Re: NRR: Last gasp

MattB

Guest
Pete Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 22:09:35 -0700, "MattB" <[email protected]>
> blathered:
>
>> Glad you're making progress with the arm, but sorry it's so severe.
>> I've shattered my elbow and know the recovery process pretty well.
>> These kinds of things are usually all different but I could ski
>> moderate slopes with the bad arm in a sling and padded after ten
>> weeks. I didn't ride offroad for probably 16 weeks but could road
>> ride at about the 12 week point.

> Physically I could road ride now - hell, I WAS road riding 4 weeks ago
> when I had the cast on. Thing is, falling off before the bone is fully
> healed and breaking it again...well, it'd be embarrassing.
>
> I slipped over while running downhill 2 weeks ago and, without
> thinking, put out my hand to break the fall....Jesus, it was
> excruciating, ten times worse than the original break. The bone turned
> out to be OK, it was the tendons & muscles being forced to move
> further than they wanted to move just yet. The thought of coming off
> the bike at speed...*wince* no-o-oo I'll do what the doctor says and
> just leave it another few weeks....

Yeah, I've done the same thing. My solution was to immobilize the arm while
hiking and running because I just couldn't stop trying to use it in panic
situations. It's a whole new world of pain, isn't it? Makes all my other
aches and pains seem more manageable.

My other problem was when I'd occasionaly hit the tied-off end of the figure
eight wire on a door frame or something. It was like a super-funny bone
(wire figure-eights through the unla and is died of right on the point of my
elbow). I sure don't miss that hardware. They said removal was optional, but
after a year I saw it as manditory.

On the positive side, my arm is very functional now with little to no
trouble whatsoever. It's a good storm detector and an impressive scar. Hope
yours winds up the same (or better).

> This whole episode has been an intersting insight into what getting
> old is going to be like. And I don't like it.

Funny thing is, these are often thought of as growing old injuries, but I
did mine when I was 18. Maybe that was for the better because it really
change my outlook on self preservation. Not sure if I've done as good a job
at it as I'd hoped, but it could be worse (remember it can always be worse).

> Pete

Matt