Re: Old style water bottles

Werehatrack

Guest
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:26:48 GMT, Retro Bob <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm looking for some "old style" 16 ounce/1 liter water bottles. I
>don't need insulation, I don't need 25+ ounces, I don't need a spray
>unit designed by NASA, ... just a supply of straight sided 16oz
>plastic-ish bottles with the old style top that used to be so
>common. A cheap price would be nice, I like to keep a bunch in
>stock so I don't have to wash them everyday.
>
>All I can find now are newer phallically inspired oversize modern
>designs that are way too large for my old layout frame. Any
>pointers ?
>
>Bob (Ah... to be so retro... it's such a burden)

I've found that the sports caps on several of the disposable bottled
water containers will fit a 16 or 20 ounce shorty plastic soda bottle,
so I've collected a supply of those caps and bottles and run them
through the dishwasher to reuse. (Of course, I peel the labels off as
well.) I've also found that if they're filled with water to a point
about an inch and a half below the neck, they can be frozen (with the
cap off, standing upright) without getting distorted. A bottle of ice
is a nice thing to start a ride with on a hot day. Best of all, by
doing a little scrounging, all of these have been gratis!

One word of advice; when running soda bottles through the dishwasher,
don't use the "hot dry" feature; most of these bottles can't stand
that much heat. Since there's not a lot of cost involved, though,
there's not a lot of risk in trying a hot dry on a few to see if your
dishwasher will succeed where mine fails.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.