Re: Online power calculators

On Apr 13, 12:54 am, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 1:57 pm, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Which
> > one is more correct?

> Here is another one you might want to try:http://www.whitemountainwheels.com/SpeedPower.html
>
> If you find anything screwy with the results, please let me know.

That's a nice spreadsheet! I have a poor-man's manual version for my
local TT course. It will be fun to see how close it is!

> BTW, that looks like a pretty good power level. Was that an all-out
> effort, or were you at a pace you could sustain for a long time?

This was 40km into 60km ride. It was a maintainable effort. I knew I
was going to get dropped on this hill, so I settled into my own pace
from the start rather than over-do it. I'm sure that if there were
helicopters filming, I could have gone faster. This was a sustainable
effort level. If the plan was to stop at the top of the hill, I would
have gone faster, but I knew I needed to keep the power up over the
crest and down the backside to catch the others. I knew they would
wait, but I wanted to catch up ASAP, and I knew that as soon as I
caught them it would be hammer down again, it was not all-out. (I
saved that for my attempt at a flyer 2km from the finish!) I used
39x21. The 23 was too light so I couldn't maintain speed, and the 19
was too heavy. With a 20 I may have been able to go faster. This ride
has about 550m of ascent, and we did a 6 man echelon the whole way and
many times during the ride I was going at a higher intensity level
(almost dropped) than during this steady climb. I don't use a HRM on
group rides, so I don't know how that looked. I use these rides as
"fartslek" natural intervall training. If the sensation in my legs
when I got home is anything to go by, it was quite effective!

Joseph

On Apr 13, 12:54 am, "Ron Ruff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 1:57 pm, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Which
> > one is more correct?

> Here is another one you might want to try:http://www.whitemountainwheels.com/SpeedPower.html
>
> If you find anything screwy with the results, please let me know.
>
> BTW, that looks like a pretty good power level. Was that an all-out
> effort, or were you at a pace you could sustain for a long time?

I finally got around to plugging in the values from my local 10km TT
profile into your spreadsheet. It looks very good. I have deceide
upon .007 for rolling resistance due to the rough surface.

But I wonder what CdA is appropriate? Using .35 my Watt figures to
more like 380-390 which is more reasonable that my earlier estimate
which must have had some errors. The only difference is the latest
figures were done during a TT using a heart rate monitor where I kept
my HR in a specific range, while the earlier calculation was just
going by feel.

So is .35 reasonable CdA?

Joseph