Re: of the moon and the marathon

steve common

>Having the run occur in August "makes it a little more plausible that he
>keeled over and died," said physics lecturer Russell Doescher.

Despite the fact that the run never happened, it is indeed "a little
more plausible" than before :->

steve common wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>

>>Having the run occur in August "makes it a little more plausible that he
>>keeled over and died," said physics lecturer Russell Doescher.

> Despite the fact that the run never happened, it is indeed "a little
> more plausible" than before :->

I was thinking the same thing. Natural History had an article on the
original Olympics recently, but no comment was made in there about it.
Of course, the original Olympics started before then.

It's somewhat ironic that the Spartathlon route is apparently
sufficiently well documented (or passed down in legend) that they try to
run the original route - or I should say half the route, since they
alternate directions each year.

Why has the marathon, whose occurrence in history is questioned, become
so popular while the Spartathlon is run by only a few? (rhetorical)

Dot

--
"Success is different things to different people"
-Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote:
> Why has the marathon, whose occurrence in history is questioned, become
> so popular while the Spartathlon is run by only a few? (rhetorical)

VHS vs. Betamax? :)

[email protected] wrote:
> Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote:
>
>>Why has the marathon, whose occurrence in history is questioned, become
>>so popular while the Spartathlon is run by only a few? (rhetorical)

> VHS vs. Betamax? :)

LOL!

One dark day on Usenet, [email protected] said
news:[email protected]:

> Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote:
>> Why has the marathon, whose occurrence in history is questioned, become
>> so popular while the Spartathlon is run by only a few? (rhetorical)

> VHS vs. Betamax? :)

I still have my Beta. It's been going strong for 21 years. In the mean
time, I've replaced my VHS at least 5 times.

Phil M.

--
If you can empty your own boat
Crossing the river of the world,

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> One dark day on Usenet, [email protected] said
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Dot <dot.h@#att.net> wrote:
> >> Why has the marathon, whose occurrence in history is questioned, become
> >> so popular while the Spartathlon is run by only a few? (rhetorical)

> > VHS vs. Betamax? :)

> I still have my Beta. It's been going strong for 21 years. In the mean
> time, I've replaced my VHS at least 5 times.

But you can't rent/buy new Beta movies. I think that is the point.

One dark day on Usenet, "\"El Paisano\"" <[email protected]>
said news:[email protected]:

> "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> One dark day on Usenet, [email protected] said
>> news:[email protected]:

>> > VHS vs. Betamax? :)

>> I still have my Beta. It's been going strong for 21 years. In the
>> mean time, I've replaced my VHS at least 5 times.
>>

> But you can't rent/buy new Beta movies. I think that is the point.

I just use it to record.

Phil M.

--
If you can empty your own boat
Crossing the river of the world,
No one will oppose you,
No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

"Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote
> I still have my Beta. It's been going strong for 21 years. In the mean
> time, I've replaced my VHS at least 5 times.

But Phil, that longevity might have something to do with the fact that
there's nothing to play on your Beta : ) !

Brian Jones

One dark day on Usenet, "Brian Jones" <[email protected]> said
news:[email protected]:

> "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote
>> I still have my Beta. It's been going strong for 21 years. In the mean
>> time, I've replaced my VHS at least 5 times.
>>

> But Phil, that longevity might have something to do with the fact that
> there's nothing to play on your Beta : ) !

I've got plenty to play on my Beta. Something like 250 tapes, with about a
hundred more blanks ready. It gets more usage than the VHS. The only time I
use VHS is when I can't rent the DVD version.

Phil M.

--
If you can empty your own boat
Crossing the river of the world,
No one will oppose you,
No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

<< The only time I use VHS is when I can't rent the DVD version. >>

what does DVD stand for?

\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
+------------------------Oooo----+
oooO ( )
( ) ) /
\ ( (_

One dark day on Usenet, [email protected]entary (Virginiaz) said
news:[email protected]:

> << The only time I use VHS is when I can't rent the DVD version. >>
>
> what does DVD stand for?

OK, I'll play the straight man.

Gee, I don't know. What does DVD stand for? ;-)

Phil M.