Re: Non-invasive Pressure Gauge?

Kenneth

Guest
On Sun, 08 May 2005 02:12:28 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The method you propose would measure
>that directly by squeezing the tire with a "calibrated thumb."

Howdy,

You bring back a pleasant memory...

Many years ago (around 1964) I was in Amsterdam and bought
my first bicycle with tubular tires.

The gentleman who made the frame was getting everything set
up when I asked him about tire pressures.

His English was excellent. As he held the compressor hose to
the valve he explained: "Just hold the tire like this, and
press with your thumb. When the pressure is right... stop!"

All the best,
--
Kenneth

On Sun, 08 May 2005 17:36:27 -0400, Kenneth
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 08 May 2005 02:12:28 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>The method you propose would measure
>>that directly by squeezing the tire with a "calibrated thumb."

>Howdy,
>
>You bring back a pleasant memory...
>
>Many years ago (around 1964) I was in Amsterdam and bought
>my first bicycle with tubular tires.
>
>The gentleman who made the frame was getting everything set
>up when I asked him about tire pressures.
>
>His English was excellent. As he held the compressor hose to
>the valve he explained: "Just hold the tire like this, and
>press with your thumb. When the pressure is right... stop!"
>
>All the best,

Dear Kenneth,

It would be interesting to have a few people try to judge
tire pressure by thumb test on their own road bikes after
the pressures were changed randomly by someone else at
10-psi increments between 60 and 120 psi.

The experiment might amuse someone who works at a local bike
shop with convenient access to a variety of riders.

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> It would be interesting to have a few people try to judge
> tire pressure by thumb test on their own road bikes after
> the pressures were changed randomly by someone else at
> 10-psi increments between 60 and 120 psi.
>
> The experiment might amuse someone who works at a local bike
> shop with convenient access to a variety of riders.

We do that frequently. And guess bike weight before hanging
it on a scale. And guess torque with a torque wrench in a
vise, the scale visible to all but the operator.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Sun, 08 May 2005 23:59:09 -0500, A Muzi
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >><[email protected]> wrote:
>>>Many years ago (around 1964) I was in Amsterdam and bought
>>>my first bicycle with tubular tires.
>>>
>>>The gentleman who made the frame was getting everything set
>>>up when I asked him about tire pressures.
>>>
>>>His English was excellent. As he held the compressor hose to
>>>the valve he explained: "Just hold the tire like this, and
>>>press with your thumb. When the pressure is right... stop!"

>[email protected] wrote:
>> It would be interesting to have a few people try to judge
>> tire pressure by thumb test on their own road bikes after
>> the pressures were changed randomly by someone else at
>> 10-psi increments between 60 and 120 psi.
>>
>> The experiment might amuse someone who works at a local bike
>> shop with convenient access to a variety of riders.

>We do that frequently. And guess bike weight before hanging
>it on a scale. And guess torque with a torque wrench in a
>vise, the scale visible to all but the operator.

Dear Andrew,

And the results?

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> And the results?

Humiliating on the bike weights. Some are very good, some
way off on torque. Experienced mechanics are almost s good
as a stick gauge for tire pressure.