Re: of the moon and the marathon

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by steve common, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. steve common

    steve common Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >Having the run occur in August "makes it a little more plausible that he
    >keeled over and died," said physics lecturer Russell Doescher.

    Despite the fact that the run never happened, it is indeed "a little
    more plausible" than before :->

    Tags:

  2. Dot

    Dot Guest

    steve common wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >

    >>Having the run occur in August "makes it a little more plausible that he
    >>keeled over and died," said physics lecturer Russell Doescher.

    > Despite the fact that the run never happened, it is indeed "a little
    > more plausible" than before :->

    I was thinking the same thing. Natural History had an article on the
    original Olympics recently, but no comment was made in there about it.
    Of course, the original Olympics started before then.

    It's somewhat ironic that the Spartathlon route is apparently
    sufficiently well documented (or passed down in legend) that they try to
    run the original route - or I should say half the route, since they
    alternate directions each year.

    Why has the marathon, whose occurrence in history is questioned, become
    so popular while the Spartathlon is run by only a few? (rhetorical)

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  3. Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote:
    > Why has the marathon, whose occurrence in history is questioned, become
    > so popular while the Spartathlon is run by only a few? (rhetorical)

    VHS vs. Betamax? :)

  4. Dot

    Dot Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Why has the marathon, whose occurrence in history is questioned, become
    >>so popular while the Spartathlon is run by only a few? (rhetorical)

    > VHS vs. Betamax? :)

    LOL!

  5. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    One dark day on Usenet, [email protected] said
    news:[email protected]:

    > Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote:
    >> Why has the marathon, whose occurrence in history is questioned, become
    >> so popular while the Spartathlon is run by only a few? (rhetorical)

    > VHS vs. Betamax? :)

    I still have my Beta. It's been going strong for 21 years. In the mean
    time, I've replaced my VHS at least 5 times.

    Phil M.

    --
    If you can empty your own boat
    Crossing the river of the world,

  6. \El Paisano\

    \El Paisano\ Guest

    "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > One dark day on Usenet, [email protected] said
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > Dot <[email protected]#att.net> wrote:
    > >> Why has the marathon, whose occurrence in history is questioned, become
    > >> so popular while the Spartathlon is run by only a few? (rhetorical)

    > > VHS vs. Betamax? :)

    > I still have my Beta. It's been going strong for 21 years. In the mean
    > time, I've replaced my VHS at least 5 times.

    But you can't rent/buy new Beta movies. I think that is the point.

  7. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    One dark day on Usenet, "\"El Paisano\"" <[email protected]>
    said news:[email protected]:

    > "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> One dark day on Usenet, [email protected] said
    >> news:[email protected]:

    >> > VHS vs. Betamax? :)

    >> I still have my Beta. It's been going strong for 21 years. In the
    >> mean time, I've replaced my VHS at least 5 times.
    >>

    > But you can't rent/buy new Beta movies. I think that is the point.

    I just use it to record.

    Phil M.

    --
    If you can empty your own boat
    Crossing the river of the world,
    No one will oppose you,
    No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

  8. Brian Jones

    Brian Jones Guest

    "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote
    > I still have my Beta. It's been going strong for 21 years. In the mean
    > time, I've replaced my VHS at least 5 times.

    But Phil, that longevity might have something to do with the fact that
    there's nothing to play on your Beta : ) !

    Brian Jones

  9. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    One dark day on Usenet, "Brian Jones" <[email protected]> said
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Phil M." <[email protected]> wrote
    >> I still have my Beta. It's been going strong for 21 years. In the mean
    >> time, I've replaced my VHS at least 5 times.
    >>

    > But Phil, that longevity might have something to do with the fact that
    > there's nothing to play on your Beta : ) !

    I've got plenty to play on my Beta. Something like 250 tapes, with about a
    hundred more blanks ready. It gets more usage than the VHS. The only time I
    use VHS is when I can't rent the DVD version.

    Phil M.

    --
    If you can empty your own boat
    Crossing the river of the world,
    No one will oppose you,
    No one will seek to harm you. -Chuang Tzu

  10. Virginiaz

    Virginiaz Guest

    << The only time I use VHS is when I can't rent the DVD version. >>

    what does DVD stand for?

    \\ - - //
    ( @ @ )
    +--------oOOo-(_)--oOOo----+
    +------------------------Oooo----+
    oooO ( )
    ( ) ) /
    \ ( (_

  11. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    One dark day on Usenet, [email protected]entary (Virginiaz) said
    news:[email protected]:

    > << The only time I use VHS is when I can't rent the DVD version. >>
    >
    > what does DVD stand for?

    OK, I'll play the straight man.

    Gee, I don't know. What does DVD stand for? ;-)

    Phil M.