Re: No More Brush Passing of Pedalcyclists

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

Guest
Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> http://www.pioneerlocal.com/evanston/news/426993,ev-bicyclelaw-061407-s1.article
>
> Bike law awaits governor
>
> June 14, 2007
> By JOHN ROSZKOWSKI Staff Writer
>
> Dennis Mumm has painful memories of the day when he was knocked to the
> ground and injured while riding his bicycle along a roadway.
>
> In April 2003, Mumm was riding his bicycle down a hill when he was
> struck by a vehicle from behind and fell off of his bicycle onto the
> pavement. He suffered five broken ribs, a punctured lung and a
> concussion in the accident. It took him several months to recover from
> his injuries.
>
> Despite the accident, Mumm remains an avid cyclist and is glad to hear
> about new state legislation awaiting the governor's signature that
> would require motorists to give at least 3-foot clearance when passing
> a bicycle on the roadway.
>
> "I think it's something that's long overdue," Mumm said. "It better
> defines the rights of cyclists. I think it makes motorists more aware
> that they do have to share the road and give cyclists a portion of the
> road."
>
> The legislation, Senate Bill 80, easily passed both Houses of the
> Illinois General Assembly, and if signed into law by Gov. Rod
> Blagojevich, would take effect Jan. 1. Blagojevich spokesman Gerardo
> Cardenas said the governor's office is currently reviewing the
> legislation.
>
> State Rep. Elaine Nekritz, D-57th, of Northbrook, the chief sponsor of
> the bill in the House, sees it primarily as a safety issue to prevent
> cycling accidents and deaths. She said the previous state law has been
> somewhat vague, only requiring motorists to provide "a safe distance"
> when passing bicycles on the road.
>
> "This will give drivers a better sense of what a safe distance is when
> it's clear that it's 3 feet," said Nekritz. "Bicyclists are just like
> any other slow moving vehicles. It's the responsibility of the
> motorists to give them room."

I like this but it's probably unenforceable. How ya gonna prove it was 3
feet? Well - if the car hits the cyclist i guess that would prove it,
but otherwise who's to say.

>> "This will give drivers a better sense of what a safe distance is when
>> it's clear that it's 3 feet," said Nekritz. "Bicyclists are just like
>> any other slow moving vehicles. It's the responsibility of the
>> motorists to give them room."

> I like this but it's probably unenforceable. How ya gonna prove it was 3
> feet? Well - if the car hits the cyclist i guess that would prove it, but
> otherwise who's to say.

We had a chance on a law like that in Texas, but it was held up in
conference committee or something.
The point of the law is education. If Arizona gets out posters or news
releases or something to educate drivers that this safe passing distance is
the law now, more people will be aware that they need to be careful passing
cyclists too closely.

Pat in TX

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> http://www.pioneerlocal.com/evanston/news/426993,ev-bicyclelaw-061407-s1.article
>>
>> Bike law awaits governor
>>
>> June 14, 2007
>> By JOHN ROSZKOWSKI Staff Writer
>>
>> Dennis Mumm has painful memories of the day when he was knocked to the
>> ground and injured while riding his bicycle along a roadway.
>>
>> In April 2003, Mumm was riding his bicycle down a hill when he was
>> struck by a vehicle from behind and fell off of his bicycle onto the
>> pavement. He suffered five broken ribs, a punctured lung and a
>> concussion in the accident. It took him several months to recover from
>> his injuries.
>>
>> Despite the accident, Mumm remains an avid cyclist and is glad to hear
>> about new state legislation awaiting the governor's signature that
>> would require motorists to give at least 3-foot clearance when passing
>> a bicycle on the roadway.
>>
>> "I think it's something that's long overdue," Mumm said. "It better
>> defines the rights of cyclists. I think it makes motorists more aware
>> that they do have to share the road and give cyclists a portion of the
>> road."
>>
>> The legislation, Senate Bill 80, easily passed both Houses of the
>> Illinois General Assembly, and if signed into law by Gov. Rod
>> Blagojevich, would take effect Jan. 1. Blagojevich spokesman Gerardo
>> Cardenas said the governor's office is currently reviewing the
>> legislation.
>>
>> State Rep. Elaine Nekritz, D-57th, of Northbrook, the chief sponsor of
>> the bill in the House, sees it primarily as a safety issue to prevent
>> cycling accidents and deaths. She said the previous state law has been
>> somewhat vague, only requiring motorists to provide "a safe distance"
>> when passing bicycles on the road.
>>
>> "This will give drivers a better sense of what a safe distance is when
>> it's clear that it's 3 feet," said Nekritz. "Bicyclists are just like
>> any other slow moving vehicles. It's the responsibility of the
>> motorists to give them room."

> I like this but it's probably unenforceable. How ya gonna prove it was 3
> feet? Well - if the car hits the cyclist i guess that would prove it, but
> otherwise who's to say.

I live in Florida, which has the same law. When I was hit by a driver while
on my bike, the trooper wrote him up for "improper pass", because he had to
be closer than 3 feet to hit me.