Re: One victory over the Pharma Cartel

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Peter Moran, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Peter Moran

    Peter Moran Guest

    "Peter Moran" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:...
    > "john" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > "IAHF LIST: Today in London I witnessed a historic victory over the

    Pharma
    > > Cartel, and would like to thank those of you who so generously donated

    > > ANH's legal campaign. "

    > Why is this a victory over the Pharma cartel? Ilena, what do you see as
    > the difference between those who manufacture and sell supplements, and

    those
    > who manufacture and sell supplements? Very often they are one and the
    > same.
    >
    > Peter Moran

    OK, work it out and answer the question I intended. An amazingly apt
    slip of the keyboard.

    Peter Moran

    > > "We still have some way to go to pay legal bills to date, so please

    > continue
    > > to give whatever you can to pay the best legal team in Europe which was
    > > there for you today and are still owed fees. Donations can be made via
    > > http://www.alliance-natural-health.org "

    we
    > > could see the Judge nodding his assent, which gave us all a real feeling

    > of
    > > hope going into the lunch break. The real hub of the case was the
    > > recognition that the directive produced by the European Commission went

    > much
    > > further than it needed to to achieve what it set out to do, which was
    > > harmonize products across Europe.
    > >
    > > (In other words, the ban of around 5000 products containing vitamins and
    > > minerals in the UK alone, could well be illegal- not to mention the

    > blockade
    > > on products being exported from the United States.) What ANH now will be
    > > doing is proving in the EU Court of Justice that the Directive is

    invalid
    > > because its illegally brought in the bans on the back of a harmonizing
    > > directive.
    > >
    > > The result if ANH wins at the next stage will be that any country in the

    > EU
    > > can continue using products that go beyond the restrictions imposed by

    the
    > > positive list. So places like the UK, Holland, Sweden and Ireland can

    > remain
    > > safe havens for innovative products.
    > >
    > > The fascinating thing is that people in Denmark, Germany, France, Spain

    > and
    > > Italy, all of which have highly restrictive regimes, are now getting

    > behind
    > > ANH because they value access to innovative products and nutritional
    > > therapies.
    > >
    > > We may have had a victory today, but this is the beginning of a long

    road,
    > > and its going to be won by consumers around the world taking control of
    > > these issues by getting behind such organizations as IAHF, ANH, Mayday,

    La
    > > Leva di Archimede, National Health Federation, and others which are
    > > untainted by Pharma Influence.
    > >
    > > We still have some way to go to pay legal bills to date, so please

    > continue
    > > to give whatever you can to pay the best legal team in Europe which was
    > > there for you today and are still owed fees. Donations can be made via
    > > http://www.alliance-natural-health.org
    > >
    > > See press release below- I'll be in the UK for another few days, and

    will
    > > provide additional information shortly, including photos which I'll be
    > > uploading to the IAHF website.
    > >
    > > John Hammell, reporting live from the UK

    > > -----------------------
    > > ANH OBTAINS REFERENCE
    > > TO EUROPEAN COURT OF JUSTICE
    > > ON FOOD SUPPLEMENTS BAN
    > >
    > > The landmark cases brought by the Alliance for Natural Health and two UK
    > > industry Associations have been successful both in getting permission

    for
    > > Judicial Review and obtaining a reference to the European Court of

    Justice
    > > in their challenge to the legality of the Food Supplements Directive ban

    > on
    > > nutrients.
    > >
    > > Mr Justice Richards today gave judgment and emphasised that the

    reference
    > > the European Court should be made without delay.
    > >
    > > This is a test case on the proper scope of the legislative powers of the
    > > Community Legislator over member states and has far reaching

    implications
    > > for health and consumer and business freedom of choice.
    > >
    > > The industry and complimentary health organisations around Europe are
    > > hopeful that the European Court of Justice will give its ruling prior to

    > the
    > > imposition of the ban which comes into on 1 August 2005, on up to 270

    > forms
    > > of vitamins and minerals that are currently available in food

    supplements
    > > sold in markets such as the UK, Sweden, Ireland and The Netherlands.
    > >
    > > CONTACT DETAILS for further information:
    > > Dr Robert Verkerk
    > > Executive Director
    > > Tel: 01252 371 275 (general enquiries)
    > > Tel: 0771 484 7225 (direct)
    > > E-mail: [email protected]
    > >
    > > David Hinde, Solicitor
    > > Legal Director
    > > Tel: 07958 548 186 (direct)
    > > E-mail: [email protected]
    > >
    > > ANH LANDMARK LEGAL CHALLENGE TO
    > > EU FOOD SUPPLEMENTS BAN
    > >
    > > Dame Judi Dench, Dame Joan Plowright and Bianca Jagger are among

    thousands
    > > of consumers all over Europe supporting the Alliance for Natural Health
    > > ("ANH") in its application for Judicial Review of the Food Supplements
    > > Directive, which is to be heard in the High Court on Friday 30 January.
    > > Unless challenged successfully, the Directive will ban, from 2005,

