Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Re. Newbie (copied from "Our Bore")

Started by Sorni · · Last activity · 1 post · 498 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
8 May 2006
Last activity
8 May 2006
Original author
Sorni
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
498
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Kris Osborn wrote (RBOR):

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I am new to mountain biking and I was wondering what Trek bike
    would be a good bike to start off on. I Have $400.00. I know that I
    could afford the Trek 4300. I wondered if the it a good bike for the
    money, is it a good bike for a beginner? Should I go with a different
    name brand, or should I save more money(if so what is a better Trek
    model)? what do you suggest?

    FYI, this newsgroup is all but dead. Try "Alt.mountain-bike" (added to this
    post).

    Best advice is to visit a number of "local bike shops" (LBSs) and test ride
    a number of models. Tell the salesperson what kind of riding you want to do
    and what your budget is, and go from there.

    For $400 or so, I'd advise getting a fully rigid bike, or MAYBE a "hardtail"
    (front suspension only). Stay away from "full suspension" in that price
    range -- it will be heavy and unreliable (IMO).

    And, of course, "buy the red one"

    Have fun shopping (AND riding),

    Bill S.

    (I messed up adding AM-B I think; sorry if this appears twice.)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.