Re: Obesity Researcher Comes Up With New Diet

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Carol Frilegh, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. In article <[email protected]>, Diana Duvall
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Obesity Researcher Comes Up With New Diet
    >
    > By KARREN MILLS
    > Associated Press Writer
    >
    > December 10, 2004, 7:22 AM EST
    >
    > MINNEAPOLIS -- Florida's got the South Beach diet. Now Minnesota's got the
    > "Northwoods Diet." That's what University of Minnesota professor David
    > Bernlohr came up with as the solution when he noticed his waistline
    > expanding. After all, he's an obesity researcher.
    >
    > Bernlohr said he'd fallen into the traditional American habits of skipping
    > breakfast, eating too much and eating too late at night.
    >
    > So he put himself on his own diet -- what he jokingly dubbed the
    > "Northwoods Diet," poking fun at the fad diet industry and the popular
    > South Beach diet.
    >
    > "I said if the beautiful people in South Florida can have South Beach, the
    > hardworking people of Minnesota can have Northwoods," the professor said.
    >
    > His eating plan: Three meals a day with smaller portions and no food after
    > 7:30 p.m. He starts with a carbohydrate-heavy breakfast such as cold cereal
    > or oatmeal. He said the carbs stimulate production of insulin, a hormone
    > that helps cells convert blood sugar to energy.
    >
    > Lunch is a transitional meal with both carbs and protein, often pizza.
    > Dinner is heavier on protein, including meat, vegetables and salads.
    >
    > His rule against eating later in the evening adds to the time the body is
    > naturally fasting -- when he's sleeping. As for exercise, he said, he
    > didn't change his normal pattern. He's always walked a lot.
    >
    > The approach "is just common sense to people who study nutrition or
    > metabolism," said Bernlohr, who heads the university's department of
    > biochemistry, molecular biology and biophysics and leads a research team at
    > the Minnesota Obesity Center.
    >
    > Bernlohr said he's lost 40 pounds over the last year and he looks trim. But
    > he declines to disclose his weight, and says he's a little chagrined that
    > his diet has attracted media attention.
    >
    > "This is not a scientific study. It's simply a catchy name," he said,
    > adding that the principles he's following aren't new.
    >
    > It may not be new information, but people apparently aren't paying
    > attention to what already is known about good diet habits.
    >
    > The federal government estimates about 65 percent of the adults in the
    > United States -- nearly 119 million people -- are overweight or obese,
    > which can lead to major health problems.
    >
    > The key to losing weight and staying trim?
    >
    > "Don't put as much on your plate. Park as far away from the mall as you
    > can, not as close as you can. Walk more. Exercise more," Bernlohr said.

    Nice for Paul Bunyan but I'll pass and opt for "The French Connection
    Diet" which is what I call my somewhat balanced plan that includes a
    few high fat treats like Liver pate and homemade cheesecake which uses
    Farmer's Cheese and is not too high in fat.

    I go for a decent breakfast. It usually includes one egg, light lunch,
    often a sald with goodies added, everything from chicken to pears to
    nuts- moderate dinner and I mess with a few in betweens.

    --
    Mme. Diva, reformed diet-aholic
    *****