Re: Non-invasive Pressure Gauge?

Eric

Guest
I don't think that's the case. When I inflate a tire, I see a dramatic
increase in pressure on the downstroke, then I usually hear/feel a
click, and the pressure stabilizes. I'm assuming that is the presta
valve opening to let the air in the tire. When the pressure is greater
on the tire side, it closes. That air rush is just left over air in the
pump.

Now, I think schrader valves are a little different, because the
inflator has a little pin that pushes the valve open. When you remove
the inflator, there is a lag that can let some air out. This is really
noticable with the screw-on inflators.

Eric

still a gauge that doesn;t use the valve would be cool.

wle.

wle wrote:
> still a gauge that doesn;t use the valve would be cool.
>
> wle.

What problem does that solve? Before every ride I check the tire
pressure by letting out some air, and inflate it to the desired
pressure. It is a routine, like putting on your cycling shoes and
filling your water bottles.
Checking the pressure with a gauge that doesn't use the stem, conclude
that the pressure is not OK and then inflate the tire with a pump with a
gauge sounds silly to me.
If you want to get used to this routine try latex tubes ;-)

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

it solves the problem of doing all that.

if the pressure is ok, why go through all that?

wle.

wle wrote:
> it solves the problem of doing all that.
>
> if the pressure is ok, why go through all that?
>
> wle.

Through all that? It costs 30 seconds.
Boy, you must be on a tied schedule.
I think the thumb method will be as accurate as an external and indirect
pressure gauge. And much cheaper.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

difference of opinion.

that is why i want the gadget and you are happy
with your routine.

wle.

Lou Holtman May 8, 1:08 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: Lou Holtman <[email protected]> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 19:08:13 +0200
Subject: Re: Non-invasive Pressure Gauge?
original | Report Abuse

wle wrote:
> it solves the problem of doing all that.

> if the pressure is ok, why go through all that?

> wle.

Maybe its just me, but my tires loose a bit of pressure everyday, so I
always have to add some air with the pump anyway. I don't think the
non-invasive pressure tester saves anything, and actually costs time. I
attach the pump and add air, you non-invasively check the pressure,
then attach the pump and add air--unless, of course, you are not
concerned with having your tires properly inflated and are willing to
ride with a pressure deficit that is within your tolerance, say
10-15lbs psi.