Re: Obesity Researcher Comes Up With New Diet

Carol Frilegh

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, Diana Duvall
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Obesity Researcher Comes Up With New Diet
>
> By KARREN MILLS
> Associated Press Writer
>
> December 10, 2004, 7:22 AM EST
>
> MINNEAPOLIS -- Florida's got the South Beach diet. Now Minnesota's got the
> "Northwoods Diet." That's what University of Minnesota professor David
> Bernlohr came up with as the solution when he noticed his waistline
> expanding. After all, he's an obesity researcher.
>
> Bernlohr said he'd fallen into the traditional American habits of skipping
> breakfast, eating too much and eating too late at night.
>
> So he put himself on his own diet -- what he jokingly dubbed the
> "Northwoods Diet," poking fun at the fad diet industry and the popular
> South Beach diet.
>
> "I said if the beautiful people in South Florida can have South Beach, the
> hardworking people of Minnesota can have Northwoods," the professor said.
>
> His eating plan: Three meals a day with smaller portions and no food after
> 7:30 p.m. He starts with a carbohydrate-heavy breakfast such as cold cereal
> or oatmeal. He said the carbs stimulate production of insulin, a hormone
> that helps cells convert blood sugar to energy.
>
> Lunch is a transitional meal with both carbs and protein, often pizza.
> Dinner is heavier on protein, including meat, vegetables and salads.
>
> His rule against eating later in the evening adds to the time the body is
> naturally fasting -- when he's sleeping. As for exercise, he said, he
> didn't change his normal pattern. He's always walked a lot.
>
> The approach "is just common sense to people who study nutrition or
> metabolism," said Bernlohr, who heads the university's department of
> biochemistry, molecular biology and biophysics and leads a research team at
> the Minnesota Obesity Center.
>
> Bernlohr said he's lost 40 pounds over the last year and he looks trim. But
> he declines to disclose his weight, and says he's a little chagrined that
> his diet has attracted media attention.
>
> "This is not a scientific study. It's simply a catchy name," he said,
> adding that the principles he's following aren't new.
>
> It may not be new information, but people apparently aren't paying
> attention to what already is known about good diet habits.
>
> The federal government estimates about 65 percent of the adults in the
> United States -- nearly 119 million people -- are overweight or obese,
> which can lead to major health problems.
>
> The key to losing weight and staying trim?
>
> "Don't put as much on your plate. Park as far away from the mall as you
> can, not as close as you can. Walk more. Exercise more," Bernlohr said.

Nice for Paul Bunyan but I'll pass and opt for "The French Connection
Diet" which is what I call my somewhat balanced plan that includes a
few high fat treats like Liver pate and homemade cheesecake which uses
Farmer's Cheese and is not too high in fat.

I go for a decent breakfast. It usually includes one egg, light lunch,
often a sald with goodies added, everything from chicken to pears to
nuts- moderate dinner and I mess with a few in betweens.

--
Mme. Diva, reformed diet-aholic
*****