Re: Northampton, buying etc

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony W, Jan 8, 2005.

  1. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "PJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > DNQs = Dumb Newbie Questions...
    >
    > I'm contemplating returning to vanilla, 'transport' cycling after a decade

    on
    > four wheels. For the sort of journeys I need to make, a bike is the only
    > practical and financially possible mode of transport (cars are too

    expensive,
    > public transport is crap and it's too far to walk).
    >
    > I have done some general web and Usenet Googling and downloaded a PDF of

    the
    > "Cycling Northampton," leaflet, which has answered most of my questions

    with
    > regard to the area. However...
    >
    > For the time being, my bike buying budget cannot exceed 100ukp. Preferably
    > less (heck - I'm slighty worried I can't even afford a bike! :) ). I'm

    tall,
    > and need the 'off-road' capabilities of a mountain bike (lots of muddy

    paths
    > to negotiate). Do I try and find something second-hand, or do I buy new?
    > Brands to look out for or avoid?
    >
    > My preference is to buy from a 'proper' cycle shop, staffed by courteous,
    > alert people who actually know what they're talking about. The leaflet

    lists
    > ten cycle shops in the Northampton area - any particular ones you'd
    > recommend?
    >
    > The leaflet also shows a fair number of 'cycle parking' sites around the

    town
    > centre - again, any particular ones you'd recommend, or suggest I avoid,
    > given that I'd quite like to find a space when I arrive, and my bike still
    > there when I return?

    Proper bike shops are

    Oakleys in Lutterworth Road (closed Saturdays and mind your language because
    they are some form of religious nutters -- but reasonably normal otherwise)

    Pitsford Cycles up at Pitsford Reservoir.

    Also OK but with less choice are

    Newlec Cycles in St James

    McGanns in Kingsthorpe (a basic Raleigh dealer)

    There is also a new Action Bikes in St Peter's Alley off Gold Street.

    However, in your price range I suggest the tip (either at Sixfields or Ecton
    Brook) -- seriously -- go on Saturday and lurk until something suitable is
    thrown out. They will ask a tenner for you to take it away.

    On cycle parking -- most in or near Abington Street seem OK. They have the
    advantage of being under the CCTV system (mind you, you cannot pick you nose
    in Northampton without Big Brother watching).

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tony W wrote:

    > However, in your price range I suggest the tip (either at Sixfields or Ecton
    > Brook) -- seriously -- go on Saturday and lurk until something suitable is
    > thrown out. They will ask a tenner for you to take it away.

    Another good option is find out when the police cycle auctions are.
    Round here they auction off all the recovered but unclaimed bikes on a
    regular basis and there are a lot of bikes in quite reasonable condition
    to choose from at bargain prices.

    Tony