Re: Old spokes : fragile or "pre-stressed"

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Zog The Undeniable, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. - Bob - wrote:

    > I'm going to swapping rims on a set of wheels. Assuming the 30 year
    > old spokes will fit (likely since they are similar tubular rims)
    > would you use them ? Should they be considered brittle, or just
    > "pre-stretched" and likely to stay in tune ?

    Pre-stretched, but I wouldn't personally re-use galvanised spokes. IME
    they do start snapping with age, and they look horrible after a year on
    the bike anyway.

    Tags:

  2. Trevor

    Trevor Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >- Bob - wrote:
    >
    >> I'm going to swapping rims on a set of wheels. Assuming the 30 year
    >> old spokes will fit (likely since they are similar tubular rims)
    >> would you use them ? Should they be considered brittle, or just
    >> "pre-stretched" and likely to stay in tune ?

    >Pre-stretched, but I wouldn't personally re-use galvanised spokes. IME
    >they do start snapping with age, and they look horrible after a year on
    >the bike anyway.

    Fit properly and polish them.

    Trevor

  3. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "Trevor" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Zog The Undeniable wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >>- Bob - wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm going to swapping rims on a set of wheels. Assuming the 30
    >>> year old spokes will fit (likely since they are similar tubular
    >>> rims) would you use them ? Should they be considered brittle, or
    >>> just "pre-stretched" and likely to stay in tune ?

    >>Pre-stretched, but I wouldn't personally re-use galvanised spokes.
    >>IME they do start snapping with age, and they look horrible after a
    >>year on the bike anyway.

    > Fit properly and polish them.

    Old spokes are fine, but they do take a set when built up into a wheel
    and have to be re-used in the same relative position (heads out or
    heads in).