Re: Old spokes : fragile or "pre-stressed"

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
- Bob - wrote:

> I'm going to swapping rims on a set of wheels. Assuming the 30 year
> old spokes will fit (likely since they are similar tubular rims)
> would you use them ? Should they be considered brittle, or just
> "pre-stretched" and likely to stay in tune ?

Pre-stretched, but I wouldn't personally re-use galvanised spokes. IME
they do start snapping with age, and they look horrible after a year on
the bike anyway.

Zog The Undeniable wrote in message <41337309.0@entanet>...
>- Bob - wrote:
>
>> I'm going to swapping rims on a set of wheels. Assuming the 30 year
>> old spokes will fit (likely since they are similar tubular rims)
>> would you use them ? Should they be considered brittle, or just
>> "pre-stretched" and likely to stay in tune ?

>Pre-stretched, but I wouldn't personally re-use galvanised spokes. IME
>they do start snapping with age, and they look horrible after a year on
>the bike anyway.

Fit properly and polish them.

Trevor

"Trevor" <[email protected]> writes:

> Zog The Undeniable wrote in message <41337309.0@entanet>...
>>- Bob - wrote:
>>
>>> I'm going to swapping rims on a set of wheels. Assuming the 30
>>> year old spokes will fit (likely since they are similar tubular
>>> rims) would you use them ? Should they be considered brittle, or
>>> just "pre-stretched" and likely to stay in tune ?

>>Pre-stretched, but I wouldn't personally re-use galvanised spokes.
>>IME they do start snapping with age, and they look horrible after a
>>year on the bike anyway.

> Fit properly and polish them.

Old spokes are fine, but they do take a set when built up into a wheel
and have to be re-used in the same relative position (heads out or
heads in).