Re: Old Bike Worth Restoring - Peugeot Orient Express

Werehatrack

Guest
On Mon, 16 May 2005 15:17:34 -0800, "Home User" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I've decided to start riding again, after over a ten year hiatus (I've been
>a couch potato). I have an old Peugeot Orient Express, a mountain bike I
>purchased in the mid-80's. I haven't ridden on it over 10 years, but if I
>knock the dirt and dust off it, I think it will be good to go. Honestly, do
>you think it is worth restoring? If so, what would be some suggestions on
>improvements/upgrades?

Assuming that it hasn't been stored outside in the rain, I'd just swap
out the tires and tubes if they show any sign of deterioration,
replace the brake pads if they're at all hardened[1], clean and
regrease the hub bearings (and bottom bracket bearings if it's not a
sealed unit), lube the chain, and go. After a few weeks back in the
saddle, you will have a better idea of whether you really want and/or
need to upgrade anything.

That's just my rupee's worth. YMMV.

[1] If the brake pads don't feel like they've turned into rocks
aftter 10 years of sitting around, I'd be *very* surprised. Since
this is one of the two wear-and-age-deterioration-related components
that can cause the most grief if it fails at the wrong time, I think
I'd replace them just on general principles.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.