Re: nice 1W luxeon LED headlamp

Chris Malcolm

Guest
[email protected] writes:

>i bought a Ring Cybalite Xtreme LED headlamp from millets the other
>day, and i'm impressed. Bright spot beam but appears bright from
>outside the spot too, good for being seen. I hadn't really been looking
>for a headlamp, and I feel a bit eccentric wearing it on the bike, but
>with the beam aimed at the ground it's handy to be able to nod upwards
>to get the attention of cars when necessary.
>It's regulated so no magic 50hr or whatever battery life, but full
>brightness for the 3 hrs claimed from 3AAs. Works fine with NiMHs.
>Battery gauge and dimmer settings for longer runtime, and flashing
>mode.

>Seems to be the same except colour as:
>http://www.pelican.com/headsup_lite/2630_headsup.html

>=A330, but 3 for 2 offer when I bought amongst a range of torches, swiss
>army knives etc.
>Shame you can't get regulated bike lights like this here.

Where's "here"? The Smart 1 watt luxeon bike light is regulated, runs
off 4AAs., and sells for 20-30 quid. I posted my impressions of mine a
while back under heading "Smart 1 watt LED front light". It's been
through a few hours of darkness since then, both in city streets and
unlit paths, and it continues to impress me. It's the best bike front
light I've ever owned, and the first one which hasn't quickly become
something to get by with until I find something better, not only in
terms of lighting, but in terms of being well-engineered to withstand
the pounding of being firmly attached to a bicycle.

There's also a Cateye 1 watt Luxeon, with less spread and a longer
beam.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Chris Malcolm wrote:

> Where's "here"? The Smart 1 watt luxeon bike light is regulated, runs
> off 4AAs., and sells for 20-30 quid. I posted my impressions of mine

> while back under heading "Smart 1 watt LED front light". It's been
> through a few hours of darkness since then, both in city streets and
> unlit paths, and it continues to impress me. It's the best bike front
> light I've ever owned, and the first one which hasn't quickly become
> something to get by with until I find something better, not only in
> terms of lighting, but in terms of being well-engineered to withstand
> the pounding of being firmly attached to a bicycle.

is this one regulated? I wondered, but haven't seen any claims that it
is. It would be nice if it is.

> There's also a Cateye 1 watt Luxeon, with less spread and a longer
> beam.

this isn't regulated, unless you can find a german model somewhere.

[email protected] wrote:
> Chris Malcolm wrote:
>

>>Where's "here"? The Smart 1 watt luxeon bike light is regulated, runs
>>off 4AAs., and sells for 20-30 quid. I posted my impressions of mine

>>while back under heading "Smart 1 watt LED front light". It's been
>>through a few hours of darkness since then, both in city streets and
>>unlit paths, and it continues to impress me. It's the best bike front
>>light I've ever owned, and the first one which hasn't quickly become
>>something to get by with until I find something better, not only in
>>terms of lighting, but in terms of being well-engineered to withstand
>>the pounding of being firmly attached to a bicycle.

> is this one regulated? I wondered, but haven't seen any claims that it
> is. It would be nice if it is.
>

>>There's also a Cateye 1 watt Luxeon, with less spread and a longer
>>beam.

> this isn't regulated, unless you can find a german model somewhere.

I'm afraid it's not, if you are referring to the on i think you are. See
my website http://www.ajjrice.plus.com for a review.

Alex