Re: Oldtimer asks, Is this place still alive?

W. Bacon

Guest
Short answer: No.

Private, moderated boards have supplanted many (but not all)
newsgroups, this one included.

The bright people are still posting, and fascinating conversations are
happening...elsewhere.

"W. Bacon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Short answer: No.
>
> Private, moderated boards have supplanted many (but not all)
> newsgroups, this one included.
>
> The bright people are still posting, and fascinating conversations are
> happening...elsewhere.

And there are marshmallow's for toasting and carolers out in the snow.
The'll be scary ghost stories and tales of the glories of newsgroups long
long ago!

"W. Bacon" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Short answer: No.
>
>Private, moderated boards have supplanted many (but not all)
>newsgroups, this one included.
>
>The bright people are still posting, and fascinating conversations are
>happening...elsewhere.

Maybe for people like Dan, whose primary interest is celebrity gossip.

JMW wrote:
> "W. Bacon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Short answer: No.
> >
> >Private, moderated boards have supplanted many (but not all)
> >newsgroups, this one included.
> >
> >The bright people are still posting, and fascinating conversations are
> >happening...elsewhere.

> Maybe for people like Dan, whose primary interest is celebrity gossip.<<

Actually, alt.showbiz.gossip and alt.gossip.celebrities are doing very
well, despite the advent of private sites like defamer.com and
perezhilton.com.

But almost all of the interesting discussions of training, supplements,
drugs and so on now happen elsewhere. Oddly enough, one of my fave
boards is one I discovered when JMW suggested I check it out...

Thanks, btw;)

"W. Bacon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>JMW wrote:
>> "W. Bacon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Short answer: No.
>> >
>> >Private, moderated boards have supplanted many (but not all)
>> >newsgroups, this one included.
>> >
>> >The bright people are still posting, and fascinating conversations are
>> >happening...elsewhere.

>> Maybe for people like Dan, whose primary interest is celebrity gossip.<<

>Actually, alt.showbiz.gossip and alt.gossip.celebrities are doing very
>well, despite the advent of private sites like defamer.com and
>perezhilton.com.
>
>But almost all of the interesting discussions of training, supplements,
>drugs and so on now happen elsewhere. Oddly enough, one of my fave
>boards is one I discovered when JMW suggested I check it out...
>
>Thanks, btw;)

I think I recall my commentary on that group, too. Not my cup of tea,
but I guess I accurately predicted you would like it. I'm glad it
suits you.