Re: Off-Road cycling groups near Reading, UK

Michael MacClancy

Guest
On 19 Feb 2005 14:00:15 -0800, Rammie wrote:

> Are there any off-road / trail cycling groups in the Reading, UK area?
> A small group (4 - 8) of us already do regular Sunday routes, and
> would like to join up with some other groups. Are there any out
> there? Or are there any people who would like to join us.
>
> We are not particularly fit. We do 20 - 30 miles every other Sunday,
> followed by a pub lunch. We even do the occassional weekend venture
> to proper hills / mountains.
>
> Any takers?

Reading CTC has an off-road section:

http://www.readingctc.co.uk/

I would have thought The Lookout, south of Bracknell, would be a good place
to meet fellow off-roaders. There are always plenty there on the weekend
and summer evenings.

There's this lot, too:

http://www.ratmbc.co.uk/

And this might be of interest as well:

http://www.gorrick.com/index.html

Have fun!

PS X-posted to uk.rec.cycling

--
Michael MacClancy

Michael MacClancy wrote:
> On 19 Feb 2005 14:00:15 -0800, Rammie wrote:
>

>>Are there any off-road / trail cycling groups in the Reading, UK area?
>> A small group (4 - 8) of us already do regular Sunday routes, and
>>would like to join up with some other groups. Are there any out
>>there? Or are there any people who would like to join us.
>>
>>We are not particularly fit. We do 20 - 30 miles every other Sunday,
>>followed by a pub lunch. We even do the occassional weekend venture
>>to proper hills / mountains.
>>
>>Any takers?

> Reading CTC has an off-road section:
>
> http://www.readingctc.co.uk/
>
> I would have thought The Lookout, south of Bracknell, would be a good place
> to meet fellow off-roaders. There are always plenty there on the weekend
> and summer evenings.
>
> There's this lot, too:
>
> http://www.ratmbc.co.uk/
>
> And this might be of interest as well:
>
> http://www.gorrick.com/index.html
>
> Have fun!
>
> PS X-posted to uk.rec.cycling

My daughter goes MTBing with a group of people from AWE at Reading on
Saturdays and Sundays. Not sure where they ride to/from, but they are
about 5hr rides, some easy/medium pace others hard pace. I can find
more info if you want to email me

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:25:41 +0000, Michael MacClancy
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>Reading CTC has an off-road section:
>http://www.readingctc.co.uk/

And Sue White who's around here [uk.rec.cycling] someplace rides with
them. Nice people, see http://www.readingctc.co.uk. Meeting place is
the fountain by Caversham Bridge, behind the Holiday Inn. Look for
Alan Furley's memorial bench.

Rides on Wednesday evenings during BST and every Sunday, unless it's
changed recently.

>I would have thought The Lookout, south of Bracknell, would be a good place
>to meet fellow off-roaders. There are always plenty there on the weekend
>and summer evenings.

Fun for all the family, plenty of easy trails and some more
challenging singletrack, but not quite the Welsh mountains ;-) A
reasonable coffee shop, too. You have to pay a permit fee for your
bike, the day pass is not cheap (can't remember exactly) but if you go
a lot the annual pass is much better value.

>There's this lot, too:
>http://www.ratmbc.co.uk/

I often see the Ratz out and about. They ride up near Checkendon and
around South Oxfordshire.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs