Re: Novice Dies from Accident in "Beginner's" Mountain Biking Class!

BarryNL

Guest
Mike Vandeman wrote:
> Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:40:50 EDT
> Subject: Re: "Mountain biker dies from fall off cliff"
>
> In the "for what its worth" column....
>
> My friend Barry Fountain.....about 4 years ago was taking a "beginner's" course
> in mountain biking through a county program outside of Richmond, VA.
>
> By 11 am he had broken his neck when he hit a small tree root and went over the
> handlebars into a dry streambed. He was in his mid-40's and not a wildman by
> any stretch of the imagination.
>
> For four years he could not move anything below the neck as he lay in a nursing
> home bed in Roanoke, VA and battled bedsoars, fluid on the lungs, etc.
>
> Finally in year 4 he settled his personal injury suit and was able to afford to
> move from the nursing home into his own home in Richmond, VA.
>
> Within about two weeks he was dead....died last November, 2004.
>
> Point is....even the "easy" biking stuff can put you in a state worse than
> death, and then kill you.

On December 21st 1988 the people of Lockerbie were safely at home in
front of their televisions - when a 747 fell on them!

Point is... there is risk in absolutely everything - even sitting at
home watching TV, and if you're going to worry about it too much you are
going to have one really dull life.

"BarryNL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike Vandeman wrote:

<snip>

> > Point is....even the "easy" biking stuff can put you in a state worse

than
> > death, and then kill you.

> On December 21st 1988 the people of Lockerbie were safely at home in
> front of their televisions - when a 747 fell on them!
>
> Point is... there is risk in absolutely everything - even sitting at
> home watching TV, and if you're going to worry about it too much you are
> going to have one really dull life

Not only dull, but dark too if one is going to find a place where falling
airplanes won't get them.

On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:03:33 +0200, BarryNL <[email protected]> wrote:

..Mike Vandeman wrote:
..> Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:40:50 EDT
..> Subject: Re: "Mountain biker dies from fall off cliff"
..>
[...]
..
..On December 21st 1988 the people of Lockerbie were safely at home in
..front of their televisions - when a 747 fell on them!
..
..Point is... there is risk in absolutely everything - even sitting at
..home watching TV, and if you're going to worry about it too much you are
..going to have one really dull life.

Then I hope you have a VERY non-dull life! :)
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

"> .Point is... there is risk in absolutely everything - even sitting at
> .home watching TV, and if you're going to worry about it too much you are
> .going to have one really dull life.
>
> Then I hope you have a VERY non-dull life! :)

And there you resort to the same 'threats' you consistantly say are typical
mountain biker.

Now you have lost.

Tell me it isnt a threat, and you make all of your own posts saying the same
lies, agree its a threat, you just proved you are the same as 'all' mountain
bikers.

congratulations, I hope that corner you backed yourself into is cosy.