Road Cycling · Public discussion

Re: Obree and the Hour

Started by Rasputin · · Last activity · 3 posts · 907 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
5 April 2004
Last activity
5 April 2004
Original author
Rasputin
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
907
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Did anyone hear how he did?

    Steve McGinty <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/12006.html

    "GRAEME Obree, the former world champion cyclist whose battle with
    mental illness put the brakes on his career, is to make a comeback.
    The 38-year-old Scot hopes to break the world hour distance record at
    a practice run at the Manchester Velodrome on Sunday, April 4"

    Elsewhere he's said he's going to use 60x12 in the attempt!

    Regards!
    Stephen

  2. in article [email hidden], Rasputin at
    [email hidden] wrote on 4/4/04 10:46 PM:

    Quoted message said:

    Did anyone hear how he did?

    from Cyclingnews yesterday:

    Obree ready for first test

    Graeme Obree of Scotland is preparing for his first serious test at the
    Manchester, England velodrome in advance of his attempt to reclaim the world
    hour record, currently held by England's Chris Boardman. Obree has not set a
    date for his record attempt but Sunday will provide an indicator of his
    condition.

    "If the test goes well, I plan to attack the world record fairly quickly,"
    Obree said. "Boardman's distance [49.441 km] won't be easy to beat, but I'm
    hopeful. I've followed a very strict training plan and even if I'm two kilos
    heavier than I was in 1993, it's two kilos of muscle."

    Chris Boardman set the current hour record on October 27, 2000, following
    UCI regulations requiring a standard bicycle frame. Obree himself had made
    his mark in cycling by developing new aerodynamic positions, including his
    famed 'superman' position.

  3. Speeking of the hour record, i'm pretty sure Ludo can beat it. And if
    nobody tells him the hour is over he'll ride for a few hours extra.

    "Sonarrat" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    in article [email hidden], Rasputin


    at

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote on 4/4/04 10:46 PM:

    Quoted message said:

    Did anyone hear how he did?

    from Cyclingnews yesterday:

    Obree ready for first test

    Graeme Obree of Scotland is preparing for his first serious test at


    the

    Quoted message said:

    Manchester, England velodrome in advance of his attempt to reclaim


    the world

    Quoted message said:

    hour record, currently held by England's Chris Boardman. Obree has


    not set a

    Quoted message said:

    date for his record attempt but Sunday will provide an indicator of


    his

    Quoted message said:

    condition.

    "If the test goes well, I plan to attack the world record fairly


    quickly,"

    Quoted message said:

    Obree said. "Boardman's distance [49.441 km] won't be easy to beat,


    but I'm

    Quoted message said:

    hopeful. I've followed a very strict training plan and even if I'm


    two kilos

    Quoted message said:

    heavier than I was in 1993, it's two kilos of muscle."

    Chris Boardman set the current hour record on October 27, 2000,


    following

    Quoted message said:

    UCI regulations requiring a standard bicycle frame. Obree himself


    had made

    Quoted message said:

    his mark in cycling by developing new aerodynamic positions,


    including his

    Quoted message said:

    famed 'superman' position.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.