51 -0000, Rob Morley <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>, Mark
> >[email protected] says...

> >> A while back I had a look at a Sirrus.  The wheel bearings had loads
> >> of drag so I avoided them.

> I spun the wheels and they slowed down to a standstill very quickly. I
> checked that there was nothing rubbing (e.g. brakes).  On other bikes
> the wheels rotated for a long time before stopping. I assumed
> it was poor bearings.  Otherwise I really liked the bike.
>
> M.

that sounds like a pair of cone spanners were needed to adjust the
bearings, a 2minute job usually done by the shop before you collect
the bike. They are often tight straight out of the box.
TerryJ

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 02:20:18 -0800 (PST), TerryJ <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 30 Jan, 11:11, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:45:51 -0000, Rob Morley <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <[email protected]>, Mark
>> >[email protected] says...

>> I spun the wheels and they slowed down to a standstill very quickly. I
>> checked that there was nothing rubbing (e.g. brakes).  On other bikes
>> the wheels rotated for a long time before stopping. I assumed
>> it was poor bearings.  Otherwise I really liked the bike.
>>
>> M.

>that sounds like a pair of cone spanners were needed to adjust the
>bearings, a 2minute job usually done by the shop before you collect
>the bike. They are often tight straight out of the box.
>TerryJ

The assistant was very unhelpful when I asked him about this issue and
did not inspire me with any confidence. If this issue really is not a
problem then I would consider buying a Sirrus (from a different shop).

M.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark
[email protected] says...

> I spun the wheels and they slowed down to a standstill very quickly. I
> checked that there was nothing rubbing (e.g. brakes). On other bikes
> the wheels rotated for a long time before stopping. I assumed
> it was poor bearings. Otherwise I really liked the bike.

I expect the bearings just needed adjustment - a lot of bikes on display
in shops haven't had a full PDI, and that sort of thing will be picked
up by any mechanic worth his salt.

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 04:12:12 -0000, Rob Morley <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Mark
>[email protected] says...
>
>> I spun the wheels and they slowed down to a standstill very quickly. I
>> checked that there was nothing rubbing (e.g. brakes). On other bikes
>> the wheels rotated for a long time before stopping. I assumed
>> it was poor bearings. Otherwise I really liked the bike.
>>

>I expect the bearings just needed adjustment - a lot of bikes on display
>in shops haven't had a full PDI, and that sort of thing will be picked
>up by any mechanic worth his salt.

It's a bit academic now since I won't use that shop again since they
were I had to argue with the manager for them to exchange a nearly new
faulty bike light! And then they only gave me a "demo" one!

M.

On 1 Feb 2008 11:20:28 GMT, Mark T
wrote:

>Mark writtificated
>
>> It's a bit academic now since I won't use that shop again since they
>> were I had to argue with the manager for them to exchange a nearly new
>> faulty bike light! And then they only gave me a "demo" one!

>Name and shame?

www.williams-cycles.com

M.