    > thousands
    > > of safe products which have been available for years.
    > >
    > > ANH Executive Director, Dr Robert Verkerk, says: "People have had

    enough -
    > > this Directive is supposed to be promoting trade in food supplements in

    > the
    > > EU but actually has the reverse effect. It will prohibit from sale many

    of
    > > the more advanced, safe supplements currently available in the UK,

    Sweden,

    > > Ireland and Holland, forcing these countries to comply with a much more
    > > restrictive regime more typical of the existing regimes in countries

    like
    > > Germany and France. The governments of these countries are openly

    hostile
    > > advanced food supplements. We go to court next Friday to commence a test
    > > case to address this anomaly with a goal of obtaining a legal regime

    which
    > > befits the 21st Century. We want to ensure that the Directive supports

    the
    > > role of nutrition at the heart of healthcare policy.
    > >
    > > We readily endorse the notion of reasonable and proportionate

    legislation
    > > for natural products. But moves to ban around 300 of the 420 or so

    vitamin
    > > and mineral forms currently on the market must be resisted, particularly
    > > when this will prevent the sale of some of the most beneficial food
    > > supplements that have a long and unblemished track record of safety."
    > >
    > > The ANH is supported by consumers, practitioners, and manufacturers and
    > > retailers of innovative food supplements, across 43 countries. Over 80%

    of
    > > funds raised to-date for the challenge have come from the end-users of

    > these
    > > innovative food supplements, who are greatly concerned that the

    Directive
    > > will deprive them of access to advanced, bioavailable and effective

    > products
    > > of their choice.
    > >
    > > David Hinde, Solicitor and Legal Director of the ANH adds: "We have

    lined
    > up
    > > a legal team of the highest calibre with barristers from Brick Court
    > > Chambers and solicitors at the Simkins Partnership. ANH's challenge is

    > based
    > > on EU constitutional law grounds. We say that the ban on food

    supplements
    > > imposed by the Directive is quite unnecessary in order to facilitate the
    > > internal market and thus goes beyond the legal powers of the Community
    > > legislator.
    > >
    > > This case may well prove to be a landmark decision on the interface

    > between
    > > EU legislative powers, the sovereignty of Member States and the

    protection
    > > of individual and companies' rights. We support appropriate legislation

    > but
    > > the Directive in its present form is unworkable and will have a

    > catastrophic
    > > effect on the emerging market for advanced high potency and effective

    food
    > > supplements."
    > >
    > > Erica Murray of the Irish Association of Health Stores who has worked
    > > closely with ANH gathering commercial data from Ireland, comments: "This
    > > Directive needs to be modified if it's going to deal fairly with the
    > > thousands of smaller businesses involved with innovative natural health
    > > products across Europe. Otherwise it will give a huge competitive

    > advantage
    > > to the big companies, which dominate mass-market sales of lower potency
    > > vitamin and mineral supplements from supermarkets and pharmacies. We

    have
    > > lodged voluminous evidence from the UK, Sweden, Ireland and Italy to

    show
    > > that the Directive - if unchallenged - will have dire consequences for
    > > hundreds of smaller businesses in the UK and other parts of Europe."
    > >
    > > Ms Murray adds: "We are pleased to see that other associations have now

    > also
    > > seen the light. In particular, we welcome the decision of the UK trade
    > > associations - the National Association of Health Stores and the Health

    > Food
    > > Manufacturers Association - to mount a parallel challenge. We hope

    Europe
    > > gets the message that people want their advanced supplements. More and

    > more
    > > people are choosing natural products and this freedom of choice should

    not
    > > be denied."
    > > ---end.
    > >
    > > BACKGROUND INFORMATION
    > >

    > > Micronutritient deficiencies in the 'typical diet'
    > > Although many health authorities continue to claim that it is possible

    > > obtain all the nutrients required in a "balanced and varied diet,"

    there
    > is
    > > a rapidly growing body of scientific evidence that demonstrates that

    large
    > > groups of people do not meet the minimum nutritional requirements
    > > established through reference intakes, let alone those needed for

    optimum
    > > health. Micronutritional status has been shown to be particularly

