Re: Oldtimer asks, Is this place still alive?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by W. Bacon, Dec 26, 2005.

  1. W. Bacon

    W. Bacon Guest

    Short answer: No.

    Private, moderated boards have supplanted many (but not all)
    newsgroups, this one included.

    The bright people are still posting, and fascinating conversations are
    happening...elsewhere.

    Tags:

  2. "W. Bacon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Short answer: No.
    >
    > Private, moderated boards have supplanted many (but not all)
    > newsgroups, this one included.
    >
    > The bright people are still posting, and fascinating conversations are
    > happening...elsewhere.

    And there are marshmallow's for toasting and carolers out in the snow.
    The'll be scary ghost stories and tales of the glories of newsgroups long
    long ago!

  3. JMW

    JMW Guest

    "W. Bacon" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Short answer: No.
    >
    >Private, moderated boards have supplanted many (but not all)
    >newsgroups, this one included.
    >
    >The bright people are still posting, and fascinating conversations are
    >happening...elsewhere.

    Maybe for people like Dan, whose primary interest is celebrity gossip.

  4. W. Bacon

    W. Bacon Guest

    JMW wrote:
    > "W. Bacon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Short answer: No.
    > >
    > >Private, moderated boards have supplanted many (but not all)
    > >newsgroups, this one included.
    > >
    > >The bright people are still posting, and fascinating conversations are
    > >happening...elsewhere.

    > Maybe for people like Dan, whose primary interest is celebrity gossip.<<

    Actually, alt.showbiz.gossip and alt.gossip.celebrities are doing very
    well, despite the advent of private sites like defamer.com and
    perezhilton.com.

    But almost all of the interesting discussions of training, supplements,
    drugs and so on now happen elsewhere. Oddly enough, one of my fave
    boards is one I discovered when JMW suggested I check it out...

    Thanks, btw;)

  5. JMW

    JMW Guest

    "W. Bacon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >JMW wrote:
    >> "W. Bacon" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Short answer: No.
    >> >
    >> >Private, moderated boards have supplanted many (but not all)
    >> >newsgroups, this one included.
    >> >
    >> >The bright people are still posting, and fascinating conversations are
    >> >happening...elsewhere.

    >> Maybe for people like Dan, whose primary interest is celebrity gossip.<<

    >Actually, alt.showbiz.gossip and alt.gossip.celebrities are doing very
    >well, despite the advent of private sites like defamer.com and
    >perezhilton.com.
    >
    >But almost all of the interesting discussions of training, supplements,
    >drugs and so on now happen elsewhere. Oddly enough, one of my fave
    >boards is one I discovered when JMW suggested I check it out...
    >
    >Thanks, btw;)

    I think I recall my commentary on that group, too. Not my cup of tea,
    but I guess I accurately predicted you would like it. I'm glad it
    suits you.