Re: new type of Unicycling....

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Radical Reed, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. Radical Reed

    Radical Reed Guest

    I was thinking while riding the other day, if street is pretty much
    trials and free style put together what would we get if we put freestyle
    and MUni together. I think that would be so cool. imagine seeing someone
    doing a uni spin of of a cliff or some north shore or some stand up
    wheel walking along a skinny i think it could be pretty neat I'd like
    to here some feedback on what you think about it:cool:

    --
    Radical Reed - my new Muni's called Fandango

    I'm trapped in a glass case of emotion
    - Ron Burgandy
    Radical Reed's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10427

  2. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    sounds like mountain street, really. street in non-urban settings. I
    suppose it could be cool, but I'm not so sure it would be a new style.

    --
    Fuego - A Cult of Unicyclists

    If u could've aborted president bush using medicinal marijuana grown by
    a gay guy with a feeding-tube who was on death row, wade u?
    -GILD

    "Get off my Property before you sue me!"
    -Morons everywhere.

    'OneWheelNinjaSquad' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/OneWheelNinjaSquad)
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  3. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    I think that'd be like natural trials, but not trials, street, so it'd
    be like natural street. which would be flippin' awesome. in one of the
    UNiVERsE movies, it has Dan Heaton riding some North Shore stuff and he
    goes off it and does a 360, it's pretty amazing.

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

    James Potter for president 2008

  4. Murde Mental

    Murde Mental Guest

    it's just riding show-offy on the muni trails... you know, when things
    get boring and you try to mix it up..

    I sometimes do back-revs off of drops on my muni 180s and 360s but not
    much more... it's just for the trip of it. I think it's still just muni.

    --
    Murde Mental - Unicycling Martyr

    I own Total_Uni's soul
    and yes this means I also own your soul Evan_Byrne.
    Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

  5. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    It doesn't sound dumb but it doesn't sound sick either. You guys have to
    leave more room in your polls.

    Combining Freestyle with MUni would be kind of like Street without the
    street. I guess you'd have to call it "Dirt."

    As a competition event it sounds like it would be harder to do, because
    you'd have to go to the places, rather than build a place in the venue
    where your spectators are.

    --
    johnfoss - More Moab Fun

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  6. Its street, really. Just plain street, but not in an urban setting, and
    with more......trees.:)

    I do that. Since I live out of town, just about the place I regularly
    ride street closeby is my yard, somtimes trails.

    --
    forrestunifreak - The buck stops here.

    *'Vote for me for prez!' (http://tinyurl.com/bn4aq)*

  7. onetrack

    onetrack Guest

    Justin Kohse rides like that. double shiftys off dirt kickers, tire grab
    gaps, huge drop shiftys.

    It's an awesome mix, cause when you miss a trick on dirt, you're fine
    (usually). miss a trick on pavement, and you're bleeding (more often
    than not). and, dirt tricks usually have more flow than street. they are
    used while you are in motion, whle some street tricks are done static.

    --
    onetrack - training wheel required

    "People over here have a dangerous habit of adding quotes to signature
    lines."
    -Klaas Bil

    What's so scary about evolution theory anyway?
    -Foss
    onetrack's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6374

  8. GILD

    GILD Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *I guess you'd have to call it "Dirt."*

    that's even funnier than 'Mountain Street'

    --
    GILD - Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

    if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
    'alice' (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?) 'roosevelt'
    (http://tinyurl.com/963jr) 'longworth' (http://tinyurl.com/78ybd)

    I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- 'william h mauldin'
    (http://www.johnconyers.com/)

    ...using nietzsche's metaphysics to escape from
    christianity...-'metro_tramp on the value of metaphysics'
    (http://tinyurl.com/4sjw6)-
    it's hard to be sure, and good to be paranoid...john childs on life on
    the internet
    'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

  9. S_Wallis

    S_Wallis Guest

  10. briguymaine

    briguymaine Guest

    It's the next logical step. It happened on snow a few years ago, kids
    from the halfpipe parks took their snowboards and skis and went into the
    backcountyr to build huge kickers. Now they are doing all of the same
    tricks that they used to do in controlled environment parks but off of
    natural cliffs, fallen trees, etc.

    I think you could still call it muni, maybe throw a freeride in front
    for a final name of: freeride muni. I already own a KH Freeride 24,
    maybe Kris beat us to the punch?!

    Before I watched One Tired Guy a few years back, it never occured to me
    that unicycles could be used to do anything more that transport street
    entertainers around. It's so fun to blow people's minds and watch the
    progression of the sport.

    --
    briguymaine - Visual Assault Commander

    Life is like a box of chocolates? I hate chocolate.
    'My blog is at www.munitard.com' (http://www.munitard.com)
    briguymaine's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9257

  11. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    When you think about it, Street (as in the competition event) is not
    really so much about the street, but about combining obstacles and
    interesting riding. Though a hard, flat, smooth area is required, I
    suppose it doesn't have to be paved to still do much of what one might
    do in a Street competition.

    That said, one wonders if the name "Street" (or Street Freestyle) isn't
    the most accurate? The one thing that always worries me about Street
    riding is the potential for riders to do it in places where they
    shouldn't. In other words, doing damage to public and private property.
    This will probably remain a problem whatever we call it, but it's true
    you can do the same style of riding in the woods as downtown.

    I remember watching Dan Heaton work out a 360 degree launch off a little
    jumpy thing on a hill in Santa Cruz in 1999. That was Dirt Street.

    --
    johnfoss - More Moab Fun

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  12. caw89

    caw89 Guest

  13. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

  14. TheoELind

    TheoELind Guest

    Catboy wrote:
    > *Contact unicycle rugby. *

    I've been pushing that in Denver for years now. A uni scrum would be
    awesome, see who has the best leg strenght (catboy's on my team). If
    you're interested, that makes 2. How about just smear the queer on uni?
    It would be easier to make rules for.

    --
    TheoELind - BnL

    Dave Lowell is my main man.
    TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

  15. GILD

    GILD Guest

    Catboy wrote:
    > *Contact unicycle rugby. *

    the way we're playing at the moment, we'll take all comers
    bring it on

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *When you think about it, Street (as in the competition event) is not
    > really so much about the street, but about combining obstacles and
    > interesting riding.*

    in my Xtreem Naivete, i'd always assumed the 'Street' in 'Street' to be
    indicative of the attitude more than the location...