Re: 'nuther Winter training question - opinions needed!

Arthur Harris

Guest
"Retro Bob" wrote:
> Trainer or rollers ? Obviously both are ideal, but space and hassle
> may limit me to one.
>
> If you had to choose one - which and why ?

If you're goal is primarily to maintain fitness, go with a trainer. You can
get a harder workout, and not worry about falling. Rollers may be less
boring and may improve your spin and balance, but for pure fitness a trainer
is best.

Art Harris

"Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Retro Bob" wrote:
> > Trainer or rollers ? Obviously both are ideal, but space and

hassle
> > may limit me to one.
> >
> > If you had to choose one - which and why ?

> If you're goal is primarily to maintain fitness, go with a

trainer. You can
> get a harder workout, and not worry about falling. Rollers may

be less
> boring and may improve your spin and balance, but for pure

fitness a trainer
> is best.

I do not think the line is so bright, especially with small
diameter rollers or fan or mag-loaded rollers. I think it is
fair to say, however, that you cannot get the same low cadence,
stiff resistance type work out with rollers that you can get with
a trainer. Although I can ride out of the saddle on rollers, it
is sketchy and certainly not like hammering on a bike fixed in a
trainer. If I were to buy only one trainer, I would go with fan
or mag-loaded rollers. I have a 20 year old set of cheap-o Tackx
rollers with fans that are still going strong (after I popped in
some new cartridge bearings). I ride a fixed gear, and if the
load feels too stiff on a particular day, I disconnect one of the
fans. -- Jay Beattie.

Art,
What about rollers w/ the fan uunit that blows back on the rider to
help keep him cool. Doesn't the fan add enough resistance to up the
workout ante? John