    > inadequate
    > > for particular groups such as the young, elderly, vegans or patients

    with
    > > malabsorption. ,
    > > Many factors contribute to reduced micronutrient intake.
    > >
    > > These include inadequate consumption of fresh fruit and vegetables,
    > > increased consumption of processed foods, poor dietary choices, lower

    food
    > > intake caused by less active lifestyles and inappropriate cooking

    methods.
    > > Furthermore, intensive training regimes, stress, smoking and exposure to
    > > environmental chemicals places additional demands on the body and

    > increases
    > > the requirement for particular micronutrients. For example, that a

    smoker
    > > needs to consume 4 times the RDA of Vitamin C in order to have the same
    > > plasma level of Vitamin C as a non-smoker.
    > >
    > > National nutrition surveys undertaken in the UK have shown that that

    large
    > > minorities are not reaching their dietary targets for Reference Nutrient
    > > Intakes (RNIs). , , In the case of the elderly, inadequate intake of
    > > vitamin D, magnesium, Vitamin K and copper have been of particular

    > concern.9
    > >

    > > In a major UK survey of dietary habits of 4 to 18 year-olds, it has

    been
    > > shown that the most commonly consumed foods are white bread, savoury

    > snacks,
    > > chips, biscuits, potatoes and chocolate confectionery. Additionally, it

    > was
    > > found that boys eat, by weight, nearly four times as many biscuits than
    > > leafy green vegetables, while girls eat, by weight, more than four times

    > as
    > > much sweets and chocolate than leafy green vegetables.
    > >
    > > The same survey also revealed that 91% of girls aged 4-6 years failed to
    > > reach the RNI for zinc (a key mineral required for the immune system);

    > while
    > > 97 % of girls aged 15 to 18 years did not reach the RNI for magnesium,

    73%
    > > did not reach the RNI for zinc, and 53 % did not reach the RNI (200 ìg)

    > for
    > > folic acid, despite recent studies that demonstrate that intakes well

    over
    > > 400 ìg are likely to be required to minimise risk of neural tube

    defects.

    > > The case for supplementation
    > > There has been a rapid recent expansion of the body of scientific

    evidence
    > > in peer-reviewed journals which demonstrates that use of food

    supplements
    > > can improve overall nutritional status and key bio-markers for health as
    > > well as reduce risk of chronic diseases.11
    > >
    > > However, many of the large scale clinical studies carried out to

    > investigate
    > > the effects of nutrient supplementation have involved single or limited
    > > numbers of nutrients, often at suboptimal doses. Such studies are likely

    > > underestimate the benefits of supplementation, given that many nutrients
    > > function synergistically.
    > >
    > > A major review of studies on the relationships between vitamin intake

    and
    > > various diseases published between 1966 and 2002 demonstrated that
    > > suboptimal levels of vitamin intake are associated with increased risk

    of
    > > contracting a variety of chronic diseases, including cancer, heart

    disease
    > > and osteoporosis. The authors of this study concluded that many

    > physicians
    > > may be unaware of common food sources of vitamins or may be unsure which
    > > vitamins they should recommend for their patients and given the current
    > > status of scientific knowledge it may be prudent for most adults to
    > > supplement their diet with a daily multivitamin.11
    > >
    > > A study which followed 11,178 people between the ages of 67 and 105 over

    > the
    > > period 1984 - 1993 concluded that the overall risk of death was reduced

    by
    > > 42% for those who took higher dose supplements of vitamins C and E.
    > >
    > > It was demonstrated conclusively following a randomised double-blind
    > > prevention trial across 7 countries that women who took supplements
    > > containing 400 ìg folic acid reduced the risk of having babies with

    neural
    > > tube defects such as spina bifida by some 72%.
    > >
    > > In a very large study of 88,756 women from the Nurses' Health Study who

    > were
    > > free of cancer in 1980 and provided updated assessments of diet,

    including
    > > multivitamin supplement use, from 1980 to 1994, were followed through

    for
    > > colon cancer. It was found that long term use (over 15 years use), but

    not
    > > short-term use (less than 4 years use) of multivitamins containing folic
    > > acid markedly reduced (ca. 5-fold) the frequency of colon cancer.
    > >
    > > In a further epidemiological study involving 87,245 female nurses, it

    was
    > > found, after adjustment for age and smoking, that long-term Vitamin E
    > > supplementation alone was associated with a 9% reduction in heart

    disease.
    > > Vitamin C (1000 mg /day) and E (800 IU /day) supplements have been shown

    > > significantly reduce the development of arteriosclerosis.
    > >
    > > In a clinical intervention study (CHAOS) of 2002 coronary patients by
    > > Cambridge University scientists, supplementation of up to 800 IU vitamin

    > > (in the á-tocopherol form) per day for over two years was associated

